Author Topic: Just end the war with Perdan.  (Read 17743 times)

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Just end the war with Perdan.
« Reply #30: August 02, 2014, 07:41:24 AM »
There are some families that often end up on both sides of a conflict, and whom have established enough trust that most would not think they are spying. Besides is that their character thinking, or paranoid players.

So much this. It's a player reaction brought into character actions, and it's one of the little things that work to suck the fun out of the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 02, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
It's not paranoia if it's true. It has happened, and will continue to happen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #32: August 03, 2014, 12:32:21 AM »
The reason I've never enjoyed or felt it was "right" to be on both sides of a war is that you simply can't "un-know" what your other character knows and reads.

I've seen some players who let their one char walk into a massacre and be captured even though the player surely knew what was coming, but I think more often they'll "arrange things" to avoid that. There's always plenty of decisions each turn, and easy to take one that won't be terrible for you without actually looking like power-gaming.

That's not what anyone would call spying, but it's not a good thing, IMHO, and it lessens the enjoyment for the player as well. Certainly if I had one char in a position of power in the war, I would make my other char at least stand down and be a courtier or priest or something.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 03, 2014, 02:23:36 AM »
On a more relevant note in regards to Bescannon: Ha!
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 03, 2014, 03:51:52 AM »
The reason I've never enjoyed or felt it was "right" to be on both sides of a war is that you simply can't "un-know" what your other character knows and reads.

I've seen some players who let their one char walk into a massacre and be captured even though the player surely knew what was coming, but I think more often they'll "arrange things" to avoid that. There's always plenty of decisions each turn, and easy to take one that won't be terrible for you without actually looking like power-gaming.

That's not what anyone would call spying, but it's not a good thing, IMHO, and it lessens the enjoyment for the player as well. Certainly if I had one char in a position of power in the war, I would make my other char at least stand down and be a courtier or priest or something.

It depends on what the player's objectives are. Sometimes, two characters can fight on different sides while still pursuing the same objectives. Wars aren't always an ends in themselves, and there isn't always a reason to favor one side over the other.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 03, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
It depends on what the player's objectives are. Sometimes, two characters can fight on different sides while still pursuing the same objectives. Wars aren't always an ends in themselves, and there isn't always a reason to favor one side over the other.

I find myself agreeing with this. The world must be coming to an end.

It's not paranoia if it's true. It has happened, and will continue to happen.

It can be. Paranoia revolves around the intensity and reasonable nature of the fear. If something proves true, but you were in a historical fear on very little substantial evidence, that is still paranoia. People have multi cheated as well, but if we approach every single successful player with good support as a multi where would that get us? We talk endlessly in other threads that people must accept loss, yet loss due to spying is so terrible that we must accuse anyone playing in a perfectly reasonable way of being a spy? If so change the system, either allow only 1 character per continent or force all characters into the same realm. If I play in two friendly realms which then have a falling out and go to war am I supposed to move one of my characters just because people feel spying is too dangerous.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #36: August 03, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »
I really hope eventually one character per continent restriction transfers over to all continents.

I really liked Dwilight for that. But being on the both sides making your characters hate each other does have its charm.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 08, 2014, 02:11:58 AM »
I would just like to make it clear that I did have several characters in different realms on different continents, so it wasn't me being too involved in one realm. I mean, how could that even be? I'd been in the realm for only a short time.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 08, 2014, 02:25:30 AM »
On a more relevant note in regards to Bescannon: Ha!
Good battles. So the war continues...

I would just like to make it clear that I did have several characters in different realms on different continents, so it wasn't me being too involved in one realm. I mean, how could that even be? I'd been in the realm for only a short time.
I think they talking about those characters that have only character in a single realm, not you. Do not take into heart everything they said ;)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: August 08, 2014, 02:40:21 AM »
I think they talking about those characters that have only character in a single realm, not you. Do not take into heart everything they said ;)

No, they were talking about me, I'm Gustav.

Zakilevo

« Reply #40: August 08, 2014, 03:42:20 AM »
No, they were talking about me, I'm Gustav.

Thought you left? But you are still playing Tom's other game right? Where do you play?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: August 08, 2014, 03:47:28 AM »
Thought you left? But you are still playing Tom's other game right? Where do you play?

He is currently in command of the White Company within Hawks/Grand Fate. Not sure about his other characters, there is a character with the same family name running around Arimias.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: August 08, 2014, 03:57:36 AM »
He is currently in command of the White Company within Hawks/Grand Fate. Not sure about his other characters, there is a character with the same family name running around Arimias.

If you see the Ishida surname, that is me. I make it a habit to spread my characters out, so that if something happens to one, I have others that I can play. I've done this from the very beginning of when I started playing Battlemaster, some, what, 6-8 years ago at the minimum I believe. So when people start coming in and saying "this is why you shouldn't play just one realm"/"this is why you should spread your characters out", it gets kind of annoying...

But anyways, to answer your question, yes, I did leave, and am not planning on coming back to Battlemaster. I am, however, playing Might&Fealty. I don't plan on quitting that, since the community is helpful and welcoming. I have a character in the White Company, a character in Linthain Plains of Ariamis, and another character in Ascalon. I also have a fourth character that I will not reveal the location of, so that I have at least one where OOC preconceptions will not have any factor whatsoever as a fallback character.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: August 11, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

You know just as well as everyone else that Perdan is defeated. Once Sirion's armies return they will have too few soldiers to stop them.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 13, 2014, 05:28:31 AM »
You know just as well as everyone else that Perdan is defeated. Once Sirion's armies return they will have too few soldiers to stop them.
Time to sue for peace and rebuild. I believe there are proposals being drafted and sent out by now~~
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)