Author Topic: Sea travel on east island?  (Read 4034 times)

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
Sea travel on east island?
« Topic Start: June 29, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
Hey,

Just wondering if sea travel was an option on east island. I started playing just pre glacier, so I'm not entirely certain if it ever was working there or if the glacier mucked up the sea zones somehow.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Sea travel on east island?
« Reply #1: June 29, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
No, sea travel is testing-islands only at the moment.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 29, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
Ok. For some reason I had thought it was fully implemented. Good to know I'm just crazy.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #3: July 04, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
IMHO, migration of new features to stable ought to happen a little quicker than it does

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 04, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »
IMHO, migration of new features to stable ought to happen a little quicker than it does

Sea travel is not like most features. We can't just flip a switch and have it activate on stable like we usually can—all the sea zones need to be carefully hand-drawn and the data for them entered into the database.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 04, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
Coding takes a ton of time and work. It really is exhausting, and half the time once you have written the code it responds or implements itself in really weird ways, ways that you never intended it to, and have no idea why it did what it did. Consider again that this is such a monumental effort for something no-one involved is getting paid for on a regular basis and the wait times are understandable.

Took a few comsci courses in high school and uni, decided it was way too much work required of you that would ultimately be taken for granted by everyone else.

Anyways, the point of this was that I had thought I had seen the option to travel by sea with one of my chars on EI when I had just started them, had even talked with other members of the realm about the potential of sea travel to help us in our war, which were rebuffed not because it wasn't implemented, but because they weren't feasible. But later when I went to check on the possibility of another sea route the option wasn't there, making me seriously question my sanity.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: July 04, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
Thanks, I've been a professional programmer for around 17 years & have some idea of these things ;-)

I was speaking of more than just sea routes - "fame" is a small example - but that's prolly a topic for a different thread

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 05, 2014, 04:14:06 AM »
Kind of helps along my point though. I too would wish that some of the newer coding is implemented faster, but realize the complications, have no way to help with them, and so shut my mouth about them.

If you have the ability to, why not proffer your skills to aid the faster implementation of the code that you would want implemented?

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 09, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
There are some sea routes on EC, like to get to the OI islands and I think there was one between Isadril and Hamadan before it got iced over so maybe those are what got you confused?

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 09, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Maybe, it was a while ago. The problem is my mind is swearing to me that I read something along the lines of ''embark on a ship? embarking with your current entourage will take xx gold and xx hours to do so''. Clearly my mind is trying to plot against me.