Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 11398 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #30: August 21, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »
Margraves already have the option to launch a tournament and invite everyone. We don't need to have a hunt option for everyone. It can be nice to have this as a specific option for lower positions - in the same way that some options are reserved for new characters.

It makes little logical sense to forbid high ranking nobility from holding Hunts, especially when the holding of them is supposed to be tied into being prestigious.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 21, 2014, 03:56:11 AM »
It makes little logical sense to forbid high ranking nobility from holding Hunts, especially when the holding of them is supposed to be tied into being prestigious.

However, given the way landholding works in BattleMaster, it makes perfect sense to restrict Hunts to nobles with estates in regions other than cities, strongholds, and townslands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 21, 2014, 04:36:01 AM »
However, given the way landholding works in BattleMaster, it makes perfect sense to restrict Hunts to nobles with estates in regions other than cities, strongholds, and townslands.

Now that I think would be a very interesting way to set it up. Extra points for different hunts for woodland regions VS rurals.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 21, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
Release the hounds!
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 01, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »
I would have gone more with varying odds than a simple on/off switch. I have always viewed region types as describing the most prominent features of a region and never even considered that a towns land region was really 100% town or that a woodland region has nothing but trees.

Woodsland - 50% chance of Deer, Boar, Bear, Wolf...
Rural - 25% chance of X, Y, Z, 30% chance of A, B, C
City - 5% chance of ....

Beyond that, if you consider the hunting domains idea I threw out, Dukes and Kings have much greater access to prime hunting grounds that knights and region lords. When the king holds a hunt the whole realm is his playground while Dukes hunt anywhere within their duchy they please. To join such a hunt is a great honor and a memorable event. When a knight or lord  hosts a hunt they are restricted to their region (optionally reduce the odds for a knight to reflect his estate size), it is a smaller affair and the chances of finding game can be severely limited if their region does have much hunting ground.