Author Topic: What is your playstyle as a general/marshal?  (Read 17171 times)

Zakilevo

What is your playstyle as a general/marshal?
« Topic Start: August 03, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »
I was wondering what people go for when they lead an army / armies.

As for myself, I prefer forcing my enemies to react to my actions. I also like to hit my enemies as often as possible to give them no time to think or react. This also means I do not like having my armies in one region for too long. As those of you who played with me know well, I am a big fan of fluid tactics, hitting one front then hitting another quickly to keep things moving. I hate making armies work on take overs unless it is absolutely necessary as it makes armies stay in one region for a long time.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:29:45 PM by Lapallanch »

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: What is your playstyle as a general/marshal?
« Reply #1: August 03, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
I care very little about tactics and strategy whenever I'm a general or a marshal. My goal is always to motivate my army and increase movement rate, as well as making sure funds are put towards big, big units. Then it's just a matter of avoiding battles you know you'll lose, fighting those you know you'll win and giving your warriors what they want: battles and gold (from funding and raiding).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 03, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
Always loved marshalling a looting army. Scouting everywhere all the time, using misdirections, constantly looting while moving. Back when I had a good number of active people we did good in Riombara (back when the geopolitics allowed it, later attempts failed utterly) and incredibly against Nothoi. The damage might not have been all that big, considering it wasn't a huge army and lots of hours were spent on scouting and constantly travelling, but it appeared to be quite demoralizing for the enemy as they really had a hard time stopping us.

Looting armies need active players, though. In the later years, when I'd attempt it, no one would ever scout for me, which foiled every attempt. Scout reports are needed at turn change, and the members need to be able to revise their movement later in the turn. Nowadays, it seems like picking out the select few very active nobles just leaves the main army completely disorganized. :/
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 03, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
Ya, I just tried this on war island, scouting definitely was an issue as well as regular troop movement. Ended up largely just stringing the army out through several regions. Any suggestions for most effective forms of looting?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 03, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
I like to keep the fighting on the enemy's lands. Movement rates are important but I don't mind spending a long period of time in one region, or eating a loss if it costs the enemy their army as well. I prefer to destroy the enemy's regions until they can't produce a military anymore.

Ya, I just tried this on war island, scouting definitely was an issue as well as regular troop movement. Ended up largely just stringing the army out through several regions. Any suggestions for most effective forms of looting?

Kill, rape, burn, all day erry day.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Mac Tir

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 03, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
Kill, rape, burn, all day erry day.

Ah. We had received explicit instructions against such acts by the General. Basically confined me to looting gold and food stores.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 04, 2014, 01:28:53 AM »
Pillage and maraud was our default looting type. If we knew taxes were close, we'd sometimes loot for gold to fill up our purses and stay on the field longer, but otherwise scarcely.

We'd also share our looting reports with each other, as well as our foraging reports. It's useful to know when a region is running out of funds, if that's what you are targeting.

The goal, for us as well, was to keep the enemy wasting his time in his own territory instead of being able to attack us, and to decrease his ability to field an army.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 04, 2014, 04:27:59 AM »
Be more active than them and use multis to do all your scouting without delay.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 04, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
Each of my characters have different preferences when they lead the army/armies as General/Marshal/Vice Marshal. But overall here's my playstyle.

Speaking from Strategy

(A) Knowing your lands geography better than your enemies
Good for defensive play. For example, Perdan armies under Atanamir have a bigger CS force and more Infantry than Nivemus armies combined. When you are outnumbered by enemy in terms of these factors, the best you can do is play defensive strategy. This was one of the two times I outsmarted Atanamir with this strategy. I call it as the Salta trap door strategy. When Perdan elite army sitting at Gadlock driving it rogue, our realm morale was at its low moment. My character Brock decided to order his army to make 2 turns move from Oberndorf to Gadlock. We not going to sit back at Oberndorf and play staring match with Perdan army at Gadlock. Then we have some allied armies from Sirion and Eponllyn placed at Salta as late as possible along with a few of our nobles. The allies late movement to Salta would caught Atanamir off guard. As predicted, Atanamir decided to move from Gadlock to Salta, as I know Nivemus local lands very well, Gadlock to Salta travel time is 2-3 turns move. So half Perdan army was caught at battle at Salta arriving too early, another half army had to keep turn around many times between Salta and Gadlock, where Nivemus armies already reached Gadlock. Thus the trapdoor strategy was sprung up where we can place 2 almost evenly matched CS allied armies at both end of 2 regions, making the enemy stuck on the road travels trying to preserve their armies. Having Perdan armies keep moving back and forth between Salta and Gadlock with no end in sight for them to turn around anymore, they decided to face battles where they are now outnumbered. This strategy is what Lapallanch calls "forcing his enemies to react to his actions".
Another time when you see the enemy retreating from their failed assault on your capital city. Separate your armies and allied armies into two armies and move them into 2 regions where enemy would retreat next. Block them at their possible escape route, kill and destroy their Captain and long time units, with local lands Geography and any militia raised by your region lords, all these factors together can swing the battlefields.

