Author Topic: The Night's Watch Realm  (Read 16781 times)

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
The Night's Watch Realm
« Topic Start: April 12, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »
As some might have noticed by now, I have sent a letter conveying a message trying to explain why we should create such a realm. I will repeat the idea here in simpler wordings:

OOC'ly we know the monsters will stay West, and that we are just forced to migrate, but we kind of just assumed our characters magically knew aswell. As a result, I sent this message IC'ly warning people about the monsters possibly following us, and the need of a defense organized for the sake of Dwilight's humans. Hence, this IC'ly totally epic and useful realm that OOC'ly actually makes not much sense (but the devs hinted, or rather handed us the tiniest spark of hope that should this succeed they might make it an interesting PvE fight).

Result: We get the Night's Watch. They will be a PvE realm that will fight ungodly large hordes of monsters with only a small area and as a result will need to be supported by all other realms, very much as the Night's Watch is supposed to be supported in the GoT universe. In here that will mean a steady tax of gold and food to keep the PvE going. Additionally, you can send your banished traitors etc there instead of to another continent ot straight away executing them.

I will see how everyone will react to this, and if people are willing to cooperate, which'd be awesome, we can get this started.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:26:56 AM by Roran »

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Night's Watch Realm
« Reply #1: April 12, 2014, 03:52:19 AM »
Sounds like Swordfell (it's always been more of PvE because monster-noble ratio), but more of a military junta style government. It sounds awesome enough to tempt me.

It might not even need constant funding. A decent founding group with deep pockets could setup the realm to be sustainable fairly quickly. A good city, some easily defended rurals, stacks of recruitment centers, and enough nobles could probably keep a hold in the west.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 12, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »
I would love (lovelovelovelovelove) to have a second character on Dwilight so that I could have a character join; if this good thing Cathan's got going for him goes south, though...
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: April 12, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
the best location to do this would probably be Tower Fatmilak and Candiels or Valkyrja

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 12, 2014, 05:24:38 AM »
Depending on the support you had, one of the donut coastal cities could work. Preferably one of the smaller ones.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 12, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
The locations are determined for IC reasons and will most likely be the isle of Yggdramir and if really succesful Candiels in the South too. Maybe more regions to sustain us, but those'll be our bases of operation if everything goes smoothly and the leaders of the realms would bother messaging me back.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 12, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
It's a really cool idea, Roran. But wouldn't an hypothetical monster invasion come from the north-west? Monsters were lately travelling to the western island through the north, which is connected by land, right?

I mean, it this "Night's Watch" is thought as a wall against monster invasions, maybe it'd be more reasonable to settle it in the north. If it's intended as a "beach's head" for realms to keep human presence in the west, I guess the locations proposed would work fine.

Hope to see it working soon!  :)

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 12, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »
Hence, the Yggdramir island as a base, and then if it is possible at all trying to hold maybe one or two regions in the North-Western mainland. Problem is that should that be impossible that we would have no land at all, unless we'd have the Yggdramir island (which is connected with bridges) as a base of operations.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #8: April 13, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Unless the monster CS drops massively, you won't be able to hold a rural region against them unless you have a 20k CS strong force stationed there 24/7. Best bet is to get a heavily fortified city and try to hold that. We're looking at 25k CS a turn right now.

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 16, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
So in a few days I'm going to travel North and hope people join the idea. So far I've had a few interested people and one actual ruler who bothered replying. I feel a bit sad but we'll see.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 16, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
Hey, there's been a little change in the plans: Barca is going to hold the Night's Watch Realm. So please, send your nobles, food and gold supplies to us. A lot of them, please.

The future of Humanity in Dwilight depends on you. Thank you.

;D

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 16, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
It would be better if it was its own realm.  If you are part of another realm you will have the political ramifications to go with it.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 16, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »
Silly dustole. There are always political ramifications. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 16, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
I was supposed to be a joke, as far as I know the Night's Watch will be an independent realm. Nevermind.  :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 16, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
Who cares if Paisly holds, Paisland will!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron