Author Topic: Just end the war with Perdan.  (Read 17568 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Just end the war with Perdan.
« Topic Start: July 28, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Please, just do it. Yes, some of our noble characters are being roleplayed as hot-headed, but the majority of us players just want it to end. While I'm on the side who agreed with the ban of a certain player who I won't mention here, as it will just lead to a flame war, the sudden loss of players as they paused/deleted their characters in protest has devastated the realm. We're barely able to put lords into regions, let alone fight a war. It isn't fun any more.

No, I'm not whining that we're losing, but when we start asking for terms and the first response we get is a letter that is basically telling us too go !@#$ off (my own interpretation, not the exact words), it is very disheartening to continue trying to rebuild the realm knowing that we're at the same time in a hopeless war against those who want to tear it down.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Just end the war with Perdan.
« Reply #1: July 28, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Sounds like Karma is pounding Perdan.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #2: July 28, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
Why not just play it out?

If you are tired of the war, immigrate to somewhere else.

I don't know if it is just the way it seems to me, but since coming back to this game I see more "OOC fix-its" than any time I can think of. You've still got 37 nobles - the second most on the island - so someone must be sticking around for some reason.

If it's no fun, jump on a boat. Otherwise - what is happening is happening. Play through it, like was always expected of you in the past.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 28, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
I have no IC sympathy for Perdan so I'd want to cover them in death and destruction, as payback for all the atrocities they have committed in the past against realms both small and big, still living or extinct. As for OOC stuff, well, the loss of those nobles is quite bad since they were the upper nobility I guess. You just need a strong leader to come up reverse the odds!
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: July 28, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I have no IC sympathy for Perdan so I'd want to cover them in death and destruction, as payback for all the atrocities they have committed in the past against realms both small and big, still living or extinct. As for OOC stuff, well, the loss of those nobles is quite bad since they were the upper nobility I guess. You just need a strong leader to come up reverse the odds!

I can bet you that many of these current noble either had no control over or were not here for those actions. Not to mention that since all the upper nobility are the ones that left, we still haven't replaced all of the lordships. Scio is one of those in which there is no lord.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:14:38 PM by Gustav Kuriga »

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 28, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
Do you understand that just because they are leaving, it does not change what their characters did in game until now, right!?

Perdan promised many times to destroy Sirion in the figure of at least 3 Kings. The OOC does not change IC history. Many people in Sirion wants to punish Perdan.

Perdan did it to itself and I doubt you will fix it OOC. When you ask for surrender you must handle the consequences, accept the terms or continue fighting. Sirion did it many times, with the difference that we won against our enemies instead of accept many shameful offers. Perdan always vowed to destroy Sirion and divide it among its allies, building colonies. I believe it's not so fun when it happens against yourself.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 28, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
If you take over responsibility for a realm from the people or groups that previously held that responsibility, that means you inherit responsibility for their decisions, whether you agreed with them or not.

You do get the opportunity to try to convince the world that you are not, in fact, enough like them that you should be considered the same realm, but that is—and should be—an uphill battle.

If the issue is that the previous King was foul-mouthed and outspoken in his personal hatred of certain other rulers or realms, you've got a decent chance of persuading people that you're going to be different.

If, on the other hand, your realm has, for many years and through multiple rulers, adopted policies and made statements favouring the destruction of a certain realm for deeply-seated cultural reasons, there's very little chance you'll be able to get them to see you as different.

And, after all, unless you've also uprooted that underlying culture, you probably aren't.

In Perdan's case, yeah, a bunch of the Old Guard left. But it's still a very long way from a hostile takeover by a rival internal faction, and I've seen those be treated with deep skepticism even on Beluaterra, which tends to be a much more dynamic continent. On the EC...yeah, no. You're Perdan; you better get used to the political positions Perdan has held for the past decade, because they'll take a loooong time to get yourselves out from under.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #7: July 28, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Well look at that, another player left. Fun times. Definitely for the health of the game.

I understand that you want to do your roleplaying and everything, but sometimes OOC considerations, like say, the health of the game, should outweigh IC ones. Once again, it isn't that we're losing that I'm saying something. It's that any and all attempts to negotiate a surrender are being refused. It isn't even a war anymore, it's just a !@#$ing curbstomp.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 28, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
It isn't even a war anymore, it's just a !@#$ing curbstomp.

In this entire war, which started in RL 4 months ago, this is the first time that Sirion and allies actually set foot in Perdan's lands. We've looted a bit, one region is being taken over, the TO not over yet.

The first attempt at a negotiated end was made a whopping 36 hours ago.

Aren't you overselling your case a little?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 28, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
It's that any and all attempts to negotiate a surrender are being refused.
This is wrong. Completely wrong. 1,000% wrong.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 29, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »
Well look at that, another player left. Fun times. Definitely for the health of the game.

I understand that you want to do your roleplaying and everything, but sometimes OOC considerations, like say, the health of the game, should outweigh IC ones. Once again, it isn't that we're losing that I'm saying something. It's that any and all attempts to negotiate a surrender are being refused. It isn't even a war anymore, it's just a !@#$ing curbstomp.

ANY realm death, or even just when a realm is doing badly leads to players leaving. What is so special about Perdan that it deserves special treatment that no other struggling realm in all the years of BM deserved? In a game that focuses on warfare, logically when people are losing a war you will have those that quit.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 29, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »
No, I'm not whining that we're losing, but when we start asking for terms and the first response we get is a letter that is basically telling us too go !@#$ off

I have seen letters to the contrary.

It isn't even a war anymore, it's just a !@#$ing curbstomp.

Uhh, we have had like one or two battles since it happened and now we are still taking over the first of your regions that we have got to. We aren't exactly rampaging through your regions burning them to the ground and chasing down your armies. Which is by the way what Perdan did to us :p

The nature of the game is that realms rise and fall in power and some realms die completely and it's not even certain Perdan will die. Too many players take it too personally and overreact that if their one favourite realm is threatened it's all over but keep playing and you never know what will happen in the future, there are plenty of avenues for revenge.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 29, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
Please, just do it. Yes, some of our noble characters are being roleplayed as hot-headed, but the majority of us players just want it to end. While I'm on the side who agreed with the ban of a certain player who I won't mention here, as it will just lead to a flame war, the sudden loss of players as they paused/deleted their characters in protest has devastated the realm. We're barely able to put lords into regions, let alone fight a war. It isn't fun any more.

No, I'm not whining that we're losing, but when we start asking for terms and the first response we get is a letter that is basically telling us too go !@#$ off (my own interpretation, not the exact words), it is very disheartening to continue trying to rebuild the realm knowing that we're at the same time in a hopeless war against those who want to tear it down.

You get what you give. How often did Perdan's players/(circle of friends of player you won't mention) give one iota about their enemy player's fun or easing up on a war or surrender terms? If you play a realm aggressively, expect that realm to be dealt with aggressively when it falls. Perdan isn't the first and it won't be the last.

As for the IC terms offered, I don't believe you were told to !@#$ off (even with leeway for your interpretation). You were told by a very old character that he's been betrayed by Perdan many many times before, so he's cautious about 'deals'. Therefore, sit in a city during the remainder of terms discussion instead of the realms you're surrendering to leaving your lands. I actually think that is rather novel - enemy armies literally sitting around a realm while terms are discussed and the surrendering realm remains garrisoned in the city.

It's that any and all attempts to negotiate a surrender are being refused.

Absolutely not true.

Why not just play it out?

If you are tired of the war, immigrate to somewhere else.

I don't know if it is just the way it seems to me, but since coming back to this game I see more "OOC fix-its" than any time I can think of. You've still got 37 nobles - the second most on the island - so someone must be sticking around for some reason.

If it's no fun, jump on a boat. Otherwise - what is happening is happening. Play through it, like was always expected of you in the past.

This. Completely. In every way. Vote with your feet. I used to stick in realms for roleplay reasons, but having learned to just move somewhere that looks fun instead of sticking around - I enjoy the game far more, even when I'm barely playing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:50:48 AM by Vita »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #13: July 29, 2014, 01:02:30 AM »
Ok. I've left. Have fun with that.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 29, 2014, 01:08:57 AM »
You get what you give. How often did Perdan's players/(circle of friends of player you won't mention) give one iota about their enemy player's fun or easing up on a war or surrender terms? If you play a realm aggressively, expect that realm to be dealt with aggressively when it falls. Perdan isn't the first and it won't be the last.

I'd go one step further here and say not just enemy players but allied players too as far as other people's fun. If you don't like what's happening, then you have numerous options. I didn't like the fall of Westmoor so I had my character defect (and he consequently died for his new realm), and that was fun to do. I didn't enjoy the fact that the Church of Humanity on EC had become a politicized faith with everything conducted behind closed doors. Nothing had been said in the public halls for quite some time, maybe even on the scale of months. So, I removed Ravier (and even then I was informed OOCly that people were glad he'd pissed off) and began working on the concept for a different faith.

In other words it comes down to "Don't like something? Do something!". From what I've seen, Lappy is trying to do just that and being decried by certain others for it.