Author Topic: North Vs. South  (Read 38889 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: North Vs. South
« Reply #15: July 04, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
Really? And where are you getting that from? It certainly wasn't from Rosalind! The only surrender terms made to Kindara since the glacier event involved them betraying Cathay and fighting them, so were unacceptable to just about everyone. Plus the banishment of several nobles. And the death of another. I remember not so long ago that when Perdan offered similar 'unacceptable' terms to Caligus on EC there was a public outcry.

Kindara were offered three sets of terms before that and turned them all down because you didn't want to give up any of the territory you had taken from Zonasa. As shocking as it may be, realms that start wars and then lose don't get to keep the territory they've taken from the winners. Kindara made no effort whatsoever to negotiate the terms they didn't like. The response to our terms every time was basically: "You want us to give back the regions we took? Go !@#$ yourselves." Oh, aside from the one time Kindara offered counter terms, along with the caveat of "I'm offering these counter terms but I'm pretty sure no one in Kindara will accept them".

Cathay were offered terms too. They involved the banning of one noble and the "loss" of one region that Cathay didn't even control. These terms, too, were apparently extraordinarily unreasonable. Why would we even bother trying again at this point?

Oh, and terms to Aenilia early in the war. "Give Anrimap to Zonasa and allow the Empire passage rights and we'll give you back Nahad." "No, but if you give us Nahad, Larmebsi, Talex and a ton of gold, we'll step out of the war. We'll think about passage rights, but you can't use them to attack any of your enemies." And we're the unreasonable ones.

That's thin as an excuse to destroy a realm, so I really do hope that's not being given in game as a primary motivation. It was basically one RP of Magnus hanging soldiers, or something, in a religious ritual. I suppose every time the Imperials hunt soldiers of enemy units they give them all nice farms when they capture them  :P

Well, there's also the fact that Cathay tortured the Emperor's brother, and then Kindara executed him. Could you have come up with any other way of pissing off the Empire's leader more? If the Free Realms stopped putting idiots like that in their Council positions, they may get more sympathy.

I was mainly talking about Arcaea. It would be a hard sell for you to convince me that their chain of command isn't deeper than any other realm on FEI due to them have more players inclined towards the military side of the game.

This has to be the worst excuse for losing I've ever seen. "We're losing because the enemy's nobles are better at war than us." No !@#$.

The fact is the Free Realms have screwed up every step of the way.

1. They screwed up by deciding they could take on the Empire in the first place. A poor decision, given there's been no point at which the Free Realms have even vaguely looked like winning.

2. Kindara and Cathay screwed up by not finishing off Zonasa despite having a half dozen chances to, allowing the Empire's militarily weakest member to keep the Free Realm's militarily strongest member busy while the northern Empire realms dominated Aenilia and Ohnar.

3. The Free Realms screwed up by providing no support whatsoever to Ohnar. Ohnar was your best military realm. Kindara had more numbers but Ohnar had far better co-ordination and responsiveness. But you left them out to dry by giving no support at all, leaving them to be overwhelmed by the northern Empire realms.

4. You also provided no support to Aenilia. While not strong, they were your buffer realm between the north and the south and you let the Empire mash them into the ground. I don't believe I ever saw a single Kindaran or Cathayan noble in Nahad, Idapur or Ipsosez while Aenilia was still alive. Kindara was too busy failing to destroy Zonasa and Cathay was too busy doing very little.

5. A general lack of co-ordination between the Free Realms. Before the glacier forced you to live in each other's pockets, you basically fought as four separate realms. I saw, what, one joint Kindaran-Cathayan attack on Zonasa City and one joint (and disastrous) Free Realm attack on Akanos. Not much for more than a year of war and battles. By contrast, the Empire fights as a cohesive force.

6. Lack of any diplomatic ability. Even if we put aside the "Yeah! Let's murder the Emperor's brother and declare a crusade with our main religion against the Empire! There's no way that can end badly!", the Free Realms have made zero diplomatic attempts since Galiard left. Not once has a Free Realm ruler approached the Empire with, "Hey, would you maybe be willing to discuss some terms?" No, the Empire has done all the approaching and been turned down every time.

7. Failure to take advantage of the glacier benefits. When the glacier hit, Kindara had roughly as many nobles as Arcaea and a sizeable, if unorganized, army. But you did nothing with it. You could have hit Talex, or Topenah, or Idapur or Ozrat. Instead you went for...Ipsosez. Which you'd already taken and lost earlier in the war. Kindara didn't even consolidate the territory around it while Arcaea was struggling to deal with the loss of eight regions and population loss in many others after the food rebalance. You took Ipsosez and then sat on your thumbs. It was a waste.

8. Continued, deliberate attempts to piss the Empire's leader off. "Let's engage in human sacrifice and then declare a crusade against the Empire even though we know he hates it when religion gets involved in secular wars." "Let's take this unique item he was carrying and parade it around so he knows we have it." "Let's take these other two unique items of his off an adventurer we arrested, arrange a one-on-one meeting with Velax to give them back and then ambush him." "Let's offer utterly ridiculous terms that involve the Empire giving us territory, even though we're losing." "Let's burn food and commit genocide even though we've sworn not to and we know how strongly Velax abides by the terms of war." "Let's betray a personal friendship developed with Velax over years just because we're greedy for more territory." "Let's refuse a half dozen sets of reasonable surrender terms and then bitch about how unreasonable they were." "Let's torture and murder his brother." Well done. The plan worked: Velax is pissed. I'm sure that will end well for the Free Realms.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:10:30 AM by Velax »