Author Topic: Open/Closed Border treaty  (Read 3510 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Open/Closed Border treaty
« Topic Start: May 24, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
Should a man of noble standing not be free to move to any realm desired unless a closed border treaty has been declared by the target realm?
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Open/Closed Border treaty
« Reply #1: May 24, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
Should a man of noble standing not be free to move to any realm desired unless a closed border treaty has been declared by the target realm?

And even then. As long as the noble doesn't lead a unit, he should be welcomed at all courts.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 24, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
A diplomat is free to move to any realm that has not explicitly expelled diplomats.

Other realms will tend to be moderately suspicious of any strangers.

If you travel with a unit, however, you don't need to worry about it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 24, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
he should be welcomed at all courts.

theoretically speaking :)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4: May 27, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »
Other realms will tend to be moderately suspicious of any strangers.
Does that mean they will arrest the noble (without an unit) even though there has not been a deceleration of closed borders?

For traders I can see how this can be a problem. You will most likely only have an open border treaty with allies and close neighbours. But traders often travel to more distant realms. Then you can hardly try to avoid every realm you did not signed an open border treaty with. Or you want to leave your realm and join another, however to get to your desired destination you will cross some realms you have not signed an open border treaty with, you get captured an return to your own capital again. Then you can start your journey all over again and hope to make it through the next time.

Aren't you just welcome to visit any realm (without an unit) as long as they have not written a declaration of closed borders?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 27, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »
Traders generally (almost always?) have at least a few guards to keep the bandits away. So long as you have guards, you won't get arrested.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #6: May 27, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »
My trader's guards were all killed (I really need to scout before moving) and now he's naked, defenseless, and carrying several hundred gold.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 27, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
Which makes me think one-sided open border agreements should be possible.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8: May 27, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
Traders generally (almost always?) have at least a few guards to keep the bandits away. So long as you have guards, you won't get arrested.
I generally travel without troops as trader. You don't want to be engaged in combat all the time. You want to get from A to B as fast as possible. And never got robbed.

But my feature request: Just delete the open border treaty. Foreign nobles are welcome unless we declare that our borders as closed.