Author Topic: I'm not leaving.  (Read 8621 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not leaving.
« Reply #15: August 08, 2014, 03:49:45 AM »
I will second that.
Being optimistic and openly showing your affection to the game is inappropriate and distasteful.

You do realize that this thread was made in direct response to a thread where someone said they were leaving because of how toxic the community was becoming? And the kind of passive aggressive sniping that created this thread is an example of why people leave this game.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 08, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
For once I agree with you. It's almost sickening to see how much happiness they get out of mocking someone who is leaving.

You quit because of your reasons, I play because of mine. You can take this thread personal and think it revolves around you but really all I was doing was getting that toxic topic you created (and then I include the reactions) out of my sight and putting something positive in it's place. Or did you think something positive would come out of your thread?

I do enjoy this game, Gustav. I've enjoyed it for over a decade. You seem to have found offense with the community, I haven't. I very much enjoy the community so when people complain about it, it's good to show the other side as well. And to show that this is a game worth playing and to thank the people who work tirelessly to make it so.

Or I could just allow people to badmouth the game I love all the time and not express how I enjoy it. That sounds reasonable..

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 08, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
"I don't leave, but when I do, I stay here..." *flies away*
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 08, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »
You do realize that this thread was made in direct response to a thread where someone said they were leaving because of how toxic the community was becoming? And the kind of passive aggressive sniping that created this thread is an example of why people leave this game.
Lighten up, mate.  ;)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 08, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
This topic is a disgrace! The only topics allowed in General Discussion should be topics about people leaving, and telling (or even better: raging!) us why they are leaving. There is no room for positive vibes on the internet, who does Lorgan think he is? White knight, that's what. We should absolutely not give quitters any chance to be even more offended beyond the point they decided to leave the game and publicly announced they were doing so. Because obviously these people have the skin of an elephant and cannot possible be hurt by topics that are the exact opposite of what they were doing.

I mean, they all had very good and grounded reasons to leave, we should not at all question the dubiousness of their motives, no!

In fact we should pamper those that (are about to) leave, because if we can't have it our way in 2014, we'll find another place where we can go and be disappointed!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 08, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
Much as I agree in general with the sentiment that we shouldn't be deriding people if they feel that the game has, for whatever reason, lost its appeal for them...

I also feel, more strongly, that the overall tone and message of this thread is a much better and more appropriate one than the thread which Gustav started. If you're leaving the game, yes, I'd like to know why—but I'd prefer it to be something said privately, so that Tom, the dev team, and I can work on changing it, rather than airing dirty laundry in public and attempting to provoke reactions from people.

There has been far too much negativity in the game an on the forums in recent years, and while threads like this might make those being negative angry, I think that is better than simply letting all the negative threads stand without challenge.

I know—none better—that BattleMaster has many flaws, and needs a lot of work. But I also know that I'm not alone in believing that despite that, it's still a great game, deserving of better than to get scorn heaped upon it by people who just want to get a little more attention before they go.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 08, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
Any player seeking a meta-game advantage because he doesn't want to lose is bound to receive hostile feedback, regardless of the game and the community. It amounts to asking for special privileges and stands against fair play.

I don't think the BM community is overly negative in regards to this. If you went to play Risk! with a bunch of people you didn't know all too well, and during the game you almost get obliterated by a certain player who seems intent on removing you completely, and then by some miraculous chance the odds are turned and you are now in a position to wipe him out. If he started whining to the other players that you are a bad player and that you should leave him be, without offering anything in return, would that please you? I don't think anyone in that position would be all too found of that guy. Nor would the others being whined to.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 08, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Any player seeking a meta-game advantage because he doesn't want to lose is bound to receive hostile feedback, regardless of the game and the community. It amounts to asking for special privileges and stands against fair play.

I don't think the BM community is overly negative in regards to this. If you went to play Risk! with a bunch of people you didn't know all too well, and during the game you almost get obliterated by a certain player who seems intent on removing you completely, and then by some miraculous chance the odds are turned and you are now in a position to wipe him out. If he started whining to the other players that you are a bad player and that you should leave him be, without offering anything in return, would that please you? I don't think anyone in that position would be all too found of that guy. Nor would the others being whined to.

