Author Topic: City that is not a Duchy declare independence?  (Read 8025 times)

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
No, that's what infiltrators are for.
Forbes Family

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
lol

I can count on one finger the number of successful assassination attempts I have seen.   

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
That just means your enemies have crappy infils. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It's also because there's more gold spread out nowadays and people have gigantic units that infils just can't get past. Plus academy skills.

Jens Namtrah

lol

I can count on one finger the number of successful assassination attempts I have seen.

Ah, we should still consider the Infil assassination action to be "not broken but just doesn't work as expected"?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Ah, we should still consider the Infil assassination action to be "not broken but just doesn't work as expected"?

It works just fine. It's hard to do successfully for a reason.

If it were easy to assassinate people, we'd be up to our armpits in infiltrators running around stabbing people right and left, and everyone would be living in fear of them. That's only fun for the stabbers, and very, very un-fun for everyone else.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
That just means your enemies have crappy infils. ;)

Your friends too!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

If it were easy to assassinate people, we'd be up to our armpits in infiltrators running around stabbing people right and left, and everyone would be living in fear of them. That's only fun for the stabbers, and very, very un-fun for everyone else.

There was a general consensus some years ago that some change "broke" it, and many simply stopped bothering with the subclass. My own anecdotal evidence seemed to agree. That's all I know.

Un-fun is fine, but as noted above, assassins are supposed to be one of the things adding balance to the game. It's not just about stabbing another character, it's about removing or crippling power figures. So it is important that that is considered, and the mechanics behind it work as intended
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:58:59 AM by Miskel Hemmings »

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
I would argue that infiltrators simply are not powerful enough these days. There seem to be very few of them around since it costs so much time and gold for very little reward.

This is out of topic though but since the discussion ended up there, I wanted to voice that opinion.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Ah, this is the thread. Yeah I am going to disagree with them being not worth it or not working. My priest alone can attest to two successful stabbings unfortunately and the latest my guards didn't even see who did it so they got away with no harm done to them (for now).
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

Infiltrators are already good enough I think.

I think the whole skill system should be reworked at some point to keep people away from academies though.

If we are going to make infiltrators easy to stab people, it should also be possible to execute them without a ban or kill them on the spot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What needs to happen is infiltrators need a lot more low-risk, low-reward actions that also train your skill. This will allow them to actually contribute while they are still relatively unskilled, without living in fear of their lives all the time.

This is definitely something on my TODO list, but it's also definitely after the War Improvements Package.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

What needs to happen is infiltrators need a lot more low-risk, low-reward actions that also train your skill. This will allow them to actually contribute while they are still relatively unskilled, without living in fear of their lives all the time.

This is definitely something on my TODO list, but it's also definitely after the War Improvements Package.

Perfect. Learn by playing the game, not "rolling the dice". With more to do, stabbing becomes a bit less important as a feature, as well

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Ah, this is the thread. Yeah I am going to disagree with them being not worth it or not working. My priest alone can attest to two successful stabbings unfortunately and the latest my guards didn't even see who did it so they got away with no harm done to them (for now).

Well, priests are perhaps the most vulnerable target for them since they walk around without any unit at all. But doing anything to anyone with a unit...

That sounds brilliant. It was a long time ago since I had an infil but it really turned me off the experienced since it was months of just sitting there, spending tons of gold in the academy (training at high levels is not cheap!) and then when she was finally deemed experienced enough, she was caught just moving around or doing supposedly low risk things.

A way to act without needing the infil to be an expert from the start would indeed be a great start!
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I think the whole skill system should be reworked at some point to keep people away from academies though.

I would like to see maybe some of the responsibilities of academies done in GUILDS instead. Assassins guild train assassins in their skills. A merchant guild trains traders in their skills. A Blacksmith guild trains.... etc. So now there becomes a real reason to have guilds other than milking prestige and honor points, and having all the training done under one generic "academy".