Author Topic: GREAT MOMENTS... IN BATTLEMASTER HISTORY  (Read 8766 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
GREAT MOMENTS... IN BATTLEMASTER HISTORY
« Topic Start: June 26, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
It's in caps, so you know it's gonna be good.

We've had these threads before, but I love them every time they pop up and I think it's time to get another one going. I'm interested in stories. Let's hear about the funniest/craziest/coolest character/battle/shenanigan you can recall witnessing in BM. The older, the better. New stuff is also welcome! And frankly, too many people are taking this game way too seriously. It's time to deflate the balloon and sit in awe of/laugh at the collective hijinx over the years.

I'd like to start this party by giving a nod to the Ninja Assassin Wizard that was Jaeger Guile. Through the crafty use of scrolls, this infiltrator would drop monster bombs in Melhed, teleport to another realm, stab the Melite Queen, and then teleport away for plausible deniability. The guy was a one man army for the better part of two weeks, and did as much as any single army to lock that war up. His actions also started a raging debate in Thalmarkin about what "honor" meant, and whether we had become a realm of necromancing northmen. So, here's to you, Ninja Assassin Wizard. Blazing a trail with an army of undead in the vanguard.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:27:41 PM by Solari »

Zakilevo

Re: GREAT MOMENTS... IN BATTLEMASTER HISTORY
« Reply #1: June 26, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
Actually I had a great moment recently. Other than my old experience with Abington when we had a mad king who went bat-!@#$-crazy(which made my first BM experience very amusing), this is probably one of the most interesting things I've experienced in the game.

After Kinron Indirik won the ruler election for Sandalak, the referendum was still going. The election was a close one too. Kurlock(my character) lost by 2 votes and everyone thought it was time to move on then after a turn, another election happened and while most realms simply re-elected their rulers(because both Ikalak and Taselak rulers won by a big margin) Kurlock beat Kinron in the second election by 2 votes and became the new ruler of Sandalak.

Winning the election was awesome and all but Kurlock promised to duel someone to death during his campaign and I felt Kurlock was the midget of his words so made him accept the death duel.

The result? He lost and died. But right after his death, he revived thanks to the 'miracle'(you call it miracle and write it as 'new character protection' which has just been changed to 'new player protection'). With Sandalak being a theocracy, it made things quite awesome. People called him 'immortal' or 'twice blessed' for being lucky with the election and the duel.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 26, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Actually I had a great moment recently. Other than my old experience with Abington when we had a mad king who went bat-!@#$-crazy(which made my first BM experience very amusing), this is probably one of the most interesting things I've experienced in the game.

I was hoping you would chime in. This was so epic.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 27, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
When one valiant peasant stood in front of the mighty armies of the Northern Alliance of EC. He charged at the enemy with bare hands and no armour, arrows rained on him but that couldn't stop him until the weight of 6k+ arrows pinned him to the ground. All hail that legendary peasant of Westmoor who went by the name John III Rambo!
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 27, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
When one valiant peasant stood in front of the mighty armies of the Northern Alliance of EC. He charged at the enemy with bare hands and no armour, arrows rained on him but that couldn't stop him until the weight of 6k+ arrows pinned him to the ground. All hail that legendary peasant of Westmoor who went by the name John III Rambo!

That just happened, didn't it? Can you link to the thread in the forum about it? That was also excellent.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #6: June 27, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
Back when the Morek Empire was still Xinhai, our armies were all down in the south dealing with an unruly Aquilegia (let's not start with who was right or wrong in that political quagmire). While we were thus far away from home, the Libero Empire and Raivan Empire both declared war on Xinhai, seeking to make a quick land grab while there was no one to stop them. Our armies marched back north, then proceeded to kick both of their armies out of Xinhai. Libero quickly surrendered, leaving us free to take out the Raivan Empire in a siege of their townsland and city.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 30, 2014, 08:43:05 AM »
"A Judge who is also a Cook for the realm dungeon" joke... Stay cheesy, for I want cheese :D

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2721.0.html
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 30, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
Back during the Ibby vs Perdan/Caligus war that led to Ibby's demise I played another infil for Caligus. Collecting bounties on EC was an adventure, and also led to my infil being tortured and resigning from being an Infil, running for General, and sparking the war with Ibby by doing a lightning invasion of Fontan and watching the Ibladesh forces moving up into a giant defensive trap when they crossed into Caligus lands. The entire war was amazing, but the opening phases were a blast to be involved in.

I don't think I need to go into any specific details, but Sevastian was also one of my joys. Causing mayhem in Luria, Morek, and that grubby little republic that he founded....Taking Balance's Retreat from the rogues, being the first and third lord of the region, holding onto it for a RL year...ya, whoever has the region now can go ahead and fix the region description (cause the one you have is rubbish! :P)

I'd like to start this party by giving a nod to the Ninja Assassin Wizard that was Jaeger Guile. Through the crafty use of scrolls, this infiltrator would drop monster bombs in Melhed, teleport to another realm, stab the Melite Queen, and then teleport away for plausible deniability. The guy was a one man army for the better part of two weeks, and did as much as any single army to lock that war up. His actions also started a raging debate in Thalmarkin about what "honor" meant, and whether we had become a realm of necromancing northmen. So, here's to you, Ninja Assassin Wizard. Blazing a trail with an army of undead in the vanguard.