Yes, that's what I was doing. Seeking a meta-game advantage by trying to keep people from quitting in frustration.  *sarcasm*

Dude, I didn't care about Perdan specifically, I had other characters I could switch to if everything went to !@#$ with that character. No, it was the repeated refusal by the community to put the good of the game before their own immediate gratification that ticked me off. So many times I've heard the excuse that they would do something to change things for the better, then the "but it would go against my characters RP, so I can't" bull!@#$ comes up and nothing changes.

You all wonder why this game is shrinking, why don't you take a good !@#$ing look at yourselves before you start congratulating each other, because this community, which used to be really good, has really gone down the !@#$ter.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 08, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Yes, that's what I was doing. Seeking a meta-game advantage by trying to keep people from quitting in frustration.  *sarcasm*

Dude, I didn't care about Perdan specifically, I had other characters I could switch to if everything went to !@#$ with that character. No, it was the repeated refusal by the community to put the good of the game before their own immediate gratification that ticked me off. So many times I've heard the excuse that they would do something to change things for the better, then the "but it would go against my characters RP, so I can't" bull!@#$ comes up and nothing changes.

You all wonder why this game is shrinking, why don't you take a good !@#$ing look at yourselves before you start congratulating each other, because this community, which used to be really good, has really gone down the !@#$ter.

First of all, "this community" has never really been any significantly different than it is now, in terms of OOC interactions. In fact, it has been quite worse for a great part of its history. Any claim that things are bad now, as opposed to "then", stem from myth more than fact. The culture of how characters ought to be played changed considerably, but that's not the same question.

Please, just do it. Yes, some of our noble characters are being roleplayed as hot-headed, but the majority of us players just want it to end. While I'm on the side who agreed with the ban of a certain player who I won't mention here, as it will just lead to a flame war, the sudden loss of players as they paused/deleted their characters in protest has devastated the realm. We're barely able to put lords into regions, let alone fight a war. It isn't fun any more.

No, I'm not whining that we're losing, but when we start asking for terms and the first response we get is a letter that is basically telling us too go !@#$ off (my own interpretation, not the exact words), it is very disheartening to continue trying to rebuild the realm knowing that we're at the same time in a hopeless war against those who want to tear it down.

This is a letter addressed to people OOC. It calls to the mythical unnamed majority (it's always a majority, isn't it?). They *want* it to end. Because some people *want* it to end, then others should comply to their wishes. Since reaching out to them IC failed, you are now reaching out to everyone else OOC. Since you aren't winning the battles anymore, "it isn't fun any more". You go on to say that you aren't whining about losing, but that is precisely what you are doing. It's like when someone says "no offense, but": what follows is usually rather offensive, or "I'm sorry, but" usually means that one is just trying to be diplomatic but isn't sorry at all.

Yes, I do qualify this as seeking a meta-game advantage. You want OOC interventions from third-parties to compensate for your screwing up IC.

There are sore losers everywhere. Doesn't mean that it's everyone's moral obligation to tend to these sore losers to make sure they don't feel hurt. Losing is part of games, and part of life. If you don't like to lose, you shouldn't play a competitive game to begin with.

The players who reject this kind of attitude aren't the bad guys. They aren't the ones ruining the atmosphere. Imagine a football club where one team would get crushed by the opposing team, so much that they decide to quit mid-game out of frustration. Is the winning team to blame? Are they the one ruining the fun? I don't think so. It's the loser's responsibility to accept defeat as it is a winner's to be humble.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 08, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
Brazil vs Germany all the way...  :'(
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 09, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
I too get frustrated by certain aspects of the Battlemaster culture and sometimes find myself thinking about quitting, but my love for the ongoing epic drama far outweighs my frustration.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
  • Amyclas, Belarus, Aigre Valens
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 11, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo