Author Topic: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?  (Read 106426 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?
« Reply #225: April 24, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
I'm one of those players that plays less characters than I'm entitled to, but I think I will try a character in WI to see what that island is all about.  :)

It's not a bad thing. All I'm saying is that if someone tells themselves they only have time for two characters, and they are attracted by the WI, this extra character slot may not translate in an additional character.

About the War Islands, I'd also add something else... BM is not the same as it was back when we last had them. If we expect the same results, we are bound to be disappointed. The War Islands relied heavily on a team spirit that has long since vanished. Might yield good results, but it might also end up being as war-like as FEI is an "RP island" and Dwi is an "SMA island"... not at all how they started out and what was hoped of them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #226: April 24, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »
Well, I guarantee you we won't have peace on the War Island.

Broadly, though, that is a possibility. However, I'm hoping to see it start to bring back the team spirit and the hunger for war that "Classic BattleMaster" seemed to engender. Especially when combined with the War Improvements Package.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #227: April 24, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
If the war island turns into a RP SMA permadeath island... I might actually play a character on it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: April 24, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
If the war island turns into a RP SMA permadeath island... I might actually play a character on it.

I've never played on the old war Islands, but my impression was it was meant as the least SMA of all islands where BM was more of a game of strategy than a RP game. Am I wrong?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #229: April 24, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »
I've never played on the old war Islands, but my impression was it was meant as the least SMA of all islands where BM was more of a game of strategy than a RP game. Am I wrong?

Yes and no.

First of all, of course, SMA wasn't even conceived of until the War Islands were being shut down, and Dwilight opened.

More generally, though, yes, the War Islands were more military in nature, and there was a lot more focus on that aspect of the game than there was in some other places...but I remember there being a lot of roleplay there, too. Having lots of epic battles really is (at least in my experience) more conducive to telling interesting stories.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #230: April 24, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
We've lost 51 registered players since January. Something worth debating is the effect of seasons on player retention. Player losses occurred 69% in Autumn; 18% in Spring; 13% in Winter. Summer is the only time we gained players. Among the continents, Dwilight has lost the most chars.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231: April 24, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
If I knew that more specifically, I'd be able to do at least some of it myself ;D

Update the site's look, give it a more modern feel, while still keeping the BattleMaster aesthetic. As far as I'm concerned, nothing's off the table in terms of making the game more interesting, more fun, and more attractive to players new and old. (I won't necessarily approve any given change—but I'll certainly listen to it.)

To be honest, the most important page is the front page. It just isn't that appealing. Its too dark and dreary, not streamlined or very grabbing.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: April 24, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »
In the end, though, it all just seems like band-aids. All "fixes" are to extend the life of the game a little, but there is no solution in sight for stopping playerbase decay.

I think we do have to accept, to a certain extent, that this game is not going to last forever. Eventually it will come to an end.

For the foreseeable future though, I imagine there will always be a niche for a game like Battlemaster even if that niche might get smaller over time.

And you know what? If we get to a point where the game has to be reduced to a single, small continent full of characters playing dynamically then I'd be happy with that. As long as the game is still fun then I don't care if it's only a maybe a hundred people playing it or even less.

I'm also fairly sure that, in the long run, the player base will eventually bottom out to a sustainable level. There will probably be a lot more changes to the game involved with that but I reckon it will happen.

On the other hand, even if that doesn't happen, even if the game does eventually die then it's certainly got a fair few years left in it at the very minimum. So really we should be doing all we can to have fun playing it and to make the game as much fun as possible - because sooner or later every single one of us will have to stop playing at some point.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #233: April 24, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »
Furthermore, we do have at least general solutions in mind: Make the game more fun, and get a graphical overhaul done when we can (i.e., when we actually have someone on the dev team who has graphical skills).

In the meantime, my recommendation for the players still in the game is: Play the game. Have fun. Be fun to play with. Don't panic or stress out about the decline in the playerbase; leave that to the dev team.

The #1 thing every single player can do to help the game be more fun is to play it actively, treat it as a game, and do your best to include others in your fun.
Timothy Collett

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #234: April 25, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
We've lost 51 registered players since January. Something worth debating is the effect of seasons on player retention. Player losses occurred 69% in Autumn; 18% in Spring; 13% in Winter. Summer is the only time we gained players. Among the continents, Dwilight has lost the most chars.

Asylon might fall apart in next couple of days/weeks. It will be interesting to see how many players will quit the game.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #235: April 25, 2014, 05:47:14 AM »
The #1 thing every single player can do to help the game be more fun is to play it actively, treat it as a game, and do your best to include others in your fun.

Its easier said than done... *coughs* thread we are posting in. For a long time we've known the route and niche this has been in will not last forever, but hey well see. mm where did I leave my hat?

Not many left who remember the war islands, but it should draw some people in/back. Toren must have a lot of seaweed on it.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #236: April 25, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »

Asylon might fall apart in next couple of days/weeks. It will be interesting to see how many players will quit the game.

Actually i do not understand what's in the mind of the players especially the rulers. Swordfell could had made it very fun by helping out Asylon, but they chose to go about their own business. Astrum and Morek probably have their own IC agenda and not suitable to help Asylon out. That's understandable. But even that can be turned around. Morek can always choose to wipe out Astrum and suddenly Astrum helping out Asylon. You see there are so many opportunities for stories and twist but yet, these rulers i believe do not want any of that. Any threat must be wiped out so that they can go back to their boring life. It is a game where it involves a big group collaborating to make it fun for everyone else. But somehow, the rulers for some of these realms are rather selfish and self-sufficient(or so they think).

I tried my best in Beluaterra to create an event and make it fun for everyone else. Realms that are heading downwards or being monotonous are often wiped out while those that showed a high level of activity of often being spared. What i am trying to say is, it is really up to the ruler to make the game fun for everyone else. Think about it.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #237: April 25, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
Morek can always choose to wipe out Astrum and suddenly Astrum helping out Asylon.
The hatred between Asylon and Astrum runs deep.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #238: April 25, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
The hatred between Asylon and Astrum runs deep.

My apologies for the bad english. Posting early in the morning is a bad choice. Yes, that was what i was saying. IC wise, it is understandable. But the players and rulers can always make different things happen. But some of the players are so afraid of losing that it became boring for everyone else. What's the point then?

Zakilevo

« Reply #239: April 25, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
No worries. Once I become a ruler again, it will definitely happen  8) since I don't give a crap about losing.