Author Topic: Rape, Murder, Pillage  (Read 22484 times)

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Rape, Murder, Pillage
« Topic Start: August 06, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
Because Taselak OOC can't give me more of a headache if anyone tried.

As I said, here is a place to discuss it if it really is so necessary to discuss it OOC.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Rape, Murder, Pillage
« Reply #2: August 06, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
You gotta love it whenever this discussion comes up. We had a big discussion on it in Sandalak, with a couple characters basing election campaigns around it on both sides of the issue.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

saqu0007

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 06, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
Nobles were really horrible to peasants, but most people in the game have their characters follow a code of chivalry and tend to look down on others who don't both IC and OOC. I have always RPed my characters as Machiavellians. The discussion in Taselak has gotten out of hand with name calling, all because I sent an OOC message outlining my OOC opinion for the use of KRB and wondering out loud why so many players are so opposed to it that they actually out number those who] would be willing to use it. As far as I know KRB was commonplace in medieval times and is well documented.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #4: August 06, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
Nobles were really horrible to peasants, but most people in the game have their characters follow a code of chivalry and tend to look down on others who don't both IC and OOC. I have always RPed my characters as Machiavellians. The discussion in Taselak has gotten out of hand with name calling, all because I sent an OOC message outlining my OOC opinion for the use of KRB and wondering out loud why so many players are so opposed to it that they actually out number those who] would be willing to use it. As far as I know KRB was commonplace in medieval times and is well documented.
Ah name calling. Truly a noble position.

To be fair KRB is well documented today too. There are many ways which the knights of BM are not played like the knights of medieval Europe, with a large opposition to KRB being just one of them. The link to the thread in the background section is very interesting reading, but all the sources provided are typically sources by... well, knights to glorify knights from a particularly bloody part of Europe. And they continuously mentions that this rampant destruction is a bad thing. It is well documented too that medieval France produced some incredibly ill-behaved knights who went all over the Mediterranean wreaking havoc, disrespecting everyone, and killing like nightmare warlords.

We have always glorified warlords and mass murderers.  There is also some hypocrisy in what people say and what their game numbers do. Doesn't mean that players in BM can't choose to have their characters not do that. Doesn't mean everyone has to subscribe to the grim dark medieval period where every soldier is a trained psychopath. Particularly in total war where people other than those who really enjoy fighting and murdering get involved (total war in reference to the War Islands). It's a choice and people's choices shape the culture in game.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 06, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
I've had characters with a whole range of opinions on this.  Jenred famously opposed the harsher looting variants, while Malcolm would have calculated how various political factions would react and loot accordingly.  Colin was even more opposed than Jenred, Arlian refused to loot at all (or fight other humans, for that matter), and Lyanthan (my current SI character) is concerned with effectiveness.  He's probably never going to order KRB because of the raping bit, which he sees as unnecessarily risky and inefficient.  It would be better to just kill all who oppose the might of Taselak, if we're not going to convince them to join.

Also, just a note as this has been bothering me, it's not just men in the armies and women that would be raped.  The soldiers in the armies are, presumably, mixed men and women who have mixes of tastes.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 06, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
I think most of the time which bother people is the word rape.

Another thing is that somehow people tend to think that nobles roam in the house and rapes filthy peasants. It is soldiers who go to village and kill and burn and propably rapes...

Do you think when soldiers are ordered to do random acts of violence during hostile take over that soldiers will not rape?

-jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 06, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
KRB is what real-life looting looked like. The stigma on it irritates me immensely but it's kind of hard to change when choosing the option gets your realm into trouble with every chivalric character on the island.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 07, 2014, 02:04:03 AM »
Not doing KRB should have a morale penalty.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 07, 2014, 02:15:38 AM »
My experience with KBR has left me unimpressed. I rarely bothered with even trying it, because when I did, it didn't seem to cause as much damage as pillage and maraud did.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 10, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
Can someone explain me why there is this visceral OOC reaction to all mentions of rape while in-game torture, murder and other types of violence are actually accepted?

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 10, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Can someone explain me why there is this visceral OOC reaction to all mentions of rape while in-game torture, murder and other types of violence are actually accepted?
This. Seriously guys.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 11, 2014, 01:19:59 AM »
loads of white knights

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 11, 2014, 01:36:05 AM »
This. Seriously guys.

Because we live in a society that glorifies violence?

With movies, you can have pretty much all the gore and blood you want, but as soon as you show a boob, then it's for grownups.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #14: August 11, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »
Because torturing peasants and burning villages is for most people low-level medieval fantasy (though not so much these days, sadly), while rape is something that they say has happened or will happen to 1 in 3 of the women in the room you're sitting in right now?

In short, the "immediacy factor".