Author Topic: Further War Island Information  (Read 18327 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Further War Island Information
« Topic Start: May 17, 2014, 02:21:37 AM »
So as those of you who've been paying attention know, it's less than a week now until the scheduled opening of the new War Island. I thought it would be a good time to make public some more information about it.

• There will be three realms on the War Island—Taselak, Sandalak, and Ikalak. Adding a fourth realm (Toren) causes too much disruption to the balance of the island, at least for the time being.
  • All players will be given a free character slot specifically for use on the War Island. This slot will be non-transferable, and characters for the War Island will remain there for their entire lifetime—no immigration, no emigration, no deportation. Relatedly, it will not be possible to use family gold or contribute to family gold with characters on the War Island.
  • All characters on the War Island will be mortal. This means that pretty much anything that can wound you will also have a chance to kill you, and you can die from wounds getting worse.
  • There will be no adventurers on the War Island. There will also be no monster or undead spawns. Pure PvP.
  • While it will be possible to found a religion on the War Island, priests will not have any options for influencing peasant behaviour. They will essentially function like guilds.
  • Since there is no diplomacy on the War Island, there will be no Diplomats or Ambassadors.
  • There will be several changes to the amount of time or effort needed to complete various tasks—such as population recovery or running a takeover—and other tweaks designed to make war on the War Island more fast-paced, with less waiting around, and (hopefully) very little region maintenance.

I'm consulting with Tom on just how previous island startups have been run, but for now, I'm planning to handle it like this, based on my memory of the startup of the South-East Island and Dwilight:

• On the 22nd (probably morning US Eastern time), signups will be opened up, with a limit on the number of characters allowed on the island. The limit will be raised gradually to allow a few (dozen) people at a time to create characters there. No turns will be running at this time.
  • After a day or two (or once the island has reached what we consider its maximum safe population, which is probably a few hundred characters), referenda will be created in all three realms to elect the first Rulers. Since all characters will be new, exceptions to the usual prestige requirements will, of course, be granted.
  • Those referenda will run for 3 days. Once each realm has a Ruler, they can start appointing a Duke each, who can appoint Lords to the starting regions of each realm.
  • Turns will begin to run, and travel will become possible, but for another few days, no one will be allowed to leave their realm. This will give everyone some time to build the initial recruitment centers their realms will require.
  • Once that period is over, the floodgates will be opened, and everything will be set to "normal" for the War Island. Let the games begin!

Questions are welcome.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
Re: Further War Island Information
« Reply #1: May 17, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »
Would sea travel be available on the War Islands?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 17, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
Would sea travel be available on the War Islands?

No. There will be no sea zones.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Thorryworry

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 17, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
Will everyone be able to choose the City they start in or will it be randomly appointed on signup? It might be that you'll have clans forming before it even opens.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 17, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
Will everyone be able to choose the City they start in or will it be randomly appointed on signup? It might be that you'll have clans forming before it even opens.

Everyone will be able to choose where to start.

I have no problem with groups starting out together in a realm. Any "clan" that tries to actually exclude people—which is what's against the rules in BattleMaster—will quickly find themselves short on nobles and getting their asses kicked by two other realms with plenty of incentive to accept those they won't.
Timothy Collett

CyberGenesis

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 18, 2014, 01:15:34 AM »
1) will you be able to transfer realms once started
2) will there be increased gold income and RC recruitment?
3) is there a time limit and/or end game point IE all of 1 realm's regions are captured

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 18, 2014, 01:19:36 AM »
1) will you be able to transfer realms once started

Absolutely.

2) will there be increased gold income and RC recruitment?

Probably, but the exact degree will depend on how things go.

3) is there a time limit and/or end game point IE all of 1 realm's regions are captured

The endgame is two realms being utterly wiped out (no regions).
Timothy Collett

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 18, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
I suppose there will be no traders in the WI, but will be infiltrators?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 18, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Traders would be pointless. You can't trade with a realm with which you are at war.  And all relations will be war.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 21, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »
Another question, two questions actually:

1. Would normal H/P restrictions apply on the WI?

2. Would changing class/sub class be possible?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 21, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
Another question, two questions actually:

1. Would normal H/P restrictions apply on the WI?

The restrictions for gaining positions will be removed for the initial phase, as it would be impossible for anyone to meet them. Other than that, yes, they will be the same as on any other continent.

2. Would changing class/sub class be possible?

Aside from the restrictions already mentioned, yes, of course.
Timothy Collett

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 21, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
Thank you for the clarification!

stuartalexmc

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 22, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
I can't wait for this... Keep on refreshing the Account  page  :P

Medevandalist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 22, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
I've just created a character in the War Islands and I've encountered this problem:

"You have more active nobles than your limit. You will need to pause a noble or donate before you can proceed."

I can no longer play on any of my characters,

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 22, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
Same here, created Fen'Harel Windblack on Taselak and now I can't log in to any of my characters

You have more active nobles than your limit.You will need to pause a noble or donate before you can proceed.