Author Topic: The Night's Watch Realm  (Read 16986 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: The Night's Watch Realm
« Reply #15: April 17, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »
Hence, the Yggdramir island as a base, and then if it is possible at all trying to hold maybe one or two regions in the North-Western mainland. Problem is that should that be impossible that we would have no land at all, unless we'd have the Yggdramir island (which is connected with bridges) as a base of operations.

No Asylonian will ever send troops to defend anything above Astrum and Morek.  ;D
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 19, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
To clarify, Barca will not be the Night's Watch realm, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to leave a realm. Otherwise I'll just start travelling North. I do feel that this is going to fail miraculously bad though because of the extremely limited reactions I have had in-game, despite the relatively minor interest here OOC.

But heck, for IC reasons I'm forced to stick to it. We'll see how everything goes.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 19, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
You cannot leave a realm without joining a new one. You can't just declare yourself rogue.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 21, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
OOC'ly we know the monsters will stay West, and that we are just forced to migrate, but we kind of just assumed our characters magically knew aswell.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to disagree with you. The monsters have devastated the west within a month, yet the vast majority of the east remains untouched. In addition, I don't think monsters have ever crossed sea channels/sea regions, so there's little reason to believe that's changed. Sure, there's fear, confusion, and chaos in the minds of the survivors, but there's no real proof that anyone's in danger. In other words, it's visibly clear that the east isn't being invaded.

I think your idea has great merit. Going on "rangings" would be a lot of fun, especially for those wanting to build up honor and prestige, or those who want to develop their characters RPly. However, without any actual, tangible threat, I fear the majority of people will just ignore your character's warnings.

If the devs abandoned the Zuma for the monsters instead, I think your idea could gain some ground. If a dev sent a monstrous horde through Yggdramir, the threat could definitely materialize. By occasionally, I mean once every four to eight seasons (every winter/other winter :P,) and by monstrous horde, I mean a force ten to twenty-five thousand CS strong. I don't think anyone would be able to deny a potential invasion after that.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 21, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Honestly, it would be pretty good if several thousand CS (10k-20k) of monsters crossed into the Nifel peninsula; it would pull Morek north and force a treaty with Asylon which would leave them in control of Unterstrom (which would be good for the game even if my character will swear a thousand oaths of vengeance).  It would also make the monster invasion feel more "real" because of the legitimate threat of annihilation across the bridges of Yggdramir; more organic and less gamey, if you will.  Plus it's somewhat awkward that Astrum's capital is now at Mimer, but they still hold Valkyrja way up there in the north.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #20: April 21, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
There. I've helped ICly where I can.

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 21, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
I have departed, and I'll see how it turns out. Dev aid for this idea would be most appreciated, but for now we will have to trust the RP ability of the player population.

Anyways, now here I am hoping I don't get imprisoned while travelling. That'd suck big time. Stupid war  ::)

@Wolfsong: Thanks

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #22: April 21, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »
1. You will probably be imprisoned.
2. Don't count on dev aid at all. Devs aren't supposed to get involved or play favorites.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 21, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »
I have departed, and I'll see how it turns out. Dev aid for this idea would be most appreciated, but for now we will have to trust the RP ability of the player population.

Anyways, now here I am hoping I don't get imprisoned while travelling. That'd suck big time. Stupid war  ::)

What realm is your character from?
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 21, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Barca for now.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 21, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
In addition, I don't think monsters have ever crossed sea channels/sea regions, so there's little reason to believe that's changed.
Monsters do, indeed, cross seas, using the old sea routes. We saw this quite regularly in Astrum in the early days, with monsters routinely going back and forth between Mimer and Libidizedd, and Mimer and that-connecting-city-in-D'Hara. I can't see any reason why a character would believe that monsters can't cross the oceans on sea routes, unless it's some kind of RP thing. It is probably rare on Dwilight, though, as sea routes terminate in fortified cities. You don't often find situation where monster groups can beat the militia, and then survive to travel on to the next region.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 21, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »
Dev aid for this idea would be most appreciated, but for now we will have to trust the RP ability of the player population.
If a dev sent a monstrous horde through Yggdramir, the threat could definitely materialize.
There is no Dev intervention for player-driven events. You'll have convince the other players to go along with your plans.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 21, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
Or hope to get (un)lucky.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 26, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »
This is my journal from now on.

Arrived in Swordfell, overal positive responses to the idea, the entire plan might actually just work in the end. Interesting.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 26, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
I took my advy to Valkyrja looking for this but no one there has heard anything about it.  You might wanna inform the people whose land you intend to use of your idea.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)