Author Topic: Sandalak! The Theocracy of, er, we haven't decided yet  (Read 29523 times)

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
*rubs temples*

I believe Rob asked us not to bring it to the forums, so can we not please?

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
People love bringing IC and reasonably private matters to the forum.

From all realms it seems.

/facepalms

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
On the one hand, the realm will probably run smoother without all the deleted characters. On the other hand, it's sad to see so much childish rage quitting.

I was the first person to quit, and I kind of take issue with the "childish rage". There was no rage, and it certainly wasn't childish, it just wasn't any fun to watch non-stop infighting over something so overwhelmingly dumb.

I joined a Theocracy to play a religious zealot, other people joined to bring an off-continent religion with them and shoehorn it into the RP. Then if anyone disagreed there was much affrontery and tsk tsking because we were stepping on the Sartaninan characters choice of RP. It was all so stupid. It was like arguing with religious conservatives in the US; circular, pointless, frustrating.

Why stick around a game if it's not fun?

I could have argued it out IC, but again, it was a frustrating and dull conversation, so why bother? That's not why I log on.

Alex

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I don't like the Sartanism thing either but the other side overreacted themselves. People who are blaming all these arguments just on the Sartans are blinded by their own sense of righteous indignation. They offered to keep themselves to themselves, it was the anti-Sartans that couldn't accept the compromise and kept banging on about it and of course the Sartans had to react to that.

So everyone has gone too far and everyone has been mean. So can we all just move on and forget about it please.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I haven't heard of anybody quitting the other realms, so hopefully it will be good.
I hear there was some rough times in Ikalak, too. At least one of the people in Sandalak left Ikalak over some controversy/drama.

Taselak had its own problems, though hopefully that unpleasantness has all been fixed.

In short: There is no perfect nirvana. Every realm has its problems. This is to be expected. A group of players assembled at random, containing several strong/stubborn personalities, has to work out the pecking order. People need to define where they all fit.

Also, this: http://xkcd.com/386/

People refuse to just f'ing let go! It doesn't matter that two dozen people *already* said "just shut up and let it all blow over", they just *have* to scream out their personal plea to everyone to just shut the hell up, because "hey, maybe everyone will listen to ME even though they've ignored everyone else's demand to shut up. I'm special!"

This is the kind of crap that happens when people take an IC argument into OOC. REALM-WIDE OOC ARGUING NEVER HELPS! People need to learn to keep their game IC. If they feel the need to go OOC, then do it by PM.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Great. Just great :p

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
I hear there was some rough times in Ikalak, too. At least one of the people in Sandalak left Ikalak over some controversy/drama.

Taselak had its own problems, though hopefully that unpleasantness has all been fixed.

In short: There is no perfect nirvana. Every realm has its problems. This is to be expected. A group of players assembled at random, containing several strong/stubborn personalities, has to work out the pecking order. People need to define where they all fit.

Also, this: http://xkcd.com/386/

People refuse to just f'ing let go! It doesn't matter that two dozen people *already* said "just shut up and let it all blow over", they just *have* to scream out their personal plea to everyone to just shut the hell up, because "hey, maybe everyone will listen to ME even though they've ignored everyone else's demand to shut up. I'm special!"

This is the kind of crap that happens when people take an IC argument into OOC. REALM-WIDE OOC ARGUING NEVER HELPS! People need to learn to keep their game IC. If they feel the need to go OOC, then do it by PM.

Holy cow.

You're way more worked up over this than I ever got. Maybe step away for a minute. Smell a flower. Pet a dog. Have a beer.

:D

Gustav Kuriga

At least I tried to go out with a laugh rather than a sour note. Death by letters is a rather interesting way to go. Although in the Adeptus Administratum, being crushed by stacks of papers is a relatively common occurrence.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
You're way more worked up over this than I ever got.
What spins me up is how people assume that just because you have a problem with someone, that you *must* be part of some OOC clique, and all your motivations are OOC driven. After all, this is the WAR ISLAND, and if you pay attention to something other than beating the other realm bloody, you MUST have some OOC plot. I mean, if not, then you'd just get along with everyone, right?

And, really, how hard is it to just ignore the crap you don't want to deal with? Don't care that the judge is a Sartanian and that the totemist people don't want a Sartanian? Then here's a novel idea: Ignore the debate, because it really just doesn't have any flipping effect on you, does it?

You're not the one getting constant duel challenges? Ignore it, and let the judge/ruler deal with it.

But in either case, don't send realm-wide OOC messages yelling at people and accusing them of being, variously:
* OOC motivated
* Members of a clan
* Stupid
* Childish
* A dick
* A fool
* Talking to other players in ways other than using IG messaging (wtf... we're not allowed to talk to other players outside the game or we're powergamers?)
* Abusing OOC relationships to get/hold power
* Powergaming
* Tired of everyone else's OOC messages, and you're going to let everyone know by writing another OOC message
* "ableist and offensive" toward disabled people

And that's all within the last 2 days.

Maybe Kurlock *should* start OOC banning people...   >:(

Maybe step away for a minute. Smell a flower. Pet a dog. Have a beer.
I *could* use a beer...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Can't we just sink the island and try again? :p

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
* "ableist and offensive" toward disabled people

Where the hell is that one coming from?
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
No one quit because Sandalak was about to become the Theocracy of Sartan. Two people quit because as players they didn't like any element of Sartanism existing in Sandalak, including Sartanian characters and, rather than resolve this through in game methods, they instead decided to stop playing if other players didn't just suddenly rewrite the identities of their own characters for their personal convenience.

Lapallanch, ICly you can do anything you want but all I can say is that so far the players of Sartanian characters have been pretty happy to play along with others while it's the players of other characters who have been refusing to play nicely and throwing their toys out of the pram like spoiled children.

Including, I might add, one who quit in a flurry of swearing and ableist insults which I for one found f***ing offensive considering I'm disabled myself.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
Either way, the Titans ruled on the matter. So hopefully we can now just get on with it all and start the choppy-choppy in a day or two. Or rather, the crushy-crushy if we march with Kurlock. Personally, Aero would be up for some stabby-stabby.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Moderator note: I don't think this thread is accomplishing much beyond continuing OOC arguments. Locked. I strongly suggest everyone calm down before starting another Sandalak thread.