Author Topic: protocol for a dead hero?  (Read 1922 times)

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
protocol for a dead hero?
« Topic Start: June 30, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
Hey,

So I am a relatively new player, only been on for about five months. My first character just died a heroic death, and as this is the first character death I've had to deal with that wasn't as the result of an account lock/deletion, I was wondering if there was any sort of protocol that is normally followed? I.e. waiting a certain amount of time before burying, what is/isn't acceptable for replacement character slot, etc.

I've already filled out a quick RP in the roleplaying board about it, not the greatest but better than nothing I guess.

Gustav Kuriga

Re: protocol for a dead hero?
« Reply #1: June 30, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
Go ahead and create another character in the same place, but don't demand to have your position back. Positions are held by characters, not players.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 30, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
I had figured that for sure about the Marshal title, but does that include titles that were typically inherited, such as lordships?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 30, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
I had figured that for sure about the Marshal title, but does that include titles that were typically inherited, such as lordships?

Because of the way the family system in BattleMaster works, inheritance is not particularly desirable. If we used an inheritance system, all that would happen is that each position would be locked up by one player forever.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 30, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
That really depends on the realm and players. People typically don't demand their positions back. If you try to demand your positions be given to your new character, don't expect to be handed them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 30, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
Makes sense. I wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask before I unintentionally made an arse of myself.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 01, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »
But it's completely acceptable for a new character to say, "I am Dave, son and heir of the dearly departed Bob." It's then up to the other characters whether to accept or reject if Dave has any claim on anything. I've seen thrones contested in this way before - a supposed heir appears and makes claims on the crown.

The only thing I hate is when a new character appears as a successor to a dead character, then the other characters in a realm treat the new one exactly the same as the old one. It's so irritating when a 17 year old new character is treated like the reincarnation of the old dead character.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 01, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I was thinking something along those lines. Wanting to take some time to mull over character ideas and personas, as well as rp loghain's funeral