Author Topic: Un-Protest/Support feature  (Read 2921 times)

Poseidon

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Un-Protest/Support feature
« Topic Start: June 21, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
With the "Disagree/Protest" option, one can protest out a ruling member. But many times this seems to be misused, as same group of people can continue to protest against the person in every turn. There will definitely be a group of people who support the ruling member. So they should be able to have a mechanism to show their continued trust and thus negate a protest.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Un-Protest/Support feature
« Reply #1: June 21, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Protesting every day/turn is not a misuse of the protest feature. If it was, we wouldn't let people do it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #2: June 21, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »
A point a lot of players/characters seem to miss:

Protesting can get you banned on the spot.

People like to chatter about their "right to protest", but there's no such thing. They have the ability to protest, not the right. The right is up to the IG laws of the realm, and ultimately the Judge

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 22, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
Protesting every day/turn is not a misuse of the protest feature. If it was, we wouldn't let people do it.

To expand upon this, if the group of people protesting doesn't have enough support to get the target of their ire out of office on day 1, they won't be able to do it ever. Protests are not cumulative over time.

The most they could possibly do is cause their target to continually lose prestige.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 22, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
A point a lot of players/characters seem to miss:

Protesting can get you banned on the spot.

People like to chatter about their "right to protest", but there's no such thing. They have the ability to protest, not the right. The right is up to the IG laws of the realm, and ultimately the Judge

This is exactly, absolutely true.

If you don't like the people protesting, you can ban them. Of course, that might end up with more people protesting than there were in the first place, but that's the kind of risk you take in this game :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #5: June 23, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
To expand upon this, if the group of people protesting doesn't have enough support to get the target of their ire out of office on day 1, they won't be able to do it ever. Protests are not cumulative over time.

The most they could possibly do is cause their target to continually lose prestige.

Isn't that kind of a pressure to play at something other than your own pace?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 23, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
You're stretching this one so far that you're going to pull a muscle or something.

You could just as easily say that having a 5-day auto-abdicate for council positions forces you to play at something other than your own pace. I mean, you have to log in every 5 days, like clockwork. Miss by one day, and BAM no more ruler for you!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 24, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »

(blinks) Huh.  This may be my memory acting up, but I had exactly the opposite understanding, that you would almost never protest someone out on day one and need time, to allow responses, organization, more people to join in, etc.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 24, 2014, 03:25:03 AM »
(blinks) Huh.  This may be my memory acting up, but I had exactly the opposite understanding, that you would almost never protest someone out on day one and need time, to allow responses, organization, more people to join in, etc.

The reason it tends to be that way in practice is because of that last one: the first turn you very rarely get enough people together to protest the person out entirely, but unless they manage to do something that seriously calms the flames, it usually escalates for between 1 and 4 days before it hits a peak.

Any given character's protests will decay over time unless they re-protest.
Timothy Collett