Author Topic: Trade Stuff  (Read 5133 times)

Harumune

Trade Stuff
« Topic Start: May 30, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »
I can't see any trade offers from neighbouring regions, even though the economy pages say they exist. I am in a marketplace and as a trader I have a trading distance of 600 miles. Am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:54:09 PM by Astora »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Trading distance
« Reply #1: May 30, 2014, 02:15:35 AM »
Who are you, and where are you?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 30, 2014, 04:02:58 AM »
Can you measure your Merchant skill at Academy? Go and get and estimate, if I recall correctly, the higher your skill, the more distance you can cover.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Harumune

« Reply #3: May 30, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
Character ID=5879; World=8; currently sitting in Port Nebel.

Harumune

« Reply #4: May 31, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
Any update on this?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 31, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
I've not had chance to fully look into this yet, but what I have managed to see tells me that, at the very least, you're not yet a skilled trader.

Also, being in Port Nebel, at least some of the "neighbouring" regions are quite a long way away. However, I'm going to assume you mean Nebel and Qubel :)

When you say "the economy pages", what page, exactly, do you mean?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Harumune

« Reply #6: May 31, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
Could be for I have a trader for merely a week. Still, from the marketplace of Port Nebel it says the character has a trading distance of 600 miles, which compared to travel times means it should be pretty easy for him to see Nebel and Qubel as you pointed out (Port Nebel-Qubel is 140 miles). For example, I can see the offer in Aveston but not in Qubel. Unless I a completely misreading how the trading distance miles work and I shouldn't be comparing them with travel miles, but I don't think that is the case.

Economy pages are pages that are visible to traders. I can check the region buy and sell offers there. They are found on the region page right next to Infrastructure and Religion information. :)

Harumune

« Reply #7: June 03, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
It's working now. I can see all the offers I should be able to see.

Harumune

« Reply #8: June 08, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
More on this of similar nature. I managed to meet some buy and sell offers and tried to broker them for a small profit for my trader. Nothing happened. Do these happen at turn change or is something broken? I can still see the same offers on the marketplace so I am guessing the brokerage didn't work.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 08, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
Brokerage happens immediately. Also, more details are required.  "Nothing happened" is not very descriptive. What button did you press? Did the pager reload? Did you get an error? Did the page footer with your unit status appear? Were the trade offers matched in bushels? Would you have at least broken even?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 08, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »
This should now be fixed.
Timothy Collett

Harumune

« Reply #11: June 08, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
It is. Thank you.

Harumune

Re: Trade Stuff
« Reply #12: June 24, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Is there a particular reason why I can't broker my own deals? As a Banker this is complicating things when it comes to long range trading as it nullifies the allowed access my Lords have provided.

Also, perhaps a silly question, can I just go to one city that is very far away and simply buy some food, or do I need to work out a trading network to get me some sweet sweet food?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 24, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
Is there a particular reason why I can't broker my own deals? As a Banker this is complicating things when it comes to long range trading as it nullifies the allowed access my Lords have provided.
If you have the ability to create a buy/sell offer, then you have no need to broker. You can just buy and sell directly.

Also, perhaps a silly question, can I just go to one city that is very far away and simply buy some food, or do I need to work out a trading network to get me some sweet sweet food?
Your ability to trade is based on the distance between your physical location, and the warehouse with which you will trade.

Accepting a Sell offer:
* You are the lord of Madina city.
* Someone in Springdale wants to sell you some food.
* You spend three weeks traveling from Madina to Springdale.
* When you get to Springdale, the lord of Springdale posts a Sell offer for 500 bushels of food.
* Since you are physically located in Springdale, the Sell offer is 0 miles away from you, so you can accept it and buy the food. *poof* The food is magically in Madina immediately.

Posting a Buy offer:
* While in Springdale, you decide to leave an open Buy offer, in case the lord of Springdale finds more food to sell. You post an offer to Buy 500 more bushels of food.
* A bit later, the lord of Springdale goes to fill the order, but, lo and behold, he can't see it! wtf?

The reason for this is that when you post an offer to buy or sell, the offer is posted in your region, not your physical location. So when the lord of Madina is in Springdale, and posts a Buy offer, the offer is posted in Madina, and not in Springdale. When the lord of Springdale goes to fill the offer, he's 4,000+ miles away from it.

So, in short:
*When an offer is posted, it appears in the poster's home region. This applies to both Buy and Sell offers.
* When you go to accept an offer, your ability to see and accept the offer is based on the offer's distance from your physical location.

This often bites banker's in the butt. They can control warehouses across their entire realm, regardless of the range. But when they go to accept an offer, their ability to see that offer *is* limited by range. Just because you can post a Sell offer for a region 800 miles away doesn't mean you can then accept it. You may need to go the other way around. Post the Buy offer, then control the warehouse where the food is and accept it.

Edit: Minor clarifications and a typo or two.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:16:14 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Harumune

« Reply #14: June 24, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
Thank you for the post. That explains quite a bit.

* Since you are physically located in Springdale, the trade offer is 0 miles away from you, and you can buy it. *poof* The food is magically in Madina immediately.

This was the part I didn't know and which was very confusing. I had no idea that food can be magically brought to your own warehouse from a region that is hundreds of miles away. But this eases it quite a bit.