Author Topic: Additional Action for General  (Read 4679 times)

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
Additional Action for General
« Topic Start: May 21, 2011, 03:42:10 AM »
I have noticed that it is extremely hard to re-organize an established realm's military. Is there some way that the General position could also hold the ability to relocate troops from one army to another, and also have a visible list of those not posted to an army?

It is very difficult to manage the military when the Lords aren't always paying attention to army posting requests, or necessarily agreeable.

Once a Knight has enlisted joined up with an army, it should also be the highest ranking military officer who actually has some say as to where that Knight gets posted.

At least, that's my feelings on it. I don't know if it would be hard to code or anything, by no means am I talented with a computer, but it would simplify the lives of every General in the game, and therefore all the spectacular militaries in BM.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Action for General
« Reply #1: May 21, 2011, 05:26:34 AM »
The current system exists to give lords further sway in intra-realm politics.

Your objection to inactive lords is justified though. Perhaps lords can choose whether they will allow the General to relocate their knights or not. If they allow it then the they will have less micromanagement on their hands while still retaining the ability to move their knights if it suits their political needs.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 21, 2011, 06:04:43 AM »
The general having game-generated "requests" could help, though. Some people are just lazy. If they got prompted by a message saying: "The general has requested that you assign your knight Bob to the Army of Sillystan, press *accept* if you wish to comply." -> this could help.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #3: May 21, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
I like both the previous suggestions.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 22, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
If general is not to have too much direct power, he should also at least be able to receive all messages from all armies marked as orders, as well as able to read standing orders for all armies.

that is not much, he should at least have overview how marshals implement his orders, and such level of information would be approximation to what ruler, banker and judge receive in their domains.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 22, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »
If general is not to have too much direct power, he should also at least be able to receive all messages from all armies marked as orders, as well as able to read standing orders for all armies.

that is not much, he should at least have overview how marshals implement his orders, and such level of information would be approximation to what ruler, banker and judge receive in their domains.

I had thought this would be nice too even though, it is simple for a Marshal to simple send a report of the orders to the General. Standing Orders I still think that would be nice. The reason why I don't think normal orders sent to the army should be sent to the General is because it would make it harder for an army to go rouge against the General. It is a small element but I feel like their should be some freedom for someone to make a small army and at one point do something on their own like rebel or w/e without it instantly telling the General.

I thought of something that could maybe also apply for Marshals. When a realm is together looting a region, a General/Marshal could create a temporary pot sort of. A noble after receiving gold from looting could choose if they want to put the gold into the pot or not. Then the General/Marshal could distribute it to whoever is in the region or part of the army, or maybe send it to the whole realm through the taxes system. This would be beneficial for armies that are trying to stay on the field longer by looting, but things can happen where one Noble loots a ton causing peasants to come and players that play the game towards the end of a turn never get a chance.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:41:50 AM by MaleMaldives »

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 22, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
One power I think the general should have, is to appoint a new sponsor to an army when the previous sponsor have gone awol (getting paused because of inactivity).

This would save us the hassle of creating an entirely new army to move everyone to when we need to change marshal. Happened a few months back in Sirion (East Continent).
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

egamma

« Reply #7: May 22, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
One power I think the general should have, is to appoint a new sponsor to an army when the previous sponsor have gone awol (getting paused because of inactivity).

This would save us the hassle of creating an entirely new army to move everyone to when we need to change marshal. Happened a few months back in Sirion (East Continent).

I like this as well. Someone can be paused for months before their account is finally deleted and the army reassigned.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 22, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
I don't think Tom would be too happy with that. He has been pretty adamant in the past that armies are personal things, and not to be passed around. A sponsor who has lost his region can willingly give the army to the current lord of the army's home region. But I can't see him agreeing to have the general simply take the army away from someone. Just have someone make a new army, and have everyone reassigned. And if it causes some chaos, well, it's war, and war is a chaotic time.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 22, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
I like this as well. Someone can be paused for months before their account is finally deleted and the army reassigned.

There's another fix for this in the works related to how the game handles pausing (basically creating two different kinds of pausing to handle different situations) to help ameliorate this problem, but Indirik's point stands: Armies belong to the founder and unless the founder is gone gone, they get to keep it.

I rather like the idea of Generals being able to send generated requests for reassignment of nobles.  That still preserves the power of lords to refuse if they want, but in the 90% of cases where they want to help out it makes life easier.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 23, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
assigning nobles look as micromanagement to me, and if sponsors are accountable for army effectiveness, than why bypassing them.

general can make directions how armies to be structured, which can be fully or partly accepted, and he currently has overview of all assignments, and in last step, he can create army himself if he has particular wish for taking some of sponsor duties.

information about army orders, which i am trying to advocate, does not allow general to micromanage, but to make overview. general who would use such information for chasing marshals for any commas in orders would be plainly dull, but some sort of mentoring young marshals would also be available, as currently if they are not army veterans, marshals can hardly get such useful advice.

using army as force of secret rebellion, as someone mentioned, does not look so fit in rp-ing sense. rebelling and rogue plans fit secret societies, even open guilds with limited membership.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 24, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
assigning nobles look as micromanagement to me, and if sponsors are accountable for army effectiveness, than why bypassing them.

general can make directions how armies to be structured, which can be fully or partly accepted, and he currently has overview of all assignments, and in last step, he can create army himself if he has particular wish for taking some of sponsor duties.

information about army orders, which i am trying to advocate, does not allow general to micromanage, but to make overview. general who would use such information for chasing marshals for any commas in orders would be plainly dull, but some sort of mentoring young marshals would also be available, as currently if they are not army veterans, marshals can hardly get such useful advice.

using army as force of secret rebellion, as someone mentioned, does not look so fit in rp-ing sense. rebelling and rogue plans fit secret societies, even open guilds with limited membership.

You only need to look to the history of the Roman Empire to see examples of an army or two being a force of a rebellion though. While Secret societies and guilds are one avenue for a rebellion, really ANY organisation can be used to plan and stage one, just with an army you have slightly less control over who is in it :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: May 29, 2011, 07:37:45 AM »
If you don't want the general to see your secret plans, send the message via the some realm members option, then select everyone who you trust in the army and send them the secret plans. If you want it kept secret, then by God do the extra work to keep it secret!