Author Topic: Software Requirements  (Read 2659 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Software Requirements
« Topic Start: May 19, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
I work for a software company doing software implementation, and I have some experience with writing design proposals. Reading through some of the feature requests, I can see that they are not always clear or (I imagine) useful from a development standpoint. Where I work, we are required to include software requirements with all of our proposals. The following definition is from the wiki we use:

"Software requirements are the outcome of analyzing an idea for an enhancement from the users' perspectives. Software requirements specify what the software has to do in order for the users to accomplish their objectives. Software requirements identify what, not how."

We also have a proposal template that we require staff to copy into their own proposals to ensure that the proposal is adequately documented. I would suggest that it might be helpful to both the dev team and people submitting feature requests if a sticky post was created on the feature requests board entitled something helpful like **READ ME FIRST ON PAIN OF DEATH** with an explanation of what the dev team wants and needs out of a good feature request. You might even come up with your own template that can be copied, with the stated injunction that feature requests that don't follow the template won't be considered.

This is just a suggestion, but I think it would be helpful to everyone involved. As it is, it seems that some people skip the discussion board and present their half-formed ideas directly in feature requests. I have a feeling this was not the intent of having a separate child board specifically for feature requests.

egamma

Re: Software Requirements
« Reply #1: May 20, 2011, 04:50:31 AM »
There is a sticky thread (http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,288.0.html) for all of the "formal" requests. Still, your idea has merit--could you look over the formalized requests and generate an example?

Also, please see this wiki section: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Feature_Requests

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 20, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
Frequently Rejected
    Forums
    Forums are an abomination and should be cleansed from the earth

Oh the irony. That the page bearing this should be referenced on the BM forum  ;D ;D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 20, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
It's true. You know it is.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #4: May 20, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
I think that part of the problem is that many players start with presenting an idea to the community/Devs/Tom in order to get feedback, improve the idea and see if it is something even worth considering. It do not think that it is terribly clear when or how to move from the "what do you think of this idea" stage to the "we talked about it and here is the feature I would like to request" stage. I could be wrong and this is only something that I do not grasp but I have a feeling that it might be a common thing. While I have made plenty of suggestions and have presented a few ideas, I have never made a feature request per say.