Author Topic: SF and Marshal settings  (Read 1747 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
SF and Marshal settings
« Topic Start: July 02, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
It seems all SF are being treated like infantry.
I brought this up as a bug a while ago, but it was misunderstood and dropped before I could respond.
Ranged SF are being treated as infantry by marshals.  So my 5 range SF are being placed with infantry.  This make them much less effective.
Can this be changed? 

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: SF and Marshal settings
« Reply #1: July 02, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
It seems all SF are being treated like infantry.
I brought this up as a bug a while ago, but it was misunderstood and dropped before I could respond.
Ranged SF are being treated as infantry by marshals.  So my 5 range SF are being placed with infantry.  This make them much less effective.
Can this be changed?
You will need more basis than the last battle you were in because the settings were Fortification Defense, which has both infantry and archers at the frontline.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Harumune

« Reply #2: July 02, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Here's a theory that I *think* is right. SF follow individual commander settings and not marshal settings. Therefore, despite the used setting the SF will be placed where their individual commander places them.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 03, 2014, 06:17:02 AM »
If they're the attackers, having the ranged SF at the front would technically be more effective, as they're closer to the enemy and will do more damage. If they're the Defenders behind fortifications, then, yeah, it would reduce the number of turns they can fire for.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 03, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »
Thank you to the responces, here are some comments or clarifications:
With range 5 SF, I NEVER have them placed further forward than back.  So no it was not my setting. 
This is also not the first time this happened, like I mentioned I reported it as a bug before and it was dismissed. 
It is not more effective to have the men in the front where all the range 3 and 4 archers can reach them and kill them before they have a chance to fire more than two rounds. 

I would like to know how they are treated in the code. if they are supposed to be placed with archers, then I will pay more attention to future battles (as it may be that all the battles I have noticed it in are fortification defence) and then if I see them with infantry when they should not be I will report a bug.