Author Topic: Welcome to the South Island!  (Read 34315 times)

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the South Island!
« Reply #75: July 09, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Our (Sandalak's) first general rage quit as well a few days after he was appointed (now a relative of his is the new King of Ikalak). I don't even remember exactly why any more. But then we got another one who has been quite calm (maybe a little too quiet from what I have heard) and we have Marshals and VMs and others who can pick up any slack. Holding on to power for the sake of it is a problem in many place in BM. So blaming one person won't get anyone anywhere. It's a team game. Luckily in Sandalak we overcame all our infighting and directed our energies at the other realms instead. If there are too many big egos in Ikalak that won't be the bigger man for the good of the team then as the old BM edict goes 'they deserve to die.' There's nothing to stop other nobles leaving if they don't like it there.

As an aside, Kurlock is called 'the immortal' because of that death duel he survived when the new character protection was in effect. He's called 'the Wyvern Incarnate' because that's what all our leaders will be called, chosen by the Wyvern to represent him on the mortal plane. Neither of those things means that if he dies the player will be able to make a new character and get the position back immediately.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #76: July 09, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
Yes, we know about your General. We also can't figure out why you haven't booted him from office or else simply picked someone to start listening to instead

--------

"The ruler of Sandalak never died so please don't make accusations of him demanding to be made ruler right after his character dies"

you misread - there was no accusation, it was a point about uselessness of mortality.

if he DID come back, and asked to be ruler, most likely we would be happy to give him the spot. it was only a future fiction of mine.

Zakilevo

« Reply #77: July 09, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
Well if Kurlock dies, I won't be rejoining Sandalak. Why would I rejoin the realm I have already experienced?

Also, if Kurlock dies, that would be the end of his story. I have already enjoyed playing Kurlock and his death would complete him.

No need to ruin that experience by trying to replicate it by making another noble in Sandalak. It wouldn't be the same.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #78: July 09, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »
Well if Kurlock dies, I won't be rejoining Sandalak. Why would I rejoin the realm I have already experienced?

Also, if Kurlock dies, that would be the end of his story. I have already enjoyed playing Kurlock and his death would complete him.

No need to ruin that experience by trying to replicate it by making another noble in Sandalak. It wouldn't be the same.

Fair enough. The real point is - you COULD. And a great many other players WOULD.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #79: July 09, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
Xander was the worst Duke I have ever witnessed. Not only was his decision questionable at least his attitude was also sucky. When people like the Judge and the Queen started to question him he went out of his way and started accusing them for an OOC clan.

This is what BM has degraded into and its really showing on the War Islands. If I don't get it my way I'll start whining OOC.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:17:50 PM by Skiarxon »

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #80: July 09, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
Xander was the worst Duke I have ever witnessed. Not only was his decision questionable at least his attitude was also sucky. When people like the Judge and the Queen started to question him he want out of his way and started accusing them for an OOC clan.

This is what BM has degraded into and its really showing on the War Islands. If I don't get it my way I'll start whining OOC.
You too? We had that happen in Taselak too - I don't like what happened so there must be OOC clanning and power gaming.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #81: July 09, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
I had heard that War Islands were awesome back in the day. Now (for me at least) they suck. The only good thing is that I compiled a list of people I don't want to play with again.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #82: July 09, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
I had heard that War Islands were awesome back in the day. Now (for me at least) they suck. The only good thing is that I compiled a list of people I don't want to play with again.
That's a real terrible shame. Of course we always look back with some nostalgia, but I don't doubt it has been a bad experience for you. I've met people I really am going to be careful around in the future and other players I'm happy to have met.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: July 09, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
The main problem with the new incarnation of the War Island is that there was too much hype for it—even before I announced that it would be happening.

Everyone had this shining golden ideal of the War Island as the pinnacle of BattleMaster, and nothing could possibly have lived up to that. Furthermore, I think there must have been at least 12 groups per realm that were absolutely convinced that they would get to be in charge and they would get to define, all by themselves, what it meant to be xxx-lakian. When those groups clashed, they caused all the infighting that weakened Sandalak and crippled Ikalak.

Taselak was, in some sense, lucky that what they got was a load of multis, because when they were caught, they could just be locked, and the rest of us move on with our lives. Being selfish and foolish isn't reason enough to lock people, so the other two realms had to figure it all out for themselves.

From everything I've heard here, it strikes me that Dustole just wasn't expecting the War Island mindset. He was too much tied up in the way Dwilight works, with every noble being out for himself. And from everything I've seen of him, his nobles are fantastic on Dwilight, the FEI, and other islands. I just think he was expecting more of the same on the War Island, and wasn't prepared for what he actually found.

The War Islands aren't a place for intrigue, or arrogant Dukes who do their own thing and appoint their friends. They're a place for everyone to work together, usually under the direction of the General or Ruler. (Ideally those two will agree, so it'll be the direction of both.) The War Islands aren't a place for schemers who want to rise to power within their own realm at whatever cost; they're a place for ambitious, charismatic young strategists who can prove themselves in battle, then gain the support of the people and win high office that way. People who will lead, not just rule. People who will unite, not divide and conquer (within their own realm).

But finally...seriously, Dustole? A tournament grounds? What the hell was the point of that?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:40:00 PM by Anaris »
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #84: July 09, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
The main problem with the new incarnation of the War Island is that there was too much hype for it—even before I announced that it would be happening.

Everyone had this shining golden ideal of the War Island as the pinnacle of BattleMaster, and nothing could possibly have lived up to that. Furthermore, I think there must have been at least 12 groups per realm that were absolutely convinced that they would get to be in charge and they would get to define, all by themselves, what it meant to be xxx-lakian. When those groups clashed, they caused all the infighting that weakened Sandalak and crippled Ikalak.

