Author Topic: War Island Realm Flavours  (Read 27501 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
War Island Realm Flavours
« Topic Start: May 17, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
I have some initial ideas for how to set up the flavours for the three realms on the War Islands, but since I've heard rumours of several groups of players already planning to start in this realm or that, I thought it would be good to see what particular ideas you all had for how each War Island realm should be themed.

Please note: I'm not looking for general comments from the peanut gallery. If you're not actively planning to start in the realm you're giving suggestions for, I'm afraid they're not what I'm looking for.

So, without further ado, the (rough, sketched-in) themes I had in mind:

Silver Kingdom of Ikalak

Government type: Monarchy

Realm Theme: Monarchial realm valuing honour over all

Ruler: Silver King/Queen, elect once
Judge: High Justice, elect once
General: Argent Commander, appoint
Banker: Silverkeeper, appoint

As you can see, there's a silver theme going here ;D

In general, I had in mind a somewhat Camelot-esque feel here; chivalry and honour would be highly valued, and underhanded tactics of all sorts would be frowned upon.

Wolf Republic of Taselak

Government type: Republic

Realm Theme: Meritocracy where strength rules

Ruler: Wolf Lord/Lady, elect monthly
Judge: Warden of Law, elect monthly
General: Alpha Wolf, elect once
Banker: Foodward, appoint

For Taselak, I pictured something much more focused on strength, but with the slightly incongruous element of it being a Republic. The wolf theme would lend itself well to things like having a (player-enforced, not game-mechanic) rule allowing anyone to duel the Ruler (or General) for the position.

Holy Desert Empire of Sandalak

Government type: Theocracy

Realm Theme: Theocracy dedicated to the Desert Lion and the Snow Eagle, Whose rule must be spread across the land

Ruler: Eagle's Claw, elect once
Judge: Eagle's Eye, elect once
General: Lion's Claw, elect monthly
Banker: Prelate of Accounts, elect monthly

With its desert and tundra, a dualistic theocracy seemed like an interesting direction to go with Sandalak.

Bear in mind that all of these are just the quick ideas I came up with off the top of my head while trying to get the realm data set up in the database, so none of it has a lot of thought, planning, or RP behind it.

So, who's got plans to start a group in one of these realms already?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: War Island Realm Flavours
« Reply #1: May 17, 2014, 04:06:17 AM »
I'm confused as to what you're trying to do with the third realm.

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 17, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »
Totally going Sandalak

Death to the Non Believers, Death to the Pagans,

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: May 17, 2014, 04:37:02 AM »
Yeah. Sandalak is somewhat confusing :o

How about something like this?

Ruler: Eagle's Claw, elect once / Great Khan or Shah ;) / or maybe Lord Sandalak?

As for which realm to join, I will be joining Sandalak. >:D

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 17, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
I know it's not related to the war islands before this, but it will be confusing to use the old banner of Ikalak for Taselak...
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 17, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
Taselak appeals to my personal taste even though the Windblacks actually worship Eagles. Strength in unity and crush the enemies together, now that is what many nobles prefer.

I'll work on a realm anthem of sorts but nothing official as of now, I'll try my best! See you there mate!
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

flames

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 17, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
Oh, and I thought maybe Taselak could have more evil dark fantasy realm flavour. Like, they despise all who they consider to be weak, and they consider all other world to be weak and silly and that it needs to be ruled by chosen ones, taselakians...

warwolf13

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 17, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »
Well, the group I have is headed to Ikalak. My idea is different, though yours isn't bad.

Kingdom of Ikalak

Realm type: Tyranny

Ruler: Imperator Maleficis/Imperatra Malefica, elect once
General: Regium Domitor/Regia Domitra, appoint
Judge: Gloriosa Carnificis/Gloriosa Carnifica, appoint
Banker: Magister Decusis/Magistra Decusa, apppoint

As you can see, it is a Latin and dark feel, while not exactly evil.

In general, I had a slightly Gothic feel, dark but not evil. They value strength in arms over anything else, while also valuing the arts and intelligence.

As for the banner, something not so bright, perhaps Silver on Black. (Don't know how to do that, so....)
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8: May 17, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »
Anaris, isn't that Taselak banner actually the old Ikalak banner?  Why wasn't the old Taselak banner used?
No man is an island, unto himself.

flames

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 17, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
Also, since you are adding animals theme, maybe let every realm to have an animal as a symbol, but just one. This way it would be more orderly, I think. And we can think on less common animals-symbols (lions and wolves are used kinda everywhere). For Ikalak something representing chivalry - maybe an eagle, or a war horse? For Tasalak something representing strength and power (I personally would prefer something dark) - wolf, or, maybe, black panther? For Sandalak it might be something related with wisdom - a big snake (like python) or raven.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 17, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
Anaris, isn't that Taselak banner actually the old Ikalak banner?  Why wasn't the old Taselak banner used?

+1
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #11: May 17, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
I should mention I'm intending on starting in Taselak, and I was kinda hoping that it would be something that isn't a republic.  That being said I do like the idea of having a national tradition of strength.  Sort of a less centralized chiefdom type Monarchy, since Taselak does inhabit the colder, southern end of the island.  In addition I like that the General is the leader of the realm.  An interesting take on the council positions that really fits the war island feel, and especially with the theme of the strongest survive.  I think the Wolf motif is a bit overdone in other realms, but it makes sense and works well in this context, so I'm pretty much fine with it.

Maybe it's just me but I find republics horribly boring and slow.  Besides, what is there to vote on besides positions?  They make more sense on bigger islands like Atamara, Beluaterra, etc. where realm policy is more complicated, but on War Islands, everyone is just fighting everyone, and the struggle is survival, so I feel republics are a lot less dynamic and will be not as fun and lead to perhaps even a disadvantage for Taselak.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.
No man is an island, unto himself.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 17, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »
Yes, Taselak does need a strong central command who can be at par in power with the General. A republic doesn't exactly fit in imho.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #13: May 17, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
I am for Ikalak. 

Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 17, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
I quite sure from what I have heard that many (returning) players will want to have the old structure as well.

That would mean Ikalak as Republic, Taselak as Monarchy and Sandalak as Tyranny.
That counts for the banners as well, I guess.

If you give them now some new additonal feathers, colours or other fancy things, I am sure they would not mind, but bringing something back with such radical structural change....ummm I don't know.

In the end, it is a war island, and RP is secondary here.