Author Topic: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?  (Read 106108 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?
« Reply #345: January 09, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
Do people really set a bunch of open estates and wait for them to 'fill'?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #346: January 09, 2015, 02:31:33 AM »
Many do yes. It ensures that new characters/players have estates to select from the character creation page.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #347: January 09, 2015, 02:44:26 AM »
Density doesn't matter with the current estate system. Lords who have an empty estate just lose money so that number of free estate slots in a realm is always tiny and many players per region just lead to people getting shafted in tiny estates.

Density allows for more realms, which in turn allows for lesser distance between said realms.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #348: January 09, 2015, 02:45:41 AM »
I don't see why density would give more realms instead of larger ones.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #349: January 09, 2015, 02:48:17 AM »

Because more people fighting over the same titles tends to lead to splits? And because having too few nobles tends to discourage splits, as each fraction would be nonviable on its own?

Density always seemed to lead to more realms in my experience...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #350: January 09, 2015, 02:49:24 AM »

It varies, but in general the theory is more characters = more points of view = more ambitious nobles fighting for fewer positions of power = more arguments = more realms.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #351: January 09, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »
That might be true when you increase the number of players while holding number of regions constant, but what has been done in practice is decreasing number of regions while holding player numbers constant. I don't think the latter case can logically lead to more realms.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #352: January 09, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »
That might be true when you increase the number of players while holding number of regions constant, but what has been done in practice is decreasing number of regions while holding player numbers constant. I don't think the latter case can logically lead to more realms.

It COULD, since again forcing density has the propensity to force internal conflict which leads to splits. But as with all things it makes assumptions, like characters being different enough to create the conflict, characters with the opportunity and power to do something actually being involved etc. However Chénier was making general statements about density, not necessarily stating that actions like the glacier to force higher density would result in more realms.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #353: January 09, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »

It COULD, since again forcing density has the propensity to force internal conflict which leads to splits. But as with all things it makes assumptions, like characters being different enough to create the conflict, characters with the opportunity and power to do something actually being involved etc. However Chénier was making general statements about density, not necessarily stating that actions like the glacier to force higher density would result in more realms.

Indeed, it was more of a general statement. However, the thing with historics is that it all depends where you put the start of the data. Did increasing the density increase the number of realms on Dwilight? No, it did not. We even lost many, but let's just picture an earlier post-invasion time when the realms of the west were struggling for a foothold, because we also lost a lot of density since that. If you look at farther back, however, you'll see that the realm:density ratio of the post-invasion was the same as one found before.

I don't think I'm being very clear right now, though...

Let's look at it another way: realm numbers react more quickly to increases of density than to decreases. While logically, one could assume that if increasing density results in splits, decreases should result in mergers. But for one, realm mergers are against the rules. Then, one must consider that people grow attached to realms, and will stick to them for far longer than they are viable.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #354: January 10, 2015, 03:08:47 AM »
I forgot what we were even arguing about.

I think inter-realm conflict is much more fun than intra-realm conflict

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #355: April 01, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »
DateRegistered PlayersWeekly ActivityDaily Activity
2014 Jan. 26th (peak count)880577304
2014 March 1st (Beginning of freezing)825539288
April 10th797541293
2014 May 1st799533305
2014 June 16th (WI created)784491277
2014 July 3rd757460248
2014 August 13th736445250
2014 October 21st683402224
2015 March 30th566370184
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #356: April 06, 2015, 05:02:43 AM »
RIP, better extract the players to a game that has a subscription while you still can.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357: April 17, 2015, 01:13:25 AM »
This kind of tallies with what I've found with the game. There seems to have been a massive decline lately and I have to confess that I myself wound up auto pausing because there was nothing interesting happening with any of my characters that made logging in worth while.

I've unpaused again but things seem really dead across the board.