Author Topic: Everyone enjoying the new teamwork?  (Read 13974 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone enjoying the new teamwork?
« Reply #30: June 20, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Your style of being a general is not a common one unfortunately. I believe thats the way the general should be too, and the best example I have seen of it is Enzo Solari in Thalmarkin.

Personally I feel like too many don't understand the proper roles: General is strategy, Marshal is tactics. General gives broad orders to work on the bigger picture while Marshals deal with the details.

Too often I see the General giving out orders constantly, basically just being the realm's marshals except they maybe send the orders to the Marshals who then send it to the armies. With more than 1 army it can start to lead to burnout as the General and regardless of the number of armies, it makes the Marshal position suck because you aren't actually commanding your army, you are at best a parrot instead of a commander.

Even worse than this are realms where the ruler takes on the job and issues orders all the time - leaving the general, the marshal and the vice marshal completely irrelevant - like in AA :p

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: June 20, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
Even worse than this are realms where the ruler takes on the job and issues orders all the time - leaving the general, the marshal and the vice marshal completely irrelevant - like in AA :p
Sometimes that is a must, cause General keeps disappearing and doesnt read messages :P
~Violence is always an option!~

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #32: June 20, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

When the General sucks someone has to do the job.

Zakilevo

« Reply #33: June 20, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
The general can only play the strategic role if there are people capable of being, and willing to be, marshal. Marshal is one of the hardest positions to fill with competent people.

This. And trust me, although some people think they are capable but usually the most incapable ones are the ones who think they are really competent...

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #34: June 20, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
* Miskel Hemmings keeps thinking about the guy who is convinced he could do more if the entire realm were under his command in a single army ...  :-X

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 21, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
Marshals are just a way to hamstring generals, who do all the work for nothing while the dukes cause trouble to vent their RL pathologies.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 22, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »
This. And trust me, although some people think they are capable but usually the most incapable ones are the ones who think they are really competent...

Aye. I can think of a few who harp on about tactics and strategy, telling everyone how to run it all. But then when they're appointed to a Military position, that means they're on a one-strike philosophy. As soon as they make a mistake, boom. Not so perfect anymore, hm? ;D

But anyway, I gave up my Marshal position on EC because I felt that I just didn't understand enough to be effective, even after a couple years of doing it. Plus the position is redundant bar formations because the General (or indeed, a General for an alliance of realms) is handing out the orders. On SI, the stakes are somewhat higher and I just want to relax for a change, maybe actually get the chance to do some stabby-stabby unlike all the other toons who are usually on extended military deployment.