Author Topic: Improved army chest  (Read 3731 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Improved army chest
« Topic Start: May 29, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
over many complaints i would currently have, I feel need to favorize at least one: gold distribution scheme utterly needs some improvement.

army chest could, for instance, be used for all sponsors to send funds to it, and army nobles should be able to withdraw proportionally to their honor, prestige, some internal army rating, and use that gold for recruitment.

i feel current begging for funds each and every week is possibly the most annoying and boring aspect of playing.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Improved army chest
« Reply #1: May 29, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
What I would like to see is options, because the I dont care to add this such that all armies must allow this, but I think something along these lines could be good.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 30, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »
The army war chest will not be made into a simple method for direct transfer of money from the sponsor to any and every noble in the army wherever they are. That is not what it is for.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 30, 2014, 07:18:47 AM »
wherever they are

Actually, the request was specifically for recruitment. Given that you can only recruit in the capital, where there should be a bank anyway, it does not bypass the geographical restrictions for gold transfers.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 30, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
You could always ask the ruler or wealthy nobles to create a guild based slush fund, having guild branches in required regions and nobles are promoted or demoted according to their contribution. This includes all the points you have raised :)
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 30, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
If you don't like begging for more money, you could do a couple things:

* You could find a lord willing to give you a bigger tax income.
* You could just recruit whatever troops you can afford, without begging for more money.

Constantly asking for more money is NOT a requirement for playing the game. There is nothing in the game that requires you to constantly be asking for more money. If you choose to do so, then that's your choice.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 30, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
If you don't like begging for more money, you could do a couple things:

* You could find a lord willing to give you a bigger tax income.
* You could just recruit whatever troops you can afford, without begging for more money.

Constantly asking for more money is NOT a requirement for playing the game. There is nothing in the game that requires you to constantly be asking for more money. If you choose to do so, then that's your choice.
I agree with you on all that, but the title of the thread is Improved Army Chest, so I am going to ignore talking about that since I agree and give other suggestions.

What I would like to see are options. To elaborate on it, I mean options for what the sponsor pays. A poor sponsor may only provide gold for training, while richer sponsors will pay for equipment damage as well and the richest will even pay sea travel, instead of all of it automatically coming from the army chest.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 31, 2014, 01:46:26 AM »
...that's not a horrible idea. Allowing the Sponsor and/or Marshal to choose exactly what the war chest gets used for.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 31, 2014, 03:48:51 AM »
Options are a great thing. Even expanding the uses of the war chest is a good thing. Allowing it to be used in the manner proposed in this request: Not a good thing.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 05, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
is this a discussion board or it is just a means to put "get-off-my-neck" message" forward without presenting any arguments at all?  :(

in what is described, it is clearly not transfer of gold at all as it isn't in current army chest working.

it should work as recruitment that would be charged to army chest instead to character's valet - to the extent of total chest's funds and only in some proportion of available funds. for instance character's honor or prestige percentage of overall army's prestige - which would give at some meaning to honor/prestige concept that, as many other original game concepts are seemingly rendered useless without any clear understanding how that improved the game.

distribution of extra funds for recruitment is for long typical strategy in any tighter war campaign, and that is only proposal how to make it less cumbersome than it is now, without changing anything substantially.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:28:17 AM by Stue (DC) »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 09, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
We will not be returning to the socialized/equalized gold distribution schemes used in the prior tax systems. Which is what this request breaks down into: A way to equalize/distribute funds across an army/realm.

I understand what you're trying to do here. I'm not unsympathetic to your intent. However, gold distribution is not intended to be equalized, automated, or institutionalized. You get your taxes, and that's what you get. If you regularly require more gold, then you have some choices:

1) Find a lord willing to give you a larger oath for more tax income.
2) Recruit within the means that your current tax incomes gives you.
3) Constantly beg for gold.
4) Arrange with someone to give gold on a regular basis without you having to ask.
5) Find a general/marshal that is capable of leading your armies without you constantly getting wiped out.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 13, 2014, 11:09:47 PM »
well, the idea was not to depersonalize gold distribution, but to just automatize the most annoying part of it.

army chest has to be filled manually, by army sponsor, and the level of gold he would manage to put in marks level of influence such chest would have. it could not be expected that such funding replaces whole distribution system, ever.

and - if it would be allowed that army sponsor has right to decide on distribution key - for instance key should be honor, prestige, noble's age, time spent in the army... that could even give some flavor to armies.