Author Topic: Just end the war with Perdan.  (Read 17765 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Just end the war with Perdan.
« Topic Start: July 28, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
If you take over responsibility for a realm from the people or groups that previously held that responsibility, that means you inherit responsibility for their decisions, whether you agreed with them or not.

You do get the opportunity to try to convince the world that you are not, in fact, enough like them that you should be considered the same realm, but that is—and should be—an uphill battle.

If the issue is that the previous King was foul-mouthed and outspoken in his personal hatred of certain other rulers or realms, you've got a decent chance of persuading people that you're going to be different.

If, on the other hand, your realm has, for many years and through multiple rulers, adopted policies and made statements favouring the destruction of a certain realm for deeply-seated cultural reasons, there's very little chance you'll be able to get them to see you as different.

And, after all, unless you've also uprooted that underlying culture, you probably aren't.

In Perdan's case, yeah, a bunch of the Old Guard left. But it's still a very long way from a hostile takeover by a rival internal faction, and I've seen those be treated with deep skepticism even on Beluaterra, which tends to be a much more dynamic continent. On the EC...yeah, no. You're Perdan; you better get used to the political positions Perdan has held for the past decade, because they'll take a loooong time to get yourselves out from under.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan