Author Topic: Of Griffins and Wyverns  (Read 8552 times)

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Re: Of Griffins and Wyverns
« Reply #15: July 23, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »
Well Church of Humanity is on three continents already. Why aren't you complaining about them?

What is the Church of Humanity anyway? Do they like... praise humans?

Also I'd like to see more rp in battles from Sandalak about their faith. It'd be a nice way to get to know it.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 23, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »
What is the Church of Humanity anyway? Do they like... praise humans?
It was formed way back when at the dawn of game-mechanics religions in Perdan. It was a state non-religion implemented to inoculate Perdan regions against the Church of Ibladesh and Fontan's Flow of the Balance. It was invented by the player of the Uceek family, although it was actually founded by someone else. CoH's tenets were written to make it mostly a chivalric order. They didn't really worship anything.

A few years later, Jor Tanos eventually got hold of the leadership of the church, and changed it a LOT. It is now a monotheistic religion that worships "the Divine". The only thing it shares with the original church is the name. They expanded over to FEI and BT. In BT they are mostly limited to Old Grehk. On FEI they were in Kindara for a while, but I haven't heard of anything from them lately at all. Are they even still there?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 23, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
It was formed way back when at the dawn of game-mechanics religions in Perdan. It was a state non-religion implemented to inoculate Perdan regions against the Church of Ibladesh and Fontan's Flow of the Balance. It was invented by the player of the Uceek family, although it was actually founded by someone else. CoH's tenets were written to make it mostly a chivalric order. They didn't really worship anything.

A few years later, Jor Tanos eventually got hold of the leadership of the church, and changed it a LOT. It is now a monotheistic religion that worships "the Divine". The only thing it shares with the original church is the name. They expanded over to FEI and BT. In BT they are mostly limited to Old Grehk. On FEI they were in Kindara for a while, but I haven't heard of anything from them lately at all. Are they even still there?

Yeah, we are. Still have temples in Azros, Taop, Zonasa.. quite a few regions that have remained untouched by the glacier. Malos is still the founder and head priest of that faith though in recent times I've been focusing more on my other characters. Recently he declared the Commander, Moses to be a heretic given that said heretic openly said that Malos was preaching lies and the Divine wasn't real. Moses then went inactive this week. Maybe he got struck down? :P That's about it for FEI so far, though with two Lv4 temples in a couple of regions they could be used for something interesting...

That said, with Ravier's departure from the EC CoH, I've been working on a concept for a religion. I'd just need a region to establish it at this point. As for the BT CoH... to my knowledge it's silent. In fact, all three branches have been quiet. The FEI one certainly has and that's more my fault.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:18:33 PM by Ravier Nebehn »

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 23, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »
I also feel like each island should have it's own distinct style and vibe, and the crossover of some people who are too lazy to create something new and just force a religion from another island onto a (in this case) brand new realm that had a million options before it, really does destroy the religion aspect. It's lazy, boring, and frankly rather sad.

I get that this is your perspective and you are not alone in having it, but the myopia here is tremendous. You want to be free to have your own unique experience on each island, but don't seem to feel the freedom of your fellow players to have the same freedom? That I find incredibly sad.

Stop trying to control how other people want to play there characters and families. Feel free to make your experiences on each island unique, but recognize that other people feel differently than you do, and respect their right to make a CHOICE that is different than yours.

Calling players who make a choice to play their family AS A FAMILY is not lazy nor even unusual.

I think the BM world benefits greatly from the interwoven fabric of its great families and great religions trying to spread their names throughout the world and into history. And I don't think it in anyway impedes the creation and evolution of new families and new religions to exist ALONGSIDE them.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 24, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »
Your opinion is duly noted Qyasogk. It still doesn't change my stance on things.

I feel that there should be no overlap between islands when it comes to religion, plain and simple. That has nothing to do with limiting how people play their characters. All it does is limit the spread of a religion that is founded on one island to another, which in my opinion is against the spirit of even having distinct realms.

I imagine Sanguis Astroism and it's beliefs being relocated to say, EI or SI, and the idea of it makes me ill. Maybe if a religion were to entirely take over one island with no competition whatsoever, then I would be more accepting of it spreading outside of it's physical boundaries (being the island itself).

Just taking the ideas that someone else put together ages ago and trying to apply that to a brand new realm on a recently resurfaced island: lazy.

(this is entirely my opinion, and if it bothers people: I don't care. The religion aspect of battlemaster is one of my absolute least favourite features in the entire game. In all of my years of playing BM, I have only had two good experiences with the religion game. Otherwise, it is just another tool for popularity contests: which we already have ample amounts of.)