Author Topic: Individual Region/Duchy Shares  (Read 3870 times)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Individual Region/Duchy Shares
« Topic Start: May 14, 2014, 02:57:22 AM »
Title: Independent Shares

Summary: Shares that apply differently to each region/duchy, allowing dukes and rulers to demand varied shares from their vassals.

Details: The current system applies a single ducal/ruler share percentage to every region/duchy that applies. For example, every lord in the Duchy of Bob owes 8% of their tax income to their duke; every duke in the Kingdom of Joe owes 10% of their tax income to their ruler. This proposal seeks to implement the ability for dukes and rulers to levy shares in accordance with punitive practices, equitable practices, and arbitrary practices. By this, I mean Duke Billy of the Duchy of Bob should be able to demand a 50% share from Lord Jon, provided that Lord Jon insulted Duke Billy. However, Lord Chow (Duke Billy's other vassal) shouldn't be required to pay that same share. He should sit comfortably owing 10% of his tax income for his loyalty and good behavior. King George should be able to demand a larger share from the much wealthier Duchy of Lancaster, and alleviate the tax burden on the plodding Duchy of York. Mad King Aerys should be able to demand any share that pleases his insanity from Lord Tywin, Lord Mace, and Lord Hoster, be those shares 50%, 42%, and 25% respectively. Punitive, Equitable, and Arbitrary.

Benefits: A more realistic approach to shares and taxes that also promotes player interaction and conflict.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: Players acting on OOC enmity by taxing the players they are in disagreement with, despite lacking a valid RP reason.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:00:19 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Region/Duchy Shares
« Reply #1: May 14, 2014, 03:17:17 AM »
I like this idea. Recently when one of the regions in my duchy was being taken over, I wished I had this option since I was in a position to thwart the TO militarily, I could have possibly made it a little harder for the conquerors without punishing my other regions.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 14, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »
Quick thing I would like to add: Not sure if this is intended in the feature request, but I do not support raising the maximum duke's share as it implies.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 14, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »
I like this idea. Recently when one of the regions in my duchy was being taken over, I wished I had this option since I was in a position to thwart the TO militarily, I could have possibly made it a little harder for the conquerors without punishing my other regions.

Not only is that not the point of the proposal, I'm also pretty sure it woudn't have worked. The tax rate that counts in these situations is the rate the Lord imposes on the commoners. The tax that the Duke imposes on the Lords is transparent for the commoners, it won't make them happier if it's lower.

As for the request itself, I like it!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 14, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »
I do as well. For instance if you have a new region that is in need of repairs you could set that region to 0% and let the Lord take all of the income (which usually isn't much) while taxing others higher.
Forbes Family

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 14, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
As I have said in the past, I think this is a good idea.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: May 14, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
I like this idea as well.

You can't really tax people too hard though since they will just join another duchy lol

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 14, 2014, 11:20:49 PM »
Tell that to CE's lords Lapallanch. Anyway, I also support this idea. So, well-liked idea; just need someone with time to devote to it. :)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 15, 2014, 04:48:32 AM »
Quick thing I would like to add: Not sure if this is intended in the feature request, but I do not support raising the maximum duke's share as it implies.

The highest percentage that I used when describing punitive and arbitrary practices was 50 percent, which implied said percentage as the maximum. 50 percent is the current maximum share that can be demanded by a duke or ruler. I apologize if that was not clear.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 15, 2014, 05:43:44 AM »
The highest percentage that I used when describing punitive and arbitrary practices was 50 percent, which implied said percentage as the maximum. 50 percent is the current maximum share that can be demanded by a duke or ruler. I apologize if that was not clear.
My apologies. I had never seen a tax rate higher than 25% demanded by a duke or a ruler, so I assumed that was the max. I looked into and it seems you are correct on that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 27, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
*bump*

I just have to bump this. It would be so ridiculously helpful on the war islands right now. A duchy can have regions that make anywhere from 200 gold to 4500 gold. With such high noble counts and so few regions, it would be great to be able to completely split out positions and estates. This way, only "simple knights" would hold estates. The lord would get income by taxing the knights. The duke would tax the lords of the duchy, and the ruler would tax the dukes. We could get more people to hold estates if it was possible to run different tax rates for different duchies and regions.

For example:
* As duke of Wyvern Heart (Sandalak), I can tax Sandalak city, which has an income of 4200, and Ibyp, with an income of 262.
* If I set a tax rate on Sandalak at 15% I could get about 150 gold or so.
* But I would also tax Ibyp at 15%, and Ibyp's lord only made 27 gold to begin with. I don't need to be taking 3 or 4 gold from him.

The ruler could then tax the Duke of Wyvern Heart and the Duchess of Griffin's Nest separately, taking gold from them based on the individual duchy's capabilities.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 27, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
\o/