Author Topic: Improved World News  (Read 1387 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Improved World News
« Topic Start: June 30, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
Title: Improved World News
Summary: Expand the World News for each world to be more accessible and to include more world events.

Details: Currently World News (http://battlemaster.org/testing/worldnews.php) contains about 2 months worth of history and only includes the following events:
  • Huge Battle Fought
  • Government Reformed
  • Rumours of a Miracle
  • Public Execution
  • Rebellion
I propose two changes.
Change 1: add additional events:
  • Change of seasons
  • City and Stronghold change of ownership
  • Federation or War declarations
  • Tournament declared/tournament results
  • Duchy Allegiance changes
  • Founding of new Realm
Change 2: Increased accessibility to world news.
Currently you can only read the world news for the island you have characters on. The new dynamic maps allows players to see the maps for all islands, the world news pages should be changed to also be accessible regardless of whether you have a character on that island. links to the world news for each island could then be added to the information side bar section as well as to the character creation screen section where players choose which island they want a character on.
Not sure if it's possible to give access to this to people not logged in as a RSS feed? Could be added to email reminders to people who are inactive?

Benefits:
Change 1 benefits - The Current world news doesn't help give players a good idea of what is happening on a continent as it doesn't include many important events.
Change 2 benefits -  At character creation, being able to read the world news for each island would help players make informed choices of where they want to have a character. Being able to follow events on other islands could help players decide to start characters on those islands as well.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: None that I can think of. The information added is already (as far as I know) accessible to anyone with a character on that island.