Author Topic: Special Forces, underpowered?  (Read 24101 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Special Forces, underpowered?
« Reply #45: May 28, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »
should sf and mi have ammo count? (for each battle)

Well, a battle lasts rarely over 10 turns, and I think any ranged unit has at least 10 arrows.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 28, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
was thinking more like romans who chuck their 1 or 2 spears and then whip their swords out.

this won't involve archers.

if there's ammo count, would it help getting better ai?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: May 29, 2011, 06:59:30 AM »
was thinking more like romans who chuck their 1 or 2 spears and then whip their swords out.

this won't involve archers.

if there's ammo count, would it help getting better ai?

Not really. The devs aren't saying better AI isn't needed, just that nobody has had the time to sort it out yet.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #48: May 29, 2011, 07:08:11 AM »
Not really. The devs aren't saying better AI isn't needed, just that nobody has had the time to sort it out yet.

Actually I think he means that wouldn't an ammo count be a way to improve the AI.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: May 29, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Actually I think he means that wouldn't an ammo count be a way to improve the AI.

Its no use knowing I've got 3 spears left if my men have still decided to charge without throwing any of them :)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #50: May 29, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
Maybe, if there was an ammo count, they would have to use all the ammo before going into melee.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #51: May 29, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
I don't see a reason why archers would have to use up all their ammo before engaging in melee.  If someone is standing in front of an archer attacking him with a sword I doubt he'll continue firing.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 29, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
they don't have to chuck it before moving it.. but they certainly can't sit around waiting to chuck stuff if they haven't got any to chuck.

it's not infrequent for mi to shoot and then move back and forth when the enemy is engaged in melee (with someone else).
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: May 30, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
they don't have to chuck it before moving it.. but they certainly can't sit around waiting to chuck stuff if they haven't got any to chuck.

it's not infrequent for mi to shoot and then move back and forth when the enemy is engaged in melee (with someone else).

This is one of the few things I haven't seen my MI units do.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: May 31, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
We don't really model the different types of possible MI. It's possible they could have a short bow, a quiver of arrows, and a short sword. Or maybe they carry a pair of javelins and a dagger, or an arbalest, etc. Who knows? But I think that modeling down to that level is beyond the scope of the combat system.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 31, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »
here's a weird one... i have some 5 ranged sf... 95% cohesion, 96% training, dug in. def.

1st round, they shoot
2nd round, they move closer (the infantry and undead move towards each other and enter melee)
3rd round, they step backwards
4th round, they hold fire
5th round, they shoot
6th round, they shoot then melee
7th round, melee
8th round, melee

... shouldn't they have stayed dug in, instead moving forward and back? admittedly i screwed up and had the sf in 1 position further back than planned - had planned on being in front of the infantry to get a 2 on 1 at some point.

---
i had intend all mi to have limited ammo. i guess really a matter of doctrine rather than equipment.. shoot no more than a couple of times then just melee.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:59:05 PM by fodder »
firefox