Author Topic: Add interdependency among different classes  (Read 2377 times)

bofeng

• Knight
    • View Profile
Add interdependency among different classes
« Topic Start: May 01, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
The beauty of this game is the social aspect, and this idea is to enhance it by adding interdependency among nobles.

I suggest we add character sub-classes or unique paraphernalia that increase interaction among nobles. For example:

- Weapon Master: spends time to boost weapon production like siege engine and repair weapons for the whole army.
- Food Transporter: can carry a lot of food with them, moves slower, but can feed other nobles' troops upon arrival.
In old times, there was a saying: "Food and fodder should go before [ahead of] troops and horses" (sorry for the poor translation).
- Jester (very unique staff): boost morale for troops
- Army Treasurer: can distribute gold while in foreign territory.
- Rider: can move two regions per turn when without a troop
- Recruiter: can recruit troops faster and cheaper for other nobles
- Trainer

These are just examples. The point is to force nobles to interact with each other and to make them feel they could be very unique and important without being a lord.

Currently, we only need an active noble to gather scout reports and an active Marshal to give orders. And everyone don't need to really interact with others. They recruit soldiers, train them, buy provision, prepare wages, and set ling settings, all by themselves. Maybe we just don't let everyone do all the tasks, but separate the jobs into different roles.

Interaction can add fun and opportunity for more role-playing. More nobles will have to be involved in military planning, and preparation. And that will add fun and help with player retention.

bofeng

• Knight
    • View Profile
I used to believe Battlemaster is the only light, social game worthy of playing. Until I recently discovered Mush, which puts a lot of focus on interdependency and interaction among characters.

The two games are nothing similar. But in that game, every character can have an unique profile, and people have to depend on each other. There are more randomness in the process, which also increases the "re-playability" for a game that usually lasts only several days.

For example, everyone can contribute to do a single project (in our case, like a "take-over"), but the effectiveness decreases if you continue to click the button. You need another player to contribute too, in order to "reset" your effectiveness. Such design forces good communications among players.

Eirikr

Sounds like an interesting concept to me, though I like the paraphernalia angle more. Your examples look to be all subclasses; how do you envision paraphernalia instead?

My thought is that we really don't need to be adding more permanent powers to characters right now, whereas paraphernalia can be temporary, easily changed, and requires some level of upkeep. I think I'd also go a little farther on the interdependency concept and make it so they provide minimal to no benefit for yourself (at least directly). Maybe you can't even "turn it on" without some help from other nobles, but it'll benefit you then as well?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
character sub-classes or unique paraphernalia

What do you mean by unique?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Maybe paraphernalia that can only be hired by certain classes?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
As a general comment, I'm not all that fond of increasing the dependency on various classes. Given that choice of class is an IR, adding incentives to micromanage class composition of an army/realm is not a good idea. We already have enough of a problem with unit choice. Also, we don't want to allow people to min/max the class composition of an army, or create a single "best" class mix.

The idea of adding additional paraphernalia to do additional things is a good one, though. But make sure that you keep your ideas within the scope of the game. A paraphernalia to increase siege engine production in the city, for example, is pretty unrealistic. Things like moving two regions per turn, or transferring gold when outside of cities, are things that just won't happen. Other paraphernalia to reduce the need to return to cities to refit/repair/recruit/etc. is also a very big change that cannot be considered without a rather extensive general discussion about the impact on the game overall. BattleMaster is intentionally structured to limit the range and time-on-target of armies.

Also, adding significant bonuses for various classes, and encouraging a wide variety/mix of classes, will greatly advantage larger realms, at the expanse of smaller realms. Doubly true if the encouraged variety includes a mix of non-combat classes.

Some of the variety and special purpose will be added when Anaris gets a chance to do the War Improvements package. This will allow armies to be special purpose, opening up the possibility of paraphernalia available only to that army.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.