Author Topic: Welcome to the South Island!  (Read 34347 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the South Island!
« Reply #45: July 08, 2014, 07:51:25 PM »
Join the Winner side, the side where Jaune is!

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 08, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
Considering you repeatedly broke the laws regarding appointing people who already had a position, it's not a surprise that you got banned. So congrats on bringing down Ikalak using internal conflicts. That kind of thing is completely opposed to the spirit of this island, which is about working together as a realm in constant warfare with other realms without politics. *slowclap*

I think it's worth adding that this is the type of behaviour that's likely to get you frozen out of any future War Island incarnations. If you willfully sabotage a realm to its death just so that you can go on a power trip, you might get people running to get behind you on Dwilight, or even some other regular islands, but the War Island is a small place, and people aren't likely to just accept that sort of thing.

However, it will probably take 2 or 3 runs through before we shake out all the people who think that the War Island is the perfect place for them to seize power and rule with an iron fist, and damn all the people who would prefer that the realm be run more based on what's likely to win the war.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #47: July 08, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
I think it's worth adding that this is the type of behaviour that's likely to get you frozen out of any future War Island incarnations. If you willfully sabotage a realm to its death just so that you can go on a power trip, you might get people running to get behind you on Dwilight, or even some other regular islands, but the War Island is a small place, and people aren't likely to just accept that sort of thing.

However, it will probably take 2 or 3 runs through before we shake out all the people who think that the War Island is the perfect place for them to seize power and rule with an iron fist, and damn all the people who would prefer that the realm be run more based on what's likely to win the war.

Can do it faster than that. IG Bans based on family have always been allowed - these people are making a name for themselves that won't be forgotten by many any time soon.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 08, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
spirit of this island, which is about working together as a realm in constant warfare with other realms without politics. *slowclap*

If politics is to be completely removed from the equation, then shouldn't we simply consider to remove the ability to ban characters and switch allegiance?

If not, then what is the purpose of these options?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 08, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »
If politics is to be completely removed from the equation, then shouldn't we simply consider to remove the ability to ban characters and switch allegiance?

If not, then what is the purpose of these options?

Switch allegiance I can see an argument for, but ban? Really? You think its sole purpose is "political"?

So you've never heard of anyone being banned for disobeying orders, or for attempting rebellion, or any other form of resistance against the authority of the realm leaders?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 08, 2014, 11:25:26 PM »
Switch allegiance I can see an argument for, but ban? Really? You think its sole purpose is "political"?

So you've never heard of anyone being banned for disobeying orders, or for attempting rebellion, or any other form of resistance against the authority of the realm leaders?

I'm not saying that we should get rid any realm authority, but realistically where are characters going to go when banned if  we OOC-frown upon switching allegiance? Just allow executions and be done with it. Make it that when you create a character on the War Islands you pick a realm and you either help that realm win or you stop playing that character, full stop.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #51: July 08, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »
Which brings us back to - you get one char per reset; when he dies, you sit on the sidelines until the next time to play.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 08, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »
Which brings us back to - you get one char per reset; when he dies, you sit on the sidelines until the next time to play.

What was the average time between resets on the old War Islands?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 09, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »
There was no average time. As far as I know it was only once ever fully reset after Sandalak defeated the others. The second time the island was sunk as Taselak was winning after defeating Sandalak and almost defeating Ikalak.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 09, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »
There was no average time. As far as I know it was only once ever fully reset after Sandalak defeated the others. The second time the island was sunk as Taselak was winning after defeating Sandalak and almost defeating Ikalak.

Well, how long did that take? I wasn't there, I have no sense of scale. It seems to be going pretty fast right now, but I don't know if that will resolve quickly or just reach a new equilibrium.

I could agree with Miskel's ideas if the islands reset every three months or so, but if they go on for years and years between resets then it does not sound like such a good idea.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #55: July 09, 2014, 12:32:03 AM »
Well, how long did that take? I wasn't there, I have no sense of scale. It seems to be going pretty fast right now, but I don't know if that will resolve quickly or just reach a new equilibrium.

I could agree with Miskel's ideas if the islands reset every three months or so, but if they go on for years and years between resets then it does not sound like such a good idea.

Thought about that as well. However, my idea might actually help speed up play, if it caps player count. Not really sure how it would affect it - there haven't been many deaths so far.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 09, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
Thought about that as well. However, my idea might actually help speed up play, if it caps player count. Not really sure how it would affect it - there haven't been many deaths so far.

In an ideal world, there would be a regular influx of new players. This may mean that even though many died there are still enough new players to make the island run, and those who died a long time ago are just barred from playing there.

Now, granted, we are not in an ideal world....

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 09, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »

It was more like people who tryhard to get the position because they can then do nothing.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #58: July 09, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »
In an ideal world, there would be a regular influx of new players. This may mean that even though many died there are still enough new players to make the island run, and those who died a long time ago are just barred from playing there.

Now, granted, we are not in an ideal world....

I don't think it would ever reach the point where the island wouldn't run. mortality isn't that high, for one thing, and once one side was weakened sufficiently, they'd lose the war naturally.

I'd just prefer to see a place where you have to actually deal with the real loss of certain chars. As it stands now, if I die I just come back as me again with less honor and so a smaller unit for a few weeks.

Hell, we even play our Ruler is Incarnate, so he dies, he comes back - we just make him ruler again, as a natural part of the RP. These aren't long-term players where there's an actual ripple of shock when someone dies

makes mortality a bit pointless, IMHO.

Zakilevo

« Reply #59: July 09, 2014, 02:09:15 AM »
Maybe for the next version, increase death rate?

It would be nice if something changed in a big way for each version.