(B) Misdirection
I am used to command army outnumbered CS by the enemy countless times. Not a surprise thing when I often joined realms that have lower military CS. In battles, if you know how to make CS do not count, that would be better. When enemy has bigger CS next door region adjacent to my position, while I waiting for my reinforcement to arrive to even the fight, I ordered misdirection to one of precious targets to the enemy. When enemy fall for the misdirection trick, we can move in for a mopping up. Also when no precious target available, we pretend to retreat but route the enemy with reinforcement from a region that is out of enemy view. That would be a bad enemy movement since they do not have scout on possible reinforcement. See point E below where the counter strategy is.

(C) Spy
Banish your own noble, send spy undercover to enemy realm. When enemy suspect there is a spy in their camp and enemy decide to give a false order, I co-operate by reacting to that false order. Give your spy some credibility. For example, spy give me all enemy armies CS information. Do not share with too many people the information. Otherwise get friendly with people outside your realm. Talk with them more, share a little bit of yourself whenever possible. "Sharing is caring" strategy as I call it, this will make all players appreciate being part of the actions even if behind the scene.

(D) Looting
I aim to loot for gold and food, pillage and maraud. Reduce the enemy capability and make the enemy worry about themselves. On some occasions, I would loot and run away from the regions to avoid the peasants. No points educating the peasants who holding pitch forks and shovels high above their heads ready to swing on you, isn't it?

(E) Scout
Send a unitless noble or nobles with unit to scout, an infiltrator to wound their nobles before the big battles. Of course when the infiltrator was caught, prepare an alibi and pretend to disown the infiltrator. Then have the infiltrator come back into service. Also if you have spy as Scout as in point C above, all the better. That is how I know enemy military build up before it all happens, so that I can muster the armies and hit them before they gather together.

(F) Formations
Successful armies often depend on good formation settings that utilize the mix of the units the nobles field. When you have more Infantry than enemy, rushing headlong into the enemies and engage them in melee attacks early on with Infantry Charge formation. Of course if your armies have good range units, try Infantry Wall or place the range units further back with melee units close by.

(G) Identify chokepoint
Identify the defensive chokepoint in your realm as early as possible. You cannot always stay offensive all the time, be ready when your armies got destroyed. For example, Iglavik is a Mountainland with a Palisade wall and a good chokepoint for Oritolon realm. My character who is the region lord who is conducting homeland duty fighting against monsters and undead, she saved a lot of gold fund, let us call it as emergency war fund and place a lot of mix of Infantry and Archer militia at last minute to defend it against the combined attacks of 2 realms successfully.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:37:21 AM by Ketchum »
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 04, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Personally I like empowering my Marshals. I like to create Cohesion in the ranks. Players being Nobles, Marshals or Vice Marshals. This in turn will create activity, fast movements and a higher degree of attention to detail.

Its the little things that win big things I feel. Unit setting, individual strategies for engagements and unit types. When I was general I like to trust and reply on the other Marshals. Give them goals and let them figure it out. Step in only when needed and that should be way before anything bad happens. Give power where its handled responsibly and the whole military blooms imo.

I used to command 4 armies with a 5th in a way. Open up multiple fronts. Deep raiding tactics operating seamlessly next to sieging armies and even a patrol / scouting force. Its not so much about actual grand strategy as it is to get everyone involved and invested.

My only real problem was, I feel, was overstepping my boundaries in relation to the actual ruler of the realm.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: August 04, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I like controlling everything. It is one of the reasons why I get burned out so quickly.

It is good to know everything since you can give out precise orders and you know how much CS you can expect. It usually works out very well since it is the most efficient way to run things. But this method has proven to be very flawed as it counts on one individual too much.

I've been trying to change my style over a year or so and it seems to work out though I am still a long way to go.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 04, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
To what are you trying to change it Lapallanch?

And what could we do to help you out? I'm sure there's plenty to draw from looking at the contributors in this thread.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #12: August 04, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
I like controlling everything. It is one of the reasons why I get burned out so quickly.

It is good to know everything since you can give out precise orders and you know how much CS you can expect. It usually works out very well since it is the most efficient way to run things. But this method has proven to be very flawed as it counts on one individual too much.

I've been trying to change my style over a year or so and it seems to work out though I am still a long way to go.
I know that burn out well. You tend to start making mistakes because of the burnout.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 05, 2014, 12:08:43 AM »
Depends on the character. Enoch would micromanage everything for maximum benifit, Eoric would just keep orders updated (and look for leadership from General/council)....Orobos and Emeric haven't had a chance to shine their particular shines.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: August 05, 2014, 12:28:35 AM »
I know that burn out well. You tend to start making mistakes because of the burnout.

I don't make too many mistakes. Usually I start making them when I get cocky after winning multiple battles in a row.

When I burn out I don't even want to log on send orders out because I feel so exhausted. I haven't left military positions due to my burn out yet though. Unless RL stuff happens, I usually still stick around to send orders out.

I've been trying to create a system to have multiple marshals leading different armies but I made a big mistake on that idea. People live in different time zones... It is really hard to get discussions going when one guy logs in at 10 pm o clock while the other guy logs in at 6 am. Need to figure something out but it is good to know that no style works perfectly.