Author Topic: Adventurer Thread  (Read 19206 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Thread
« Reply #15: May 19, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Well, yes it costs them some money to send letters. But seeing they receive between 5 and 15 gold each month if they make it to the full ranks, that shouldn't be a problem.

Um...no, they don't.  Not unless you make a proactive effort to deposit money in the guild treasuries and get advies to withdraw it.

That 5-15 gold per month is just to the guild balance, which doesn't pay for messages.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 19, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »
are portal stones even of any use outside of say... bt?
firefox

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 19, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Someone should gather them all on Atamara to find out. For the laughs.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 19, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Um...no, they don't.  Not unless you make a proactive effort to deposit money in the guild treasuries and get advies to withdraw it.

That 5-15 gold per month is just to the guild balance, which doesn't pay for messages.

yes, it' slightly annoying that I have to deposit the money in the treasury myself, for them to pick up. But I guess that's only realictic.

Before, I was in a guild, and I had to pay a fee that was automatically taken from me every month, I think. Or perhaps it said 'you're balance has been adjusted accordingly', so I never paid, seeing the guildhouse was half a continent away :P

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 19, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
hah.. i blew a few of them stones repairing items
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 19, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
I know of an advy on Dwi who is about half way to collecting the stones, I think

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 19, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
Anyone know where the stones are found? Which regions?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 19, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
Before, I was in a guild, and I had to pay a fee that was automatically taken from me every month, I think. Or perhaps it said 'you're balance has been adjusted accordingly', so I never paid, seeing the guildhouse was half a continent away :P

Yes, just like you can't actually pay people through a guild, only adjust their balance upward, you can't actually take money from people through a guild—just adjust their balance downward.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 19, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »
I didn't know that, thanks!

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #24: May 20, 2011, 01:26:28 AM »
I was looking to see why _adventurers_ wouldn't be interested to join said venture, really :)

I've been trying to explain to you IC, but not sure you've picked up on it.

5 gold per month is nothing. My advy can sometimes earn that in a single day, fighting larger groups or where there is a bounty. It isn't enough reason to join a guild.

Only reason i can think of to join is for more communication; more shared reports and news, and a bigger roleplay audience. Or, to band together against noble outrages :-)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #25: May 20, 2011, 02:04:28 AM »
are portal stones even of any use outside of say... bt?

I guess Anaris or Foundation could say this with even greater certainty...They might be ingredients for unique items or magic scrolls, since those seem to use all other items randomly. Most other fantasies about what they do are just that. But strangely enough those rumors persist, so maybe t mere fact that people actually put effort into obtaining them gives them purpose: That of perceived value, and the consequent pursuit of them in the belief that such value is real.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #26: May 20, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »
Personally I'd like to keep portal stones a mystery (I haven't looked at the code).  They seem like something mysterious that you can always try for and have fun... or (!fun!) with.

Regarding guilds, I think there's a misconception where many think that balances mean much beyond being a number... it is just a number, nothing more, nothing less.  Gold can be taken or put into the treasury, but the fact that your balance changes depending on your deposits/withdrawals/allowances/fees is simply recordkeeping.  Gold is still gold, it can't be made our of thin air nor taken from your pockets.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 20, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
I've been trying to explain to you IC, but not sure you've picked up on it.

5 gold per month is nothing. My advy can sometimes earn that in a single day, fighting larger groups or where there is a bounty. It isn't enough reason to join a guild.

Only reason i can think of to join is for more communication; more shared reports and news, and a bigger roleplay audience. Or, to band together against noble outrages :-)

Yes, playing as an adventurer I've noticed that too. But seeing an advy only needs '1 silver for daily expenditures', I suppose 5 gold can make life a bit easier :P And it dissolves the excuse for advies not to send letters because they cost some silver.

With the Champion and everything, I've tried to make membership a little more appealing. I'll see if I can get that project started again. And I'll try to RP every now and then, or design rituals for promotions and everything. I have exams upcoming though, and a summer packed with activities (and more exams:p), so I want to avoid creating a boost now only to shut down my efforts later.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 20, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
Just to bring it back to a question that hasn't received any response yet:

...can an item gain prestige while held by an adventurer? Logic says no, but then that isn't always what counts :)

A couple other things that I'm wondering about:

What happens if you are carrying a weapon on your advy and you happen to make another weapon at a sage?

Second, when it comes to naming items, I've heard that the names are random. I just created an item with the name "Glowing Vest"; this seems to indicate that within the third variable option (normally it would be "Glowing Vest of Something"), nothing is also an option. This makes me sad  :'(

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #29: May 20, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
Items gain prestige from two ways, I believe. This comes from about 3 years of observation. I'm fairly confident I'm correct here, but as always, I'm interested to know if there are any lesser known features.

1. A noble holds it and goes through battles with it. The conditions that lead to prestige increase from battles are unknown to me. Not all battles lead to prestige gains, and there doesn't seem to be a clear connection between quantity of battles and prestige gains. Possibly size of battles? There exists some vague "glory" value which might play a role possibly.

2. An adventurer holds it and meets a sage who can improve the item. This is relatively new and probably uncommon. This is the only way I know about that an adventurer can directly increase the prestige of an item, and even have it imbued with special abilities.

Now for naming. The convention looks like the following: <Prefix> <Item Name> <Suffix>

Note that it is not necessarily the case that the prefix and suffix have to contain only one value, or any values at all. Of course, it is exceedingly rare to see something called simply "Sword", and it might in fact be impossible if there is a condition set for all items that it needs at least one value in either prefix or suffix. Item name also does not refer to item type, but the actual name of the item, like "Sword", "Book", "Scroll", "Saber", etc. There appear to be a lot of prefixes and suffixes as well, and with more than one prefix/suffix value for any given item, there are quite a few possibilities, such that even if a given name is taken out of the random generating machine after it's discovered, it is probably still unlikely that the same item name would pop up without any restrictions on naming.