Author Topic: "You have not posted in X days"  (Read 1670 times)

Jens Namtrah

"You have not posted in X days"
« Topic Start: April 22, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »
Stealing this idea from Stackoverflow.

I think a lot of players might interact a little bit more if they were aware of how long it's been since they last wrote something. A lot of times, people think they do things far more often than they actually do.

Therefore, set a "message time threshhold" for talking to the whole realm, talking to your knights (if a lord), talking to the realm if you are in govt. but with slightly different message.

When a player checks his messages, if he has passed the "threshhold", an overlay message saying something like:

"Battlemaster is an interactive roleplaying game, and we count on the players to interact to keep it fun for everyone. You haven't written to anyone in X days - perhaps take a moment to write something?"

No penalties or other effects, merely a nag screen reminding people that the game needs them to make it fun. I would let considerable  time pass before this jumps out - a month would not be too long, IMO.

I think Lords & Dukes should get this a little more frequently, and govt. officials more frequent still, with wording that they've taken a position of importance in the game and it is expected of they will give more back to it than the average player.

Since there is no actual penalty, I don't see any issue with Inalienable Rights.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: "You have not posted in X days"
« Reply #1: April 22, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
I like it. I would tweak it though so that either (a) it is always shown or (b) it is shown a lot quicker than the suggestion.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Jens Namtrah

Re: "You have not posted in X days"
« Reply #2: April 22, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
I think if it's always shown, it loses its effectiveness by either fading into the background or being a nuisance. This isn't a counter, it is something to popup where it is felt there is a "problem" we want to send a gentle message about.