Author Topic: Rogue Knights/Downward mobility  (Read 2585 times)

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Rogue Knights/Downward mobility
« Topic Start: May 14, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
I was wondering if there was any negative effects to a knight becoming rogue and maintaining that status for a prolonged period of time other than the obvious financial implications.

If not, perhaps there should be, say every week the knight loses 2 points of honor and 1 point of prestige, until a point when the figures reach X and Y when the night becomes un-recognisable as nobility and joins the adventurer game. 

I think there should be some function for downward mobility and this would be a way of doing this.  You could also end up with the situation that you could develop a whole new set of roles for adventurer infiltrators (assassins) adventurer-traders (smugglers) adventurer-diplomats (spies) adventurer cavaliers (horsemen - could have improved movement) adventurer heroes (could perhaps have a rally function to rally peasants against full rogue attacks or something).  It could really add interest to the adventurer game and make them a more viable class within a realm.

It would also strengthen the rulers power to exile nobles, they become rogue and gradually lose face themselves unless they leave, just as the ruler loses face when they do not.

I just think it is unrealistic to think that a noble is always a noble regardless of their activities or lack thereof. 

Just a thought

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Knights/Downward mobility
« Reply #1: May 14, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
I was wondering if there was any negative effects to a knight becoming rogue and maintaining that status for a prolonged period of time other than the obvious financial implications.

Apart from finance, there is the implication that you can't recruit, ever. You're stuck with the unit you have. Once that is gone, you are vulnerable to bandits.

Another very serious implications is that, if captured, a rogue is automatically at risk of execution, even if he was not previously banned.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 14, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
Moderator note: This isn't really a fully developed feature request, so I've moved it to the Development board.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 14, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
You've kind of broken to core concepts of the game. One, you either are a noble or you're not. A noble cannot lose their nobility. Nobility is due to your birth. You can't lose your birth. This may not be historically accurate, but it is the way we handle it in the game.

Second, we do not want nobles to want to be rogue. Nobles belong in realms. We do not want to add any positive incentive for nobles to desire to be rogue.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 14, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
I don't want to break the game! - I just think everything goes towards nobles becoming more noble, with no mechanism to radically diminish this.  I agree we should look to being part of a realm, I just feel there should be facility for a family to be stripped of rank and have a  wholesale fall from grace.  I also thought it could really spice up the adventurer class and make adventurers more valuable to a realm.

Maybe I''m making things too complex.  Sorry

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 14, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
No need to be sorry. Ideas are good, but not all ideas will work.

One problem with making adventures too important to the noble game is that they are too easy of a target for nobles. Too easy to arrest and execute. If you make them too useful, then they will be hunted down and exterminated. This will make the adventurer game suck, because you wrong be able too leave your realm for fear of being arrested.

This is one of the reasons that the adventurers are not tied so tightly to the nobles. And why we don't have things like the adventurer/infiltrator,or other such combination. Adventurers are really a separate game, played on the same board as nobles.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 15, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
I don't want to break the game! - I just think everything goes towards nobles becoming more noble, with no mechanism to radically diminish this.  I agree we should look to being part of a realm, I just feel there should be facility for a family to be stripped of rank and have a  wholesale fall from grace.

I'll probably sink my infiltrator to zero honor/prestige eventually (immigration happy mixed with failed attempts at nefarious activity). That is the only way I can think of to really make a noble...less noble. Hell, if you realm hop enough...you might as well be rogue.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)