Author Topic: The war has begun! Lets celebrate with a nice tall glass of bloodlust  (Read 17442 times)

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Or "we" could just leave things alone and stop making deals / ceasefires / etc.
I'm willing to fight an uphill battle and I don't want to distract from the fighting itself, but a region with walls on the front lines being TOed in one turn instead of five days because of a bug is a big thing. It should be discussed at the very least.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Toren Stronghold is cursed, anyone who played on the old SEI should know!

I was going to pick my old realm of Taselak, and then saw the "egalitarian" flavor set for it, and decided to screw that. Now I'm a knight of the cursed stronghold, instead. Must crush the yaks into submission!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Toren Stronghold is cursed, anyone who played on the old SEI should know!

I was going to pick my old realm of Taselak, and then saw the "egalitarian" flavor set for it, and decided to screw that. Now I'm a knight of the cursed stronghold, instead. Must crush the yaks into submission!
That's right, a Chenier could never stand to not feel superior to others.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That's right, a Chenier could never stand to not feel superior to others.

Of course not.

All may be equal, but some are more equal than others. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Well to be fair I am part of the realms sorting it out, but I wanted to know how the devs feel about it (whether the devs answer or if anyone else knows anything) so we could know what we wanted to do.
Unless the effect of a bug has some major, game-breaking effects, then the dev team will not interfere in IG events beyond fixing the bug itself. As Anaris says, the regions will not be transferred back to the original realms. Yes, it sucks that Sandalak was able to take Toren Stronghold in about 10.5 hours. But Sandalak also lost Korlok to the Ikalaks in a TO that went from 44% to complete in a single turn.

It's a bug. We play through it.

We haven't agreed if there should be a ceasefire, a turnover of the region or business as usual yet because I think we wanted to confirm it was a bug.
IMNSHO: Play through it. Stop with all the agreements and cease-fires and deals, and attempts to "make it fair". Just play.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Unless the effect of a bug has some major, game-breaking effects, then the dev team will not interfere in IG events beyond fixing the bug itself. As Anaris says, the regions will not be transferred back to the original realms.

Wasn't saying it should be reversed, I was asking about what would happen so I can move on to the next stage.

Yes, it sucks that Sandalak was able to take Toren Stronghold in about 10.5 hours. But Sandalak also lost Korlok to the Ikalaks in a TO that went from 44% to complete in a single turn.
Korlok isn't comparable so there isn't a moral high ground in that argument. See, I think there is an interest in playing fair. A realm falls apart due to internal bickering? That's a problem with the players, it is a competitive game, they lose because they couldn't work together. A bug switches a region over in 10.5 hours which has high quality RCs, strongest walls on the continent, highest non-city gold production, and a pivotal position to boot?

I think it is worth talking about at the least since this is a war island. An island where everything was balanced at the beginning in the interests of an even fight where superior tactics and ability would provide a victor. I won't wimp out from a fight against even bigger odds than were already there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
If my experience with Risk!-like game is of any indicator, any 3-way competition will completely negate any short-term advantage as the two weakest parties will usually band together, either directly or indirectly, to negate this advantage.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Another bug like that in top dog's favour and we can safely hit reset button. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Korlok isn't comparable so there isn't a moral high ground in that argument.
It most certainly is comparable. A rich, fortified townsland adjacent to the enemy's capital, and a sticking point in negotiations. It pretty effectively bottles Ikalak up, and keeps them north of the river. Gives Sandalak a great launching point for an assault on Ikalak city itself. It's *more* important to Sandalak that Toren Stronghold, which is overrated.

See, I think there is an interest in playing fair.
Fair play? Yes.

Second guessing every event that happens, so we can analyze it to figure out whether or not it's fair to keep on playing? No thanks.

If the devs are going to take action and intervene in the game, then they will do it no matter whether the players get together and decide on an OOC cease-fire or not. The players' default action in all circumstances should be to play the hand you're dealt. This holds true whether the situation screws you, like it did Taselak, or showers you with sunshine and daisies like Ikalak.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
It's *more* important to Sandalak that Toren Stronghold, which is overrated.

Yup. Your argument of morale high ground is backwards Haerthorne. The toren switch sucks mostly because money has been dumped into it and now that investment belongs to a foe. But Korlok is far more strategically sound in the short and long term. I look forward to seeing the stronghold switch several more times before I take over as lord and hold onto it until reset. For the Wyvern Incarnate's eternal glory, of course.

Dragonsbane

• Knight
    • View Profile
It happened, we've heard the verdict, and still discontent from everyone, meanwhile I'm just chillin here enjoying my cake.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
It most certainly is comparable. A rich, fortified townsland adjacent to the enemy's capital, and a sticking point in negotiations. It pretty effectively bottles Ikalak up, and keeps them north of the river. Gives Sandalak a great launching point for an assault on Ikalak city itself. It's *more* important to Sandalak that Toren Stronghold, which is overrated.

The difference is the TO force in Korlok was making good progress whilst 200 men took Toren Stronghold in half a day when they were not even focusing on it. I do not know the whole situation in Korlok and I assume you have an army heading there, but the situation stands as one where I think it worthwhile to discuss what we do in response to a bug which no one was expecting. Also the region certainly does have strategic value as any line of fortifications does.[/quote]

Fair play? Yes.

Second guessing every event that happens, so we can analyze it to figure out whether or not it's fair to keep on playing? No thanks.
[/quote]
Now this is I don't understand. I get this feeling like you have to deal with a lot of people complaining about small details in the game which seem stacked against them. I guess it must make you quite frustrated. All I'm doing is asking about something (accepting that it can't be changed by the devs quite graciously too) and countering the points you provide about the spirit of the island whilst continuing to emphasise I am willing to fight through whatever cards Taselak is dealt here as I discuss it here with you. This is the first time I've ever brought something up in years of playing battlemaster and simply because I didn't know what would happen as a result of it.

As I said at the beginning, "a ceasefire, a turnover of the region or business as usual yet". Business as usual, as in "oh well, situations changed, lets roll with it". And the 'we' mentioned were the other Generals and I, since it was a particularly unusual circumstance.

It's very clear that firm opinions have been expressed here so my questions have been answered.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
It is a three way contest. In general any advantage a bug grants will be countered by the fact that any advantage a single realm gains through any means will only encourage the other two realms to focus on that realm to destroy the advantage.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Toren is arguably indefensible for both Taselak and Sandalak due to their natural rallies being in Falens/CoG. If it came with high level walls it would be a different matter, but it won't with both sides fighting under it.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Toren is arguably indefensible for both Taselak and Sandalak due to their natural rallies being in Falens/CoG. If it came with high level walls it would be a different matter, but it won't with both sides fighting under it.

Heretic! There are no positions which the Griffin and Wyvern cannot hold against the heathens and invaders of Ikalak and Taselak!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner