Author Topic: The relentless monster hordes  (Read 5773 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The relentless monster hordes
« Topic Start: July 30, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
in the south, Monster hordes have finally overrun Candiels after attacking nearly every day and sometimes every turn. (though it still shows up as part of Fissoa ???) No huge battles reported at Tower Fatmilak so I'm guessing that is as far as the Monster Hordes will advance down south.

Takeover   (1 day, 4 hours ago)
message to Everyone on Dwilight
(rogue) has taken control of Candiels. The region used to belong to Fissoa.

In the north, the hordes have been attacking Mimer less frequently but still fairly often. Did the Theocracies awaken something in the depths to allow monsters to attack the eastern sub-continent?

Huge Battle Fought   (2014-07-30 06:17:30)
Rumours spread of a huge battle in Mimer:(rogue) vs. AstrumEstimated strengths: 30 men vs. 820 menDefender Victory!

Huge Battle Fought   (2014-07-29 18:20:43)
Rumours spread of a huge battle in Mimer:(rogue) vs. AstrumEstimated strengths: 70 men vs. 680 menDefender Victory!

Huge Battle Fought   (2014-07-26 06:24:18)
Rumours spread of a huge battle in Mimer:(rogue) vs. AstrumEstimated strengths: 70 men vs. 560 menDefender Victory!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:03:34 AM by Sypher »

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The relentless monster hordes
« Reply #1: July 30, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »
Is there a chance to reclaim lands lost to the monsters, or are they lost like regions covered by glaciers on other continents? Would be cool to form some sort of religious order dedicated to reclaiming the west.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 30, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
How'd they lose the city? I didn't see any reports of a defeat.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 30, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
There's no chance of reclaiming the regions, and probably won't be for a long-long time. West-Dwilight has the constantly respawning doomstacks of monsters on steroids, so even if you managed to do a takeover and get a region you would lose it eventually due to the never-ending waves of beasts.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 30, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
At best, Fissoa might be able to hold Candiels, and D'Hara Paisly, but only if they dedicate serious resources to it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 30, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Is there a chance to reclaim lands lost to the monsters, or are they lost like regions covered by glaciers on other continents? Would be cool to form some sort of religious order dedicated to reclaiming the west.
There is no game-mechanics rule that says "You can't TO these regions". It's not like the glaciers. However, the strength and number of monster hordes roaming the west makes any such endeavor extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Kind of in the same vein that it's not impossible to survive the failure of your parachute when jumping from 10,000 feet, but it's not very likely.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 30, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
Kind of in the same vein that it's not impossible to survive the failure of your parachute when jumping from 10,000 feet, but it's not very likely.

I think in both instances it depends on where you land.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 31, 2014, 03:05:47 AM »
How'd they lose the city? I didn't see any reports of a defeat.
Maybe the battles fell below the huge battle level before they lost to the monsters? The number of defenders had been shrinking.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 31, 2014, 07:25:55 AM »
We couldn't repair the walls in Candiels due to the constant attacks and it was down to level 3. This caused a serious drain on militia as well as gold and without any mobile support Candiels fell. The monsters haven't come farther east yet and for some reason we are still getting the TO messages and monster rampage reports every turn even after losing the city.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #9: July 31, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
We lost Candiels because there was a sudden, consistent, unannounced increase in monster attacks. We went from one battle a turn with about 6,000 CS of monsters vs. 11,000 CS of militia, to 100+  monsters attacking every single turn with over 15,000 CS. It was unsustainable, but then I imagine it was probably the result of a code tweak by developers who wanted this exact outcome.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 31, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
We lost Candiels because there was a sudden, consistent, unannounced increase in monster attacks. We went from one battle a turn with about 6,000 CS of monsters vs. 11,000 CS of militia, to 100+  monsters attacking every single turn with over 15,000 CS. It was unsustainable, but then I imagine it was probably the result of a code tweak by developers who wanted this exact outcome.

Even if they desired such an outcome, the code does not allow for such direction of rogue forces.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 31, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
The code determining the behavior of the monsters in the west of Dwilight was not changed after the first few weeks of the monster invasion. From what I can tell, your position in the very corner of the continent sheltered you from the hordes' movement until they hit a critical mass.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 06, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
The code determining the behavior of the monsters in the west of Dwilight was not changed after the first few weeks of the monster invasion. From what I can tell, your position in the very corner of the continent sheltered you from the hordes' movement until they hit a critical mass.

That must mean all or many regions in Western Dwi must have tens of thousands of rogue CS in them by now.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 06, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
That must mean all or many regions in Western Dwi must have tens of thousands of rogue CS in them by now.

That's not quite true.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 06, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »
There's no chance of reclaiming the regions, and probably won't be for a long-long time. West-Dwilight has the constantly respawning doomstacks of monsters on steroids, so even if you managed to do a takeover and get a region you would lose it eventually due to the never-ending waves of beasts.

From what I recall during Enoch's brief clairvoyance, the monsters/undead seem highest in cities and townslands. Some places (badlands or low-end rurals) were entirely empty a month or so back. Too bad I never got to try "Enoch the Rogue Mystics' Info Brokering Service".
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)