Author Topic: Drinking beer, listening to Alice in Chains, feeling calm.... Sandalak  (Read 41772 times)

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
That was before the WIP came in, it's meant to be easier to take regions now right? (Or maybe I just dreamed that bit.)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
That was before the WIP came in, it's meant to be easier to take regions now right? (Or maybe I just dreamed that bit.)

It has nothing to do with taking regions being hard. It has to do with going there quickly and actually doing it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

I've suggested it a few times. No one seems to be wanting to take charge. I think our ruler and general both have hit very busy RL periods, and don't have a lot of time to play. I guess someone else will have to step up ad take charge...

Yeah, and I blame THAT on the inability of most BM players over the many years to understand the difference between a General and a Marshal. General should be able to be busy RL, because he only has to give out a sense of what he wants accomplished.

It's interesting to watch - Kurlock is running things exactly how I've always argued they should be in the game (small armies, General giving out goals), but no one understands how exactly they do that because they aren't used to playing that way. It requires communication and very active Marshals and Vice Marshals.

Coming together finally, though.

Zakilevo

Yeah, and I blame THAT on the inability of most BM players over the many years to understand the difference between a General and a Marshal. General should be able to be busy RL, because he only has to give out a sense of what he wants accomplished.

It's interesting to watch - Kurlock is running things exactly how I've always argued they should be in the game (small armies, General giving out goals), but no one understands how exactly they do that because they aren't used to playing that way. It requires communication and very active Marshals and Vice Marshals.

Coming together finally, though.

We will have to do this the hard way. We will lose a bit and bleed quite a bit but I am sure people will eventually get used to the idea.

I think I am learning few things from the whole multi army plan.

1) Many people are used to leading at least 10k CS. Something sizable not as fragmented as what they have in Sandalak.
2) You can't just give them a vague goal to people and hope them to organize a plan cause people just can't do it. So the general has to be a bit more detailed still. Maybe in a form of suggestion. Still goals should be clear and you need to make sure what you want people to do.
3) People are too used to following orders from generals. Well to be honest, most realms rely too much on their generals to do everything. People just don't know how to split the work. Though people have some general understandnig of what general and marshal should be like they don't quite able to produce what they think in their heads.
4) There are some eager marshals but they want bigger armies not something they can't do anything with cause they don't really know how to communicate with another marshal to combine their forces in one area.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:48:00 PM by Lapallanch »

Jens Namtrah

one other important point - with smaller armies, Marshals are going to have to pay attention to knowing their men (players)

If you Marshal 20k & order a march to Region X, you can count on 15K getting there. If you marshal 10 nobles, you need to know how many you can count on most of the time

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The more armies you have, the stronger a lead the leaders need to take. You can't lead by committe. Someone at the top needs to set the goal, and tell people to do it. "Take region x."   Then let the marshals handle the details.

If you just make general suggestions, then people will just talk forever and no one will actually make the move.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
The more armies you have, the stronger a lead the leaders need to take. You can't lead by committe. Someone at the top needs to set the goal, and tell people to do it. "Take region x."   Then let the marshals handle the details.

If you just make general suggestions, then people will just talk forever and no one will actually make the move.

This. People can get together when times are tough and lead even without a General, but the confusion is often a really big risk to take. A General may be able to stand back to let everyone do their thing, but they need to be around whatever the situation. Give your orders and your plan clearly, but even then you have to keep an eye on things. The 'details' include things like making sure troops get somewhere on time, or that the soldiers are paid, or individual requests from troop leaders are dealt with.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Absolutely. I've long believed that Marshals should be the ones giving orders and that Generals should be the ones setting goals. But goals have to be clear: "you take over region X, you defend region Y", "go on a raid into realm Z's territory, loot regions you pass through", etc.

And it is vital that the General, who is the only one seeing the big picture, makes sure that Marshals know where other armies are and that Marshals know who they should speak to if they need support.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Absolutely. I've long believed that Marshals should be the ones giving orders and that Generals should be the ones setting goals. But goals have to be clear: "you take over region X, you defend region Y", "go on a raid into realm Z's territory, loot regions you pass through", etc.

And it is vital that the General, who is the only one seeing the big picture, makes sure that Marshals know where other armies are and that Marshals know who they should speak to if they need support.

That's exactly the point. Generals have access to all the information in game that marshals don't.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Zakilevo

That's exactly the point. Generals have access to all the information in game that marshals don't.
Nope. He doesn't get all the details anymore. Only marshals and sponsors can see exact CS of each TL.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
That is unfortunately true. But they do still get the location of all members of each army. So, they do know where each army is, and should know what the army is doing. They have that big picture focus that the marshals don't usually need.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
General + Sponsor = all problems solved!

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
General + Sponsor = all problems solved!

Ah, the fruits of capitalism.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There is no calm, we have war right now. Good battles, good way to increase honor and prestige. And what with Immortal Kurlock got himself wounded in battle? ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Zakilevo

There is no calm, we have war right now. Good battles, good way to increase honor and prestige. And what with Immortal Kurlock got himself wounded in battle? ::)

TIS WAS MERELY A FRESH WOUND!