Author Topic: Message group limit adjustment  (Read 3521 times)

Galvez

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 506
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Message group limit adjustment
« Topic Start: May 27, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
Most democracies and Republics have something like a senate. A group of all Lords and Magistrates. But smaller realms might not be able to give all senators a seat within the senate because of the message group limit.

Amount of Regions + 4 = message group limit
That next to the current system, and he picks the one with the highest limit.

That way, you will always be able to have 4 government members and your Lords within one council.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Indirik

  • Exalted Emperor
  • ******
  • Posts: 10849
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #1: May 27, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
I think the idea is that if you want to have such a large portion of your realm in a message group, then you might as well just talk to the whole realm.

What I'd rather see implemented is a dynamic message groups system. It was originally proposed on the wiki as Councils: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Councils

The idea is that just about every realm has certain groups of people that need to communicate, but have no easy way to do so. Automatically generated councils such as "All Lords/Stewards", "Ruler and all Ambassadors/diplomats", "General, marshals, and vice marshals", etc. would greatly aid in the running of a realm. Trying to manually maintain message groups as a ruler is a real PITA, as you often don't even have all the information you need to keep them up to date. (Who are the vice marshals, who are the stewards, etc.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Galvez

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 506
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #2: May 27, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
I think the idea is that if you want to have such a large portion of your realm in a message group, then you might as well just talk to the whole realm.
There is a distinction between the Senate and the rest of the realm. The Senate is the ruling body.

But allow me to petition for an automatically generated council: "All Lord and Government Members". That would do the trick.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

vonGenf

  • Honourable King
  • *****
  • Posts: 2331
    • View Profile
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #3: May 27, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
I've never a message group limit, what is it currently?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

  • Exalted Emperor
  • ******
  • Posts: 10849
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #4: May 27, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »
Maximum of half the noble count of the realm.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

  • Exalted Emperor
  • ******
  • Posts: 10849
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #5: May 27, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
There is a distinction between the Senate and the rest of the realm. The Senate is the ruling body.
And if the "ruling body" numbers 75% of the realm? Is there really a point of excluding the other 25%?

IIRC, the limit was put in place because some realms were creating a message group that included the entire realm, minus a couple nobles, specifically to exclude them from interacting with the realm. It's behavior like this that results in the limits that you see now.

Quote
But allow me to petition for an automatically generated council: "All Lord and Government Members". That would do the trick.  ;)

Personally, I think that would be a great idea.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Galvez

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 506
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #6: May 28, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »
And if the "ruling body" numbers 75% of the realm? Is there really a point of excluding the other 25%?

IIRC, the limit was put in place because some realms were creating a message group that included the entire realm, minus a couple nobles, specifically to exclude them from interacting with the realm. It's behavior like this that results in the limits that you see now.
I get your point. But we are talking about 1 noble more than the limit allows.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Bedwyr

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #7: May 28, 2011, 02:09:07 AM »
But allow me to petition for an automatically generated council: "All Lord and Government Members". That would do the trick.  ;)

Agreed, that would be excellent and (in theory) shouldn't be hard to code.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Foundation

  • Honourable King
  • *****
  • Posts: 2526
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Message group limit adjustment
« Reply #8: May 28, 2011, 04:00:15 AM »
That is something already discussed ( a few more than warm debates on details) .  Just no one has had the time to implement it.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.