Author Topic: Ideas for Adventurers  (Read 2430 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ideas for Adventurers
« Topic Start: May 17, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
Sea travel - cheaper but less certain.
As a knight I pay like 35 gp to procure a sea transport for my entire company with carts and siege engines. As a lone adventurer I pay like 15 gp to board a ship. This doesn't sound right.
I suggest lowering the price significantly. Several gp should be enough.
But a certain twist can be added - while nobles can just rent a ship and sail whenever they want, commoners can on only afford to hop on a ship already bound for some port. So every coastal province could have 0-3 ships (more ships in more developed regions) leaving to random ports, destinations changing every day.

More consistent adventuring patterns.
If there was a large battle with lots of casualties or starvation, a region gets a significant increase in undead activity and higher bounties.
Provinces where infrastructure is undeveloped or have severely deteriorated might experience an influx of monsters.
This way we'll just have places where adventurers can expect to find more adventure, thus congregating there and joining forces.

More adventurer/noble interaction in intrigue. More adventurer/adventurer interaction in PvP
I don't buy noble assassins. Leave spying and assassination to adventurers!
Adventurers need to be able to gather more information (especially military info) from the regions they're in.
Give adventurers increased skills in stealth. Make it very hard for nobles to spot and catch an adventurer. Make it fairly easy for another adventurer to track a colleague.
So that to weed infiltrators from their lands, nobles would have to employ other adventurers.

Discuss and throw in your own ideas.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Adventurers
« Reply #1: May 17, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Sea travel - cheaper but less certain.
As a knight I pay like 35 gp to procure a sea transport for my entire company with carts and siege engines. As a lone adventurer I pay like 15 gp to board a ship. This doesn't sound right.
I suggest lowering the price significantly. Several gp should be enough.
But a certain twist can be added - while nobles can just rent a ship and sail whenever they want, commoners can on only afford to hop on a ship already bound for some port. So every coastal province could have 0-3 ships (more ships in more developed regions) leaving to random ports, destinations changing every day.

Interesting idea. Might work.

More consistent adventuring patterns.
If there was a large battle with lots of casualties or starvation, a region gets a significant increase in undead activity

This already happens.

and higher bounties.

This is dependent entirely on the Lord. Bounties don't come out of nowhere; they have to be explicitly set.

Provinces where infrastructure is undeveloped or have severely deteriorated might experience an influx of monsters.
This way we'll just have places where adventurers can expect to find more adventure, thus congregating there and joining forces.

Interesting idea. Might be worth looking into.

More adventurer/noble interaction in intrigue. More adventurer/adventurer interaction in PvP
I don't buy noble assassins. Leave spying and assassination to adventurers!
Adventurers need to be able to gather more information (especially military info) from the regions they're in.
Give adventurers increased skills in stealth. Make it very hard for nobles to spot and catch an adventurer. Make it fairly easy for another adventurer to track a colleague.
So that to weed infiltrators from their lands, nobles would have to employ other adventurers.

Sorry, this is the kind of thing that's not going to happen.

Adventurers are not going to become just another tool for nobles to use to "win." The adventurer game is deliberately mostly separate from the noble game.

I do have some (vague, so far) ideas for improving the advy game, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 18, 2014, 03:32:35 AM »
I like the sea travel idea.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 19, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
Why not board the ship as a crew member?  As in you would get a few silver for the voyage.  No decision on where the ship is going or when it leaves.  And only available if a noble is embarking at the time. The adventurer would then get an option while traveling on which ship they want to join, I am not sure what information would be given, perhaps the coast embarking from, the noble embarking and the unit size and type.  The amount of silver earned would be based on the unit type and size.  Again, this should not be a very large amount of silver (notice 'silver' not gold) per day.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 19, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
That's actually an interesting option, too. :p Wind up somewhere unpredictable, getting paid 1 silver a day for your work on board the ship.

Oooh... Maybe we should add the possibility for advies in a city to get press-ganged into serving on a ship whenever a noble with a large military unit takes passage on a ship. he he he....
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

warwolf13

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 22, 2014, 06:59:51 AM »
Heh. I like that, Indirik. It's amusing. I'd love to see my advie get told to "Get on that ship. Now." Have the ability to "Run away and hide", fight the guards, or join of your own accord. Of course, fighting the guards, not a good idea, unless VERY good at swordplay, and best gear, and, even then, in cities, takes ALL of your hours. And you still might lose.

Hiding is the second easiest, but is reliant on your Infiltration skill, as it IS stealth.

And joining is guaranteed to keep you healthy, if you get my meaning.
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: May 22, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »

I thought (hoped) this already happens in rogue lands? Would make "sense" there'd be more monsters in an area with no formal govt. In any case, I like this idea as well.