Taselak was, in some sense, lucky that what they got was a load of multis, because when they were caught, they could just be locked, and the rest of us move on with our lives. Being selfish and foolish isn't reason enough to lock people, so the other two realms had to figure it all out for themselves.

From everything I've heard here, it strikes me that Dustole just wasn't expecting the War Island mindset. He was too much tied up in the way Dwilight works, with every noble being out for himself. And from everything I've seen of him, his nobles are fantastic on Dwilight, the FEI, and other islands. I just think he was expecting more of the same on the War Island, and wasn't prepared for what he actually found.

The War Islands aren't a place for intrigue, or arrogant Dukes who do their own thing and appoint their friends. They're a place for everyone to work together, usually under the direction of the General or Ruler. (Ideally those two will agree, so it'll be the direction of both.) The War Islands aren't a place for schemers who want to rise to power within their own realm at whatever cost; they're a place for ambitious, charismatic young strategists who can prove themselves in battle, then gain the support of the people and win high office that way. People who will lead, not just rule. People who will unite, not divide and conquer (within their own realm).

This. No one was really sure what kind of mindset three realms constantly at war would mean. I think it's fantastic personally, but it certainly has taken getting used to.

I was a bit scared as General of Taselak to throw more people into the same communication channel, discuss plans more widely, not because I didn't think anyone would be up for it but because the flood of messages is crazy enough as it is. And I don't mind the people looking to help the realm win the war, it's only more negative, aggressive, undermining things which make it hard to read the flood. People freak out too because everyone has a desire to win the war and don't know everything which is being said, so having things more in the open is a good idea.

Plus with 80+ people, all hardened players with their own ideas of what to do, you can't run something yourself. You can't force people to follow you. Even if you think a few people seem to be on your side, you need to think of the 70 other players. You aren't going to rule forever, you aren't going to found your own realm or create any kind of entity that will outlast you aside from how well you fought in the war. How well you played with everyone else. And it is a very different beast from either old BM or new BM because we don't play like we did in old BM regardless of whatever anyone might think.

But finally...seriously, Dustole? A tournament grounds? What the hell was the point of that?

There's also an academy.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: July 09, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
I think it's getting used to the team spirit of the war island, things are a lot simpler and clearer as to our realm objectives and goals than they are on the other islands.

That being said, I also kind of think that this experience (for me at least) definitely is the sort of thing that helps destroy the whole ''us vs them'' mentality talked about in a different thread. I've had a lot of fun playing with the people I have, even started a new char on dwilight to play with some of them there too. Learned a ton about general game mechanics as well, little stuff that isn't readily apparent or easy to find on the wiki. Generally speaking the War Island has been an amazing experience for me. Enough Kudos cannot be given to Tom and the rest of the dev team for everything they've put into this.

As for hype, I didn't hear any of it, nor did I have experience with the previous incarnations. Although from the talk with the Duke of Ikalak I find it amusing that the general power style suggested is promoting people based on their skill and ability, almost like one should be given power based on their merits

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: July 09, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
When those groups clashed, they caused all the infighting that weakened Sandalak and crippled Ikalak.
Yeah, Sandalak was on the verge of falling apart. We had quite a few people ragequit Sandalak and head somewhere else.

I did have a few chuckles at all the people leaving Sandalak for some other ealm because they didn't want all the OOC arguing, while at the same time we had people coming to Sandalak because of all the OOC arguing in Ikalak/Taselak.

Overall, I think that most of it was just a lot of personality clashes, and people having to find realms that offered the play style they wanted.

That was a place for Sandalak to party when they sacked the city. ;)

There's also an academy.
That could be useful. There are a LOT of people that want to become infiltrators, and need a place to train. I think they're all eager to try out the universal mortality thing. But it was probably a bit too early for it.

I do have to say that I'm a bit surprised with how aggressively Ikalak came out of the gate. Darn near an old-school zerg rush. It's surprising how quickly they imploded.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: July 09, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I didn't appoint my "friends"  I specifically made sure to spread the lordships around top the various factions and not show complete favoritism.  I even buried the hatchet with my historical enemies and appointed them as lord so we could work together.  I broke my "never trust a Himoura" rule and it bit me in the ass.

The tourney grounds were built right away before we ever got taxes.  I made a public announcement and asked for donations to build it.  Winner of the tournament was going to be lord of Ikalak city. 

More people favored the idea than opposed it.  They sent donations to pay for it and the realm as a whole had some say in whether or not we built a tourney grounds.

There was no intrigue or rebellion activities on my part.  All my gold was sent to the ruler so they could point the realm in the direction they wanted.  I stayed out if the capitol as much as possible so they would have no reason to think I was rebelling.  I even encouraged the user of secret police to verify my sincerity and generosity.  I did speak out publicly, but all actions I took were for the betterment of Ikalak.  Micro managing and drones have no place on Abby island.  What fun is a game where you are told almost every action you must take?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: July 09, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
As duke I was never included in any discussions even before I was vocal about my dislikes.  I didn't even know about the Ik/Tas cease fire for a long time.  That is why we zerg rushed Sandalak. 

I was even told not to build a house of healing.  Micro management and it was done poorly.

I could have sunk Ikalak quite easily by sabotaging the city, but didn't.  I had loud of chances while I was in Ikalak to do the realm serious harm and never once took those opportunities until I WA banned.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: July 09, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
I could have sunk Ikalak quite easily by sabotaging the city, but didn't.  I had loud of chances while I was in Ikalak to do the realm serious harm and never once took those opportunities until I WA banned.

Holding off on pressing the "nuke" button is not commendable or even worth noting in any way. If that is your only redeeming quality, you were an awful duke. It's like being proud that you don't kick your dog.