Author Topic: Huge lose of believers due to weekly Temples and Shrines Upkeep  (Read 4574 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Please do not use bold/underline for nearly your entire post. Not only is it unnecessary and obnoxious, it also makes the emphasis completely useless. If you emphasize everything, then you emphasize nothing. (Also, all that formatting is stripped out when using the mobile view for the forum, so I almost never see it anyway.)

To start with, I never knew about the global treasury and losing followers until Anaris mentioned it a couple days ago. Doesn't necessarily seem like a bad idea. I can see how it could be annoying for shrines. But I generally considered shrines to be worthless already. They suck up gold to build and maintain, cost too much to tear down, and now I understand that they can even cause problems with followers when they don't get funded properly. Sounds like a lose-lose-lose proposition.

Funding shrines from the a treasury seems like the wrong way to handle them. Shrines are not just mini-temples. They are a fundamentally different thing, and should not be treated as just mini-temples.

However, perhaps there should be two changes to shrines:

1) Some changes to calculations for how shrines generate funds. So long as there are sufficient followers in a region, they should be self-maintaining.

2) If for some reason there aren't enough local donations to fund shrines in a region, then they should just disappear. Obviously the locals don't want them, and nobles don't really care about them. Not enough donations? Gone!

BTW: There is no such thing as a "level 4 shrine". Shrines are not like temples. You don't improve existing shrines, you build more. So you don't have a level 4 shrine. You have four separate shrines, each one being a tiny little stop for travelers. There is absolutely no comparison between four shrines, and a formal temple.

But in any case, shrines are intentionally not as effective as a temple. They are also not a replacement for temples. Without a temple to support you, and with competition from a dominant religion in the area, you are almost certainly not going to be able to break in using your current tactics.

So maybe it's time to change your tactics. Apparently the local religion in the area is strong enough that you're not going to be able to break in. Just because you're willing to stay in the region and preach for 3 months straight doesn't mean that you should be guaranteed success. Stop banging your head against the wall, and move on already.

Try converting the regions around this one, and build your shrines/temples there. That may allow your followers to migrate into the area. Get your religion to declare the other one as evil. This will slow the conversion of your followers to their religion, and allow your followers to beat up their priests. It will also allow you to incite your followers to attack their followers. You can also get some nobles of your faith to attack and loot the offending temple.

In the end, no, I don't believe that just because you are willing to spend unlimited amount of time preaching in a region that you have the right to expect that you will convert everyone. Especially if there is a dominant religion already in the area, and apparently well-entrenched. Just like I don't expect you to be able to continually assault level 5 walls with 10 men over and over again and expect that you should be able to eventually win,  because, hey, not winning is frustrating.

Your tactics aren't working. Time to do something else.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.