Author Topic: The Defection of Ravier Nebehn  (Read 2515 times)

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
The Defection of Ravier Nebehn
« Topic Start: July 04, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »
The scribe finished the last words. "In Memory". The letters were then signed and sealed, dispatched to all of Ravier's former subjects in his now-former position as the Duke of the Western Moors. He had been thinking for a long time since his lands were lost, and dwelt much on the cause of it. And it always came back to one singular word which caused him to feel like spitting venom.

Perdan.

Their ruthless pursuit of power had lead to the sacrifice of his lands as a shield. Atop his castle, his lands burned as the combined forces of Fallangard and Westmoor tried to resist the siege, but they could not. Then began assassination attempts against the royalty of Sirion and Eponllyn, and with that Ravier could hold back no more. He decreed such acts to be dishonorable, and commanded them to stop immediately. If there was to be any fighting, it would be in honorable combat upon the walls or the duelling grounds.

Even after he issued that edict, it was ignored by the King of Perdan's brother as he struck at the King of Eponllyn and was caught. And it was then that his mind was made up. Up until this point he was praying he was wrong, that he was misguided. But it was not so. Thankfully, he had already tested the waters and written to King Garin, expressing his sorrow at the state of affairs in the Southern Alliance and wishing to be free, no longer a puppet. The Queen of Nivemus also wrote him, expressing her own sorrow in not visiting the Ducal Castle before the siege began in order to take in Westmoorian culture.

It seemed that these so-called "enemies" could be reasonable, logical and above all else, honorable. They would take in the fallen Duke, make him one of their own and with open arms. And it was so on this night that the letter of his departure and defection was sent, a missive which took aim at Perdan and encouraged any of his former subjects to take up arms against them, to seek vengeance. He certainly was going to do so.

Before he set out on his travels to Hagley, Ravier stopped at the mausoleum holding the honored dead of his order, those who had died in the defense of what they believed in. He sighed, pulling a black cloak around himself and lowering the hood, bowing his head. "You will not have died in vain, my friends. Though I may be aging and one day I may join this crypt, I will not do so before I manage to exact vengeance."

Ravier left, pulling the hood up and taking a retinue of his closest followers out of the city and into the lands. They began the journey to Hagley - by the time that his former comrades would have read his letter, he would be long gone. Though, it would turn out, his journey would not be so simple after all.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Defection of Ravier Nebehn
« Reply #1: July 04, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
A sad end to Westmoor

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 04, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Shouldn't you have posted that roleplay in realm/in-game?

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 04, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
I am posting it here as well because not everyone will be able to see all three parts I have planned out in-game. So anyone who wants to read it can.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 04, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
The Defection of Ravier Nebehn - Part 2

The entourage arrived in Hagley and surveyed the scene laid out before them.

It was general anarchy. In the time they had spent on the road, avoiding any last patrols and staying at inns, the region had thrown off the yoke of Eponllyn and become a renegade region. This was initially the region where Ravier had intended to declare his change of allegiance, however now the rogues were in charge there was absolutely no way it could happen. And worse, if they saw a noble of his stature, he would be captured and thrown in a hovel with his gold taken for general drunkenness and debauchery.

He clutched the various letters he had been sent while he was lodging along the road. One from the Chief Justice of his soon-to-be home naming two others who could be sympathetic to the cause. Two others from the King and one of his former comrades, the former beseeching him to keep Westmoor's secrets buried. As he replied - it would be hypocritical to talk of honor, and then turn into a common spy and spill any secret he was charged with. It was issue enough he was taking this long, lonely path, he did not want nor need any further issue from divulging privileged communiques.

The current situation was more pressing, though. Under the cover of darkness, the former Duke and his advisors pulled out a map and planned their route. In hindsight, they should have moved to Bruck and then to Oligarch instead of hoping Hagley would remain the safest option - that way Ravier would be able to raise an army quickly to return and "liberate" Westmoor City. But now they were in the thick of it, and plans needed to be adaptable.

It was decided they would move on quickly to Greatbridge, the oft-contentious region which had seen many a war been fought over it, and it had changed hands many times. With haste they went on the road again, taking great care to avoid the eventual brigands which would plague the roads of a region that declared itself "independent".

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 05, 2014, 12:31:25 AM »
The Defection of Ravier Nebehn - Part 3

As the sun set once more, the entourage of Ravier stood on a hill overlooking Greatbridge. They sighed with relief, though the end was not yet in sight. They would still need to arrive in the center itself and make sure they were still welcome. Though by the letters he had been given, it seemed they still were.

Approaching the main settlement, a guard blocked the way. "Hold. What is your business?"
"I am Ravier, Patriarch of House Nebehn. I am expected in your lands in order to swear fealty and serve the realm."

The guard turned his nose up at the foreign noble and waved him in. Ravier, his healers and his scouts moved in, surveying the situation. From their combined experience, they knew that the region was under the control of Lady Myrnia Bowker, and had heard rumor of two other units being stationed there at the present time.

"Find any other members of the nobility. Make sure they are aware I am here and our intent, though I suspect they know that already." he dismissed his heralds, who scurried off to find said nobles. He then turned to the scribes. "Based on the letter from the Chief Justice, dispatch a missive to Lord Justice Gregor at once. Lord General Cross is unfortunately long-dead, but the Lord Justice of Westmoor may also join us, especially as his daughter is here in this realm too."

And with that, it was done.