This is my favourite personal moment in BM. Jaeger was an experiment that was wildly successful. And he was also the motivation for the new character that was brought up to BT. ;)

I miss my undead and monstrous armies. :( I also miss harming nobles, stabbing nobles, healing kings, ruining units, and generally being a nuisance to the non-Thalmar. Soon....mmmyessssss....

Eirikr

« Reply #9: June 30, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
This moment is only so great as the side you were on, but it was a pretty big event (diluted in final effect by the ice that came after):

Lyonesse had just decided to join the fight against Darka because of a series of miscommunications (and other factors from both sides, I'm sure). We (Lyonesse) had just finally started getting ourselves together after the initial losses and had developed a pretty good plan to keep ourselves defended, using Hawthorne as basically a forward fortress... We'd sit there, jump out for a hit, jump back in if we lost or detected a big threat. Loaded Hawthorne up with militia to make a direct assault completely unfeasible.

First time we gave it a shot, we jumped out to try and stop a Darkan TO... lost the battle because we didn't quite have enough forces by the last day we had to interrupt it (figured we'd try anyway since we could still stop the TO if we lost well enough). Tried to retreat back to Hawthorne and the newly appointed Duke (no more than a few days in his seat) swapped it over to Darka. Retreated right back into all that militia and a Darkan force that was ready for the flip.

Now of course, I got injured when I essentially assaulted the city, not bothering to check a few hours before turn change (others got orders not to go there)... Before my character woke up (five days later), I assumed someone had sent an infil into the city for me. Completely blindsided by the city flip.

I guarantee that it would have been on this list before I got to posting it if the full effects had time to manifest.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 02, 2014, 03:33:13 AM »
Rubber Ducky. And the EC newspaper wars. Honestly the whole last days of Oligarch I still see in a kind of halcyon.

I also had a real blast in Irombrozia. Irombrozia's many dying generals, frequent alliance changes, and to me, surprisingly long survival. And of course the chance to troll Anaris is always worth it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 02, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »
I remember those days on BT. That was when I had my first ruler character, right next to you guys in Irombrozia. That was a blast.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 02, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »
I remember those days on BT. That was when I had my first ruler character, right next to you guys in Irombrozia. That was a blast.

You were in that deeply frustrating little Luz de Bia secession in Eno weren't you? Gosh I would get so pissed at y'all. I kept trying to find new combinations of political alignments that might just coax one of the various secessions in the area to come around and align against Rio. Bah. Rio is a festering plague that just won't go away.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 02, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
I arrived on BT the turn after Eno seceded, knowing nothing about it until after I arrived and joined. I elected myself judge under the old election system, then a few weeks later became ruler.  Those were some crazy times, allied to Iro one day, fighting them the next. Fending off sporadic attacks from Enweil.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 07, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
Ay, good moments and memories....strangely, the best I had took place on Beluaterra:

During the first and second age, when Rio was reduced to one city, finally gained a peace, retook territory, then the first invasion started. Rio held and held, there were 8-10 fanatically loyal nobles in our realm then. However, Rio fell right at the end of the invasion...by a hair. We then went into exile to Fronen, fought for them for some months, then returned south well equipped with gold and troops. All but one or two of those who marched north after Rios fall did return south. Rio was recreated, then held against Luz de Bia, first retaking their lands, then fighting a sharp war shortly after recreating the realm. Heady times indeed. I remember us all having a lot of fun, times were tense but the army was extremely dependable and tricky. The group of players was really extraordinary....lots of ideas and enthusiasm.

The other very worthwhile time was during the last invasion....first being part of forging an alliance to aid Enweil, then fighting umpteen battles on their behalf....we did kill a load of daimons, nearly managed to save Enweil, at the end had our whole army (no troops left for homedefense, none at all) marching for Enweils capital which was threatened by daimons....did arrive one halfday too late, still decide to attack, did not manage to beat the daimons. If we'd been one halfday earlier we'd have managed, defending their capitals walls jointly with Enweil. That was a huge disappointent....which was capped by Chenier accusing us of doing it on purpose. Go figure. Then, once Enweil fell, with Rio cut off in the south the siege mentality was great as well....we fought back and forth against the daimons, the dark walls closing in all the time, hope seemed lost, yet we marched an army from Grehk to near Fheuvenehm to hunt daimons....then right back again since the daimons attacked our very northern tip from the darkness. Longest march of a cohesive army that I know about. Then actually surviving the invasion...that was a blast.

All in all I had lots of fun with Rio - both politically, being in part responsible for its 'interior design', all our laws...which I actually think are the reason Rio has been so resilent over the ages. Then, lots of fun being its general in several different occasions, mostly starting when things looked bleak, mostly being able to turn things around....hugely satisfying. Again, no other game gave me such moments.

So three cheers for BM!