Author Topic: Improved World News ?  (Read 2188 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Improved World News ?
« Topic Start: June 10, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
Before submitting this under feature requests, I thought I'd ask for some feedback:
Part 1:
Currently the World News for each continent is only readily available to players with characters on that continent. I propose that players could see the world news for each continent as part of the character creation process (under step 3?) or revamped to allow anyone to see the world news just like the dynamic maps are available to everyone.

Part 2:
Current world news items are 'Huge Battle Fought','Government Reformed', and 'Rumours of a Miracle', 'Public Execution', and 'Rebellion' (did I miss any?). 'rumours of a Miracle' could probably be taken out.

I would add the following game events to world news to give a fuller idea of events on the island.
  • Change of seasons
  • City and Stronghold change of ownership
  • Federation or War declarations
  • Tournament declared/tournament results
  • Duchy Allegiance changes

Any other events that would be beneficial to add?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Improved World News ?
« Reply #1: June 10, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
I like your suggestions and additions.

A permanent archive of world news would be great.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 11, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »
I'd go further with updates to world news.  Some times we lose players to slow boughts in the game, or player time to sort through it all if they are inactive for a while.

It would do much better to turn it into a more comprehensive report, even if updated monthly to avoid spoilers.  Then, auto-email a link of the ticker generated news to accounts inactive for more than a few weeks every month.  Either keep our players filled in during longer planned leaves, rekindle interest in those that stepped away, or even just get everybody the option to subscribe for !@#$s and giggles.  I think it would help with retention at least.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 12, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
I'd go further with updates to world news.  Some times we lose players to slow boughts in the game, or player time to sort through it all if they are inactive for a while.

It would do much better to turn it into a more comprehensive report, even if updated monthly to avoid spoilers.  Then, auto-email a link of the ticker generated news to accounts inactive for more than a few weeks every month.  Either keep our players filled in during longer planned leaves, rekindle interest in those that stepped away, or even just get everybody the option to subscribe for !@#$s and giggles.  I think it would help with retention at least.

Any specific events you'd want the world news to capture?

I like your suggestions and additions.

A permanent archive of world news would be great.
I agree, A permanent archive or at least longer span of time would be good.