Author Topic: Tournament of the Titans  (Read 4060 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Tournament of the Titans
« Topic Start: June 26, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
    Title: Tournament of the Titans

Summary: Every so often, a game generated tournament is held.

Details: Every so often (exact timing to be determined by the devs), the game announces the "Tournament of the Titans". The frequency of such tournaments could be fixed or dynamic. I think a good trigger might be "if any game island has not had a tourney for more that one game year (turning of the seasons), then launch a Tournament of the Titans". This is a special tournament that is hosted by no one nation. The tournament takes place on a mysterious island that can only be found during the tournament season. Any character from any island can participate. The prizes are high and all possible events are held. The tourney is auto financed as no nation is hosting it.

Benefits: The soul purpose of this tournament is to bring the players of BM closer together and thus reduce the us versus them mentality that can crop up. It is meant to be a fun event and an opportunity to mingle. Of course, the prizes are something to look forward to too. Also, this automated tourney ensures that the "bring us all together" mechanism of battlemaster occurs even if few to no realms host tournaments of their own.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: I can not really think of any... Perhaps this might cause some realms to sponsor carrier tournament champions but I am not sure if this is really a negative thing.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament of the Titans
« Reply #1: June 27, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »
When I read this, I was wondering... many online games take on a period of "peace" or "pause" between christmas and newyear, because traditionally that is a time that you visit family, friends and get drunk. When I read your - brilliant - proposal, Unwin, I thought this tournament of the Titans may fill that period, or a part of it (probably around Christmas). I don't know if during such a period, for example, there ought to be a mandated peace time or not.

For the rest I like the combination of a high prize reward and the fact that characters from all islands can participate. That is really something that should work towards connecting with people, not necessarily within your own continent but beyond the seas.

Any idea what the prizes should be? Gold? Or toss in a (very) unique item? Besides, is it possible for the devs to code this?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 27, 2014, 01:00:52 AM »
A pony!

Also, I think maybe calling it Tournament of the Titans maybe isn't the beat idea as it has nothing to do with the other Titans but over all, sounds cool! Would be nice to meet other players who you've never played with before.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 27, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure the game is not designed for intercontinental tournaments.  Logic of code aside, you have multiple versions of a name that way( e.g. This Guy, of Colonies and This Guy, of Atmara), which would suggest separate databases.  Next, you have the fact that all islands do not run the same code.  Lastly.... why?  With as much time as volunteer coders spend on bigs, code updates, and new features.  It just seems like kind of a lame project with way less payoff for the work.

As far as game generated tournaments for one island goes, it still just seems like a waste.  Unless I'm mistaken, dukes were given the ability to hold tournaments a while in the past.  Petition your realms to hold a tourny, and if the won't, find a way to empower someone who will.

Eirikr

« Reply #4: June 27, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure the game is not designed for intercontinental tournaments.  Logic of code aside, you have multiple versions of a name that way( e.g. This Guy, of Colonies and This Guy, of Atmara), which would suggest separate databases.  Next, you have the fact that all islands do not run the same code.  Lastly.... why?  With as much time as volunteer coders spend on bigs, code updates, and new features.  It just seems like kind of a lame project with way less payoff for the work.

As far as game generated tournaments for one island goes, it still just seems like a waste.  Unless I'm mistaken, dukes were given the ability to hold tournaments a while in the past.  Petition your realms to hold a tourny, and if the won't, find a way to empower someone who will.

I think you missed the thread where this came from, not that your points are invalid. You'll at least find the "why" in here:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5897.msg131601.html#msg131601

Scroll up and down a few posts to get a bit more context than that. There's at least a dev willingness to take a look at its feasibility.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 27, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
I really have no idea how challenging the coding would be or even if having a world wide tournament is practical (I am sure the dev could make anything happen if it was worth the time and effort). The idea behind it is to get players together that do not normally interact with each other. To this end, I thought it would be more likely for a character of a given character to attend if any of their characters, regardless of location, were eligible to participate.

