Author Topic: The Current Struggle.  (Read 24110 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Current Struggle.
« Reply #15: April 10, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »
On a completely different topic, whats the difference between the newspaper + forum and posting IG letters directly on the forum?
We don't allow letter posting on the forums due to problems with arguments and flame wars. Forum discussions can be fast and heated, quickly devolving into arguments and flame wars. Wiki posts don't evoke that kind of response. So posting of IG messages on the wiki for newspapers is fine.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 10, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
Is this about the attack on Krimml? How is this abuse of mechanics? I don't get it...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 10, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
I do believe I have seen some of them, though hardly read them.

On a completely different topic, whats the difference between the newspaper + forum and posting IG letters directly on the forum?

Is normally the perception of which they are explained, for example:

Ingame Message:
You XXXX Ruler of X i demand you to move your troops back or face war!

Newspaper:
ZZZZ From Z demanded XXXX >From X to withdraw his troops from their borders, this tension could escalate into a war quickly.

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 10, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
Is normally the perception of which they are explained, for example:

Ingame Message:
You XXXX Ruler of X i demand you to move your troops back or face war!

Newspaper:
ZZZZ From Z demanded XXXX >From X to withdraw his troops from their borders, this tension could escalate into a war quickly.

Also, it should be added that newspapers are often propaganda media.
Someone should not take everything as real what is written there.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 10, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »
Once again i get too see the mayhem of messages due to massive war.

My thanks to the BM players who brought this exciting moment.

ps:
TO ARMS!

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 10, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
Ugh I have 100+ messages and I'm seriously wounded.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 11, 2014, 02:27:03 AM »
Interesting turn of events with Sirion.
That is a good attack. I applaud the efforts involved even though our characters may be enemies soon enough ;)

Once again i get too see the mayhem of messages due to massive war.

My thanks to the BM players who brought this exciting moment.

ps:
TO ARMS!
Yes, I can see lot of messages too. It is exciting, surprising at times to hear from many players, all at same time.

Go read the newspapers first! ;)

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/New_Westmoor/Archives/Letters#Southern_Alliance_.28Perdan.2C_Fallangard.2C_Perleone.2C_Westmoor.29_Declaration_of_war_against_the_Republic_of_Sirion_sent_on_April_7_of_the_year_1014

In case Ecthelion does not forward my letters. ;)
Also I like the newspaper, currently the only active EC newspaper is Westmoor.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Karlaek

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 17, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
Interesting that a region defected from Sirion at the start of all of this, does anybody think more defections are in order?  Also, as somebody who had a different family from long ago, but is generally fairly new... why hasn't there been a secession of a duchy in Sirion?  I would imagine in such a big realm it would be bound to happen eventually, especially at times like this when Sirion would be unable to quell the new realm effectively.

Zakilevo

« Reply #23: April 17, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
Because they have this thing called Perdan on the other side of the continent wanting to wipe them out.

Also, have you even seen their list of dukes? All insanely loyal to Sirion. Unless Perdan fragments, Sirion won't fragment. The only reason Krimml defected was because well the duchess there was the infamous Relak family. I wouldn't be surprised if the duchess changes her side again when things start favouring Sirion.

Karlaek

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 17, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
What makes them so loyal?

Zakilevo

« Reply #25: April 17, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
They usually make their dukes serve in a military for a long time. When you fight for one realm for a long time, you will care more for that realm because you have invested significant hours into that realm. You don't see many people destroying their own achievements.

Zakilevo

« Reply #26: April 17, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
Actually that also makes you more likely to betray your own realm to keep your city. Because you probably think you've earned it. That is why most realms don't appoint their less trusted dukes into outer cities where it is easier to defect. Giselle, Duchess of Krimml, was probably a mistake on their part. Her family has a long history with that but sometimes you forget.

Karlaek

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 17, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
Interesting... thanks for the info!

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 17, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »
Because they have this thing called Perdan on the other side of the continent wanting to wipe them out.

Not true, go read the newspapers.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 17, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
Interesting that a region defected from Sirion at the start of all of this, does anybody think more defections are in order?  Also, as somebody who had a different family from long ago, but is generally fairly new... why hasn't there been a secession of a duchy in Sirion?  I would imagine in such a big realm it would be bound to happen eventually, especially at times like this when Sirion would be unable to quell the new realm effectively.

You're unlikely to see more defections. It's also going to get much much harder to get into Sirion once they lose Oligarch. Avamar and Trinbar are ridiculously defensible. The outer-lying cities were always incredibly vulnerable. The only real way to defend them was what happend back in the day with the Fontan-Sirion-OR alliance.

Actually that also makes you more likely to betray your own realm to keep your city. Because you probably think you've earned it. That is why most realms don't appoint their less trusted dukes into outer cities where it is easier to defect. Giselle, Duchess of Krimml, was probably a mistake on their part. Her family has a long history with that but sometimes you forget.

Long history huh? So there was Serko in Topenah(?) on FEI, and then Gregor with Fontan and the Confederacy which was a civil war. That's twice in over 12 years.

Also, have you even seen their list of dukes? All insanely loyal to Sirion. Unless Perdan fragments, Sirion won't fragment. The only reason Krimml defected was because well the duchess there was the infamous Relak family. I wouldn't be surprised if the duchess changes her side again when things start favouring Sirion.

Giselle had her reasons for going to Westmoor with the Duchy. The city was already at >50% taken over by Fallangard, and as has been put into the newspaper she despises the Fallangardians for their treachery of Caligus, so she did the next best thing she went to a realm she would be welcomed in without even announcing it first.

If Caligus doesn't see that Fallangard is coming for them if it takes a northern city they're blind. But I don't think they're blind I think they're helpless.

They usually make their dukes serve in a military for a long time. When you fight for one realm for a long time, you will care more for that realm because you have invested significant hours into that realm. You don't see many people destroying their own achievements.

If I might interject, the reason is because the list of candidates who have been in the realm for so long is extensive. They have deep deep ties to the realm, and the way Dukes are selected generally means things are stable (They're voted on by the realm council as a whole, Giselle played both factions to get elected). Then in the way the realm is run the Dukes have a significant say in how things go forward. This means there is little incentive to leave as you have significant power in a large realm. Now Giselle's Duchy was always sort of a backwater, it didn't produce much gold, was heavily indebted to the realm for its defense and food, mostly because of the significant militia presence, which didn't mean a damn when the military went kaput, and so left helpless she took her Duchy and said no thanks to being the Duchess who couldn't defend her Duchy because her realm didn't do a thing for it.

Don't you all wonder why Aedenah stepped down so quickly as general after the defeat in Krimml too?