Author Topic: Of Griffins and Wyverns  (Read 8535 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Of Griffins and Wyverns
« Topic Start: July 22, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
I don't mean to open a can of works, but as a newcommer to Sandalak, has any substance been thought of for this religion?

Also, can religions be founded in the traditional means on the South Island? Is there any intent to do so?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Of Griffins and Wyverns
« Reply #1: July 22, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
Also, can religions be founded in the traditional means on the South Island? Is there any intent to do so?

Yes, but they can have no effect on the war. (Effectively, all priest abilities save preaching are disabled.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 22, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Yes, but they can have no effect on the war. (Effectively, all priest abilities save preaching are disabled.)

Could the "no priest = total implosion" mechanic be removed, then? Priest sounds a pretty useless class.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 22, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
I don't mean to open a can of works, but as a newcommer to Sandalak, has any substance been thought of for this religion?

It's animal-spirit based. Wyvern and Griffin are the symbols of the realm but you can worship other animals if you wish. As long as it's animal-themed it's fine.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 22, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
There are some vague hints, but nothing too concrete. No one has really been all that interested in fleshing it out as a full-bore religion. We're all too busy shredding the other realms.

The Wyvern and Griffin theology is something like this:

The theology is basically animal totems. The Wyvern and Griffin are the two major war gods, but anyone is free to create whatever animal totem they want. One guy was obsessed with ducks, and he worshiped the Midnight Mallard. (He eventually decided that he didn't like everyone making fun of his Midnight Mallard, and went to Taselak.) The Wyvern and Griffin were the gods of the two smaller groups that merged to form Sandalak. The Wyvern is the desert war god, and the Griffin is the tundra war god.

When Kurlock was elected ruler, he had already accepted a death duel challenge. He lost and was killed, but was resurrected by newbie protection. He was immediately proclaimed to have been resurrected by the Wyvern, and titled himself the Wyvern Incarnate. He is the god king of Sandalak, sometimes referred to as Immortal Kurlock, or some other god/immortal moniker.  Elaine was killed/resurrected a day or two later, and has dubbed herself the Griffin incarnate, or something. She's certifiably insane, though, and everyone mostly ignores her.

Oh, and the Sartanians in Sandalak have decided that the Wyvern is really just the local name for Sartan. Thankfully, everyone ignores them.

Beyond that, no one has developed any serious theology. A couple people have expressed some interest in doing more with it. Just be prepared, though, that a lot of people in the realm really don't want to have to put up with anything that distracts from the war game. The traditional use of religion as an alternate power structure to the main realm will go over like a lead balloon.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 22, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
The Sartanists needs to just accept that Sartan does not have a place on SI. It's ridiculous to try and force it everywhere, and it seriously destroys the entire religion aspect of the game for me.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 22, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
The Sartanists needs to just accept that Sartan does not have a place on SI. It's ridiculous to try and force it everywhere, and it seriously destroys the entire religion aspect of the game for me.

I've never been a part of Sartanism, nor interacted with it as far as I know, but I tend to prefer imports of existing religions with a history and content than the making up of a random hollow "faith".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 22, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
Personally, my preference is that each island have its own unique atmosphere. I don't want to play "Sartanism vs The Order of Elders" on BT or SI any more than I want to play "Sirion vs. Perdan" on FEI or AT.

Once upon a time, Sartanism was "a random hollow "faith"." until someone put some time and effort into it. If you don't let people come up with and try out new things, then we'll just keep telling the same old story, over and over again.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 22, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »

Well Church of Humanity is on three continents already. Why aren't you complaining about them?

And, as far as I can tell, the Sartanist characters have accepted that Sartan is not going to be widespread on SI. They tried to import their faith with them and failed. They're living with it by coming up with an interpretation to still give their characters a reason to stay in SI.

How does it destroy the religion aspect of the game for you that this specific religion is trying to go intercontinental? Please explain because I really don't understand how it can possibly harm your experience of playing the game unless you have a massive sense of entitlement coupled with tremendous over-sensitivity.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 22, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
Personally, my preference is that each island have its own unique atmosphere. I don't want to play "Sartanism vs The Order of Elders" on BT or SI any more than I want to play "Sirion vs. Perdan" on FEI or AT.

Once upon a time, Sartanism was "a random hollow "faith"." until someone put some time and effort into it. If you don't let people come up with and try out new things, then we'll just keep telling the same old story, over and over again.

That's fair enough and I can understand that viewpoint. What I don't understand is attitudes like woelfy's :/

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 22, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
I like the kind of 'spirit animal' religious cornucopia Sandalak has. Fits pretty well for the Insatiable Snake, too.

random hollow "faith".

But...the hollow part is where all the best creative juices come from!
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 22, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »
I like the kind of 'spirit animal' religious cornucopia Sandalak has. Fits pretty well for the Insatiable Snake, too.

But...the hollow part is where all the best creative juices come from!

My experience is that those religions created as hollow hulls usually forever remain as hollow hulls. Especially if they were created for the sole purpose of existing, namely the case for state religions that were just there to keep foreign state religions out.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 23, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
My experience is that those religions created as hollow hulls usually forever remain as hollow hulls. Especially if they were created for the sole purpose of existing, namely the case for state religions that were just there to keep foreign state religions out.

And my experience is that many of the well fleshed out and planned religions end up being the short lived plaything of their creator(s) whom will accept no deviation from their plan. Thankfully in both cases the minority lead to something worthwhile.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 23, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »
Well Church of Humanity is on three continents already. Why aren't you complaining about them?

If I knew CoH was on three continents, I could have used that example just as easily.

+1 to Indirik's post.
I also feel like each island should have it's own distinct style and vibe, and the crossover of some people who are too lazy to create something new and just force a religion from another island onto a (in this case) brand new realm that had a million options before it, really does destroy the religion aspect. It's lazy, boring, and frankly rather sad.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 23, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »
If I knew CoH was on three continents, I could have used that example just as easily.

+1 to Indirik's post.
I also feel like each island should have it's own distinct style and vibe, and the crossover of some people who are too lazy to create something new and just force a religion from another island onto a (in this case) brand new realm that had a million options before it, really does destroy the religion aspect. It's lazy, boring, and frankly rather sad.

Its generally not laziness. There seems to be a competition to have the first religion that is properly established on all islands.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.