Say I have a character on Atamara, Dwilight and the Far East when the tournament is announced. The characters on Dwilight and the Far East are in wars and hold important positions so those characters do not even consider departing. The Character on Atamara, however, is doing busy work and jumps at the opportunity. So he jumps on a mysterious dragon boat and arrives on Titan Island, home of the grandest tournament field known located in a pristine Vally surrounded by 13, 300 foot (100 meter) tall warrior statues that gaze down upon the games.

It is also possible to have one such tournament per island and that would also make it more likely that each player will have a character willing to attend. But then you end up having 5 or six small groups of players mingling instead of one big BM virtual conference. Not the worst thing in the world but one certainly sounds cooler than the other to me.

Regarding the name, I just picked it because this is a tournament hosted by the game and the only non-hostile, third party element I could think of were the Titans. They kind of represent the powers behind the game to me. Any fun name would work though. The main idea is for players to be brought together so they can get to know one another, through their characters. This is what the whole tournament mechanic was meant to do as I understand it...

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 27, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »
I don't know anything about how hard this is to code but the idea is really great. If it is possible then it'd be a valuable addon to the game.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #7: June 27, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
one of the more original ideas I've heard in a while  :)

the game is designed with separate databases for each island, but there's no technical reason why an additional db couldn't be set up with a copy of relevant records for participating chars.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 27, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
I don't see how bringing together characters from different isles breaks "us vs. them" mentality. I mean, if I don't even play on say Colonies, why would any of my characters care about their nobles? And if there are hundreds of characters simultaneously, it won't be a get-together but a chaotic mess.
I would rather have more opportunities to get to know characters from other realms of my isle.

Don't mean to be a party pooper, just sharing my perpective.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 27, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
I can't see any major limitations in the code that would prevent this. "Tournament" is a character state, not a destination, so you could theoretically allow for every character on the continent to attend a tournament, regardless of location.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 27, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
Some random thoughts:

• BattleMaster has never had any kind of official "holiday shutdown". I don't think this is likely to change. We're "holiday neutral". :)
  • I don't much care for the idea of cross-island tournaments. I don't see any particular benefit from it that would outweigh the work involved, not to mention the potential for bugs, as opposed to individual island tournaments. It pretty much breaks the boundary of even pretending to be possible. Not to mention that you'd have a lot of overlap of players sending multiple characters.
    Or toss in a (very) unique item? Besides, is it possible for the devs to code this?
    Absolutely. The ability already exists to create and bestow custom-made unique items. Witness the unique Zuma items on Dwilight that were traded for the three artifacts of Sanguis Astroism.
    And if there are hundreds of characters simultaneously, it won't be a get-together but a chaotic mess.
    Oh, yeah, it is. We once had a tournament on Atamara with over 600 characters participating. It was crazy. I don't think I even read 10% of the messages sent. It was pretty wild. But it was also fun.
  • Coming up with some kind of RP theory behind it would be important to make sure that it fits in the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 27, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
  • I don't much care for the idea of cross-island tournaments. I don't see any particular benefit from it that would outweigh the work involved, not to mention the potential for bugs, as opposed to individual island tournaments. It pretty much breaks the boundary of even pretending to be possible. Not to mention that you'd have a lot of overlap of players sending multiple characters.

I can totally understand this. My lack of knowledge in programming (hobbyist only) and most especially the games code base means that I can only throw out ideas i think would be cool and let the devs decide what is worth the effort and what is not. It sounds like a global tournament would be more work than worth. Totally understood.

As far overlap of characters go, I was thinking that I would rather increase the odds of every player having a character willing to go than decrease the odds of a player having multiple characters go. Getting players who do not normally interact  much together on a somewhat regular basis is all I am aiming for and automated tournaments that are island specific might be enough to accomplish this goal. Heck,  there might be a much better way of doing this! altogether!

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 28, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
  • Coming up with some kind of RP theory behind it would be important to make sure that it fits in the game.

Like Sandalak winning the WI? :D

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 28, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
Like Sandalak winning the WI? :D

But we'd never see the tournament then! :p
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.