Author Topic: Drinking beer, listening to Alice in Chains, feeling calm.... Sandalak  (Read 41213 times)

Jens Namtrah

title. 'nuff said

Jens Namtrah

actually...

In a bit of personal quandary.  Had my char planned, which made sense IG. Unfortunately, IG got pretty intertwined with OOC with all that mess, and I'd like to cut off the bits that might be misconstrued as carrying over the grudge. So, expect some schizophrenia from Earon for a few days while I figure him out

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
So I dunno about folks in other realms but, for those who remember BM's heyday in 06-08, I'm starting to wonder if The Problem has been no War Islands. Because I'd frankly forgotten what a big realm was like, and a realm where there's a clear, decided, indisputable final objective. Sandalak feels to me (in all the good and bad ways) much like what most of BM felt like when I was newer around here: rowdy, feud-ridden, very little IC/OOC distinction, but (hopefully) team play. We'll see if team play shows up, I think it will.

Still though, I can't help think this might be what we've been missing these last few years of reduced player count.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Player density rocks.

Which is kinda what I've been saying for a long time now.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
So I dunno about folks in other realms but, for those who remember BM's heyday in 06-08, I'm starting to wonder if The Problem has been no War Islands. Because I'd frankly forgotten what a big realm was like, and a realm where there's a clear, decided, indisputable final objective. Sandalak feels to me (in all the good and bad ways) much like what most of BM felt like when I was newer around here: rowdy, feud-ridden, very little IC/OOC distinction, but (hopefully) team play. We'll see if team play shows up, I think it will.

Still though, I can't help think this might be what we've been missing these last few years of reduced player count.

The IC/OOC distinction isn't necessarily a good thing but it is a good indicator of a bunch of people really intent on playing the game. Abuses happen as a result of it and I personally don't want it everywhere I am in. I'm sometimes tempted to advertise BM on the worst places possible to just see how the game reacts to a sudden influx of the lowest common denominator. Just tempted...

Taselak has a bit of peace going on at the moment since we're all just doing little things whilst waiting to see what actually happens. In the mean time I think a few more piss fights might actually be a good idea to get the blood going! As a ruler or judge the obvious decision usually seems to be to stop internal division happening but I think in future I'll do everything short of actively encouraging it.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
The IC/OOC distinction isn't necessarily a good thing but it is a good indicator of a bunch of people really intent on playing the game. Abuses happen as a result of it and I personally don't want it everywhere I am in. I'm sometimes tempted to advertise BM on the worst places possible to just see how the game reacts to a sudden influx of the lowest common denominator. Just tempted...

Taselak has a bit of peace going on at the moment since we're all just doing little things whilst waiting to see what actually happens. In the mean time I think a few more piss fights might actually be a good idea to get the blood going! As a ruler or judge the obvious decision usually seems to be to stop internal division happening but I think in future I'll do everything short of actively encouraging it.

Keep it to temptation! :P I personally wouldn't want Fark or Goonsquad playing BM. I play another game with those two communities involved (and once upon a time even 4chan or /b/ played) and.. well, I'm not sure they'd fit into the niche of BM.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Keep it to temptation! :P I personally wouldn't want Fark or Goonsquad playing BM. I play another game with those two communities involved (and once upon a time even 4chan or /b/ played) and.. well, I'm not sure they'd fit into the niche of BM.
I'm glad you knew what I was thinking about. I know some people from those groups would love to play BM and even RP quite well (I met a few really good guys for international rping on /tg/) but depending on where you advertised you might get lots of interest from the wrong places. At the very least the titans would have their work cut out for them.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile

I was around (with a different family) in those days, and my experience was SO different.

I started in a realm that was VERY dull, with established king/general/judge/lords and TOTAL stagnation. I think my first character saw no combat for weeks, and the older players had zero interest in engaging newcomers. I found other realms that were more active, but in general the game was the opposite of rowdy, and it seemed IMPOSSIBLE to get lordships or council seats, and I found exactly one other player that engaged in active, character to character RP.

Thinking back on it now, the longest RP going on was basically a story about the king's wedding and it was interminable. It went on forever, and involved no one else in the realm. Yeesh.

It's kind of funny how player experiences can be so world's apart, depending on region. For whatever reason, my experience this time around has been much more fun/lively.

alex

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity, what realm and approximate date was that, if you don't mind sharing?

Battlemaster has always been a bit of a hit and miss affair. It is entirely possible that *your* realm is boring as hell and doing nothing, while the realm next to you is having the time of their lives fighting off three encroaching armies. I always encourage new players to start as many characters as they can, on different islands, and to not be shy about switching realms to find something that matches their desired play style.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity, what realm and approximate date was that, if you don't mind sharing?

I needed to wiki my old family page for dates, but it was Eston in 2007.

I hate to complain about those guys- they were just playing the game they wanted to play. It is funny thinking back; I started a religion (still going strong) and someone then decided they wanted their own religion, state-sponsored, which became dominant in the realm.... so even when I tried to do something to keep things interesting for myself, an older player stepped in and made it difficult/boring. I couldn't win! Hahahaha...

Again, things are MUCH BETTER this time around.

Battlemaster has always been a bit of a hit and miss affair. It is entirely possible that *your* realm is boring as hell and doing nothing, while the realm next to you is having the time of their lives fighting off three encroaching armies. I always encourage new players to start as many characters as they can, on different islands, and to not be shy about switching realms to find something that matches their desired play style.

Oh yeah. And like I said, it's funny how different experiences can be. I recruited one friend who had a blast, and one who couldn't have been more bored. Luck of draw.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family

Ah man I was there back then. I learnt to take orders and get killed by Falasan. Actively thinking about strategy? Why? We have one already!

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Ah man I was there back then. I learnt to take orders and get killed by Falasan. Actively thinking about strategy? Why? We have one already!

I would have LOVED to have gotten killed by Falasan. That would have meant activity.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

BAHAHAHA.

Yeah Atamara.

But right across your border in 2007 was NORLLAAAAAAAAANNND!!!! Possibly the most ridiculous thing ever to grace Battlemaster. And where I got my start.

Though you are right that player density makes it harder to get titles.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Jens Namtrah

yeah, same here - actually start late 2006/early 2007 in Wetham but then moved to Norland, then spread myself around. Loved it when I found the Barony - I think 75% were either from Wisconsin/Minn/Upper Michigan or else Scandinavians, so we could all sit and play with the same "Viking" accent  ;D

Never a quiet moment in those days. And it WAS hard to get a title - made them actually worth something

These days, you can just walk right into them. We've had an empty region in Talerium the entire time I've been there; the Duke can't be bothered to look for a lord, and none of the players seem to have figured out all they have to do is ask for it. Or something - dunno.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:58:45 AM by Miskel Hemmings »

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
yeah, same here - actually start late 2006/early 2007 in Wetham but then moved to Norland, then spread myself around. Loved it when I found the Barony - I think 75% were either from Wisconsin/Minn/Upper Michigan or else Scandinavians, so we could all sit and play with the same "Viking" accent  ;D

Never a quiet moment in those days. And it WAS hard to get a title - made them actually worth something

These days, you can just walk right into them. We've had an empty region in Talerium the entire time I've been there; the Duke can't be bothered to look for a lord, and none of the players seem to have figured out all they have to do is ask for it. Or something - dunno.

Norland was a great realm. Started there in 2006 as well...still is the best realm i've played. It was sad to see it gone.
Today you can join a realm and become a lord just for showing up.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic