Author Topic: Keeping Busy and Moving Up  (Read 1386 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Keeping Busy and Moving Up
« Topic Start: July 19, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
This thread was inspired by two other threads. One thread was all about trying to find something for the lowly knight to do in times of peace and another was regarding how new characters in peaceful realms can gain H/P. I kind of think the two pieces belong together. So this thread is all about brainstorming ideas. What can knights do in times of peace? How can characters gain H/P in a peaceful realm?

My Ideas so Far:

What did real knights do in times of peace?
* They trained in the use of weapons/armor/horsemanship/war.
* They hunted.
* They attended tournaments.
* They ensured their troops where trained, equipped and ready for battle.
* They oversaw their fief and ensured it was in order and profitable.
* They played games like chess and backgammon.

Self Training:
* We already have the academy in BM but training via the Academy is not always convenient, especially for new characters that lack resources.
    * Allow knights to construct a training field on their estate that allows for free training but with lower results than one would gain at the academy.
    * Allow knights to hire a new kind of paraphernalia called the Trainer of Skill. Trainers are paid like healers. Now knights can rain as they move about the kingdom, for no additional cost but at decreased efficiency.

Hunting:
* Perhaps a hunting mini-game could be added in and successful hunts garner H/P?

Tournaments:
* Get more of them. I already submitted a few ideas to make these happen more frequently in the Feature Requests forum.

Troop Training:
* We already have everything I can think of for this. Perhaps Honor or Prestige rewards for maintaining stats at a certain level?

Estate Maintenance:
* Allow the construction of buildings/equipment and the like on an estate.
* Have certain estate enhancements grant H/P bonus.
* Allow knights to perform limited bureaucratic work within their own region only at reduced efficiency when compared to Courtiers?
* Allow knights to invest in their estate?

Board Games:
* Allow players to challenge and play a game (chess for example) with each other.
    * Players do not actually play the games (Thus a character can be a master player even if the player knows nothing of the game)
    * Players agree to play each other then select a strategy from a pre-generated list.
    * Leadership is used for playing these games and one can earn leadership by playing.
    * The list of strategies grow as your leadership skill grows
    * Certain strategies have an advantage over other strategies
    * The highest LEADERSHIP+STRATEGY_BONUS_OR_PENALTY+RANDOM_ELEMENT wins
* Allow challenge matches between nobles and include an ELO ranking system
* Grant Honor or Prestige rewards for wining against tough opponents or reaching certain ranks.

Let the ideas